Thread: STS or LTS

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

STS or LTS

Im looking at tring to find a LTS or a STS which one would be the better buy. I've done some poking around and they seem like really great bikes.

I plan on doing some trail riding with the wife and some more hard stuff with my freinds.

What do you recomend? What should I be looking for.

Thanks

mtbr member
    lts is nicer tha the sts . the titan part is my fave...............

Last edited by kikaha; 03-15-2009 at 03:22 AM.
    you can tell that is a really good bike,when the name is written on the end of the top tube.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    There were a lot more LTS's made than STS, so it should be easier to find an LTS. I've been told the STS was heavier than the same size LTS, but I don't know that for a fact.
    Just go into it knowing that you are buying a bike that's been out of production for 10 years, so some parts will be scarce. That said, I've been riding my LTS since 96 and it has been very reliable - you just need to do regular maintenance.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GT_guy
    There were a lot more LTS's made than STS, so it should be easier to find an LTS. I've been told the STS was heavier than the same size LTS, but I don't know that for a fact.
    Just go into it knowing that you are buying a bike that's been out of production for 10 years, so some parts will be scarce. That said, I've been riding my LTS since 96 and it has been very reliable - you just need to do regular maintenance.
    I know parts will be hard to find but the bike seems to be so solid, that and I like to tinker and fix things.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Most parts can still be found from BETD in the UK, so not hard to find really.

As for LTS vs STS. The lts would be better choice since its more durable. The sts has issues cracking where the aluminium bonds with the thermoplastic. I have both types, 2 STS frames and one LTS, one sts has cracked at the headtube, the other is unused. The lts would be the bike i would trust not to break this way. The sts is alot prettier tho.

nothing too modern for me

Lts

I own 2 LTS's

One in original 1997 spec, Acid Orange annodised, the other I bought as an unused frame a few years ago that had sat on a shelf for almost 10 years, It had never had components put on it, I fitted full BETD bearings to them both & they ride fantastic

both were ridden this weekend on a 3 1/2 hour ride and kept up with any new bike on the trail, one was used by my brother who has never really ridden a bike before & love it also.

I would never part with them, there top bikes still to this day.

1997 GT LTS 1000 DS original other than adding rear rockshox disc brake & new white industries rear hub

2007 GT LTS 1000 DS built with components from 2007/8