I Fought The Lawn

Streetfighter Project Build Thread. Pics, stories and general b*tchiness inside.

I have a favorite bike. It's nearly old enough to have a high school education, its heavy, and it isn't top-of-the line. But I love it because it fits, it's hideous, and it, for all intents and purposes, sucks. It keeps me aware of where I once was, and where I am today.

My favorite bike is not my 21 lb. American-made Trekky Fisher.
    Streetfighter Project Build Thread. Pics, stories and general b*tchiness inside.-121117_0003.jpg

It is not my high-polished, fully-functional LTS-1 resto.
    Streetfighter Project Build Thread. Pics, stories and general b*tchiness inside.-121115_0016.jpg

It isn't even my brand new Cannondale F29.
    Streetfighter Project Build Thread. Pics, stories and general b*tchiness inside.-5.jpg

All of those bikes are phenominal. They cost me arms, legs, and a little sanity... but they lack something. True Character. Grit.

In this vain pursuit, I am going to take my favorite bike, and I'm going to turn it into a streetfighter.

Sacrilege.

The bike doesnt have the geometry for modern-day XC (actually allow me the rephrase. Replace "bike" with "rider") and I have been bitten by the 29er bug. I am afraid my venerable 26" HT has no place on trails any longer.

It is time for good old fashioned low-travel, thick slick, tall geared, short stemmed New York City block-to-block hammering.

This is my beloved 1997 GT Avalanche. This is our story. We begin....

Streetfighter Project Build Thread. Pics, stories and general b*tchiness inside.-120824_0001.jpg

The frame came to me with several nasty paint jobs, including one from me. This is mid-strip. This took way more time than it should have.

Streetfighter Project Build Thread. Pics, stories and general b*tchiness inside.-120824_0005.jpg

Yes. You see correctly. I have invented... a new color.

I call it Schei▀oleum.

Streetfighter Project Build Thread. Pics, stories and general b*tchiness inside.-120824_0006.jpg

A couple coats... not too terrible...

Streetfighter Project Build Thread. Pics, stories and general b*tchiness inside.-120824_0007.jpg

Eagle-eyed readers will notice a BB in the shell. That is a perfectly wasted BB-UN55 keeping place. (Also great place to hang and paint a frame.)

Streetfighter Project Build Thread. Pics, stories and general b*tchiness inside.-120825_0003.jpg

Paint. Done.

Streetfighter Project Build Thread. Pics, stories and general b*tchiness inside.-120826_0013.jpg

I had a spare... everything... laying around, and did a quick mock-up before taking the frame to my shop for finalizing.

Streetfighter Project Build Thread. Pics, stories and general b*tchiness inside.-121005_0005.jpg

Stringing, tightening, coffee-ing.

I loved the way this bike rode... the picture above was shot around two weeks before we got slammed by Hurricane Sandy. Because of this, laziness and the destruction of one new bike and the delivery of yet another new bike to replace it, I have no ride shots for you. Apology.

{Winter, coldness, and more laziness happen}

So it's Springtime now, and here we are. I pilfered most of the bits off the Avalanche to use on the almost-constantly-in-need-of-something LTS (unhealthy addiction to that bike, no idea why.) and my favorite bike sat, an unused frame.

Streetfighter Project Build Thread. Pics, stories and general b*tchiness inside.-20130405_172852-s.jpg

I had an idea... I am also a car enthusiast, and within the last few years had seen a few imports done with a vinyl technique known as "bombing"

Streetfighter Project Build Thread. Pics, stories and general b*tchiness inside.-20130405_172834-s.jpg

Let's get started. Hit up some freebies sites for promo stickers for a base and picked up a stickerbomb book for under twenty bucks shipped from Britain

Name:  272599.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  62.6 KB

This is what it looks like. Buy one if you want to successfully do this.

Name:  bitburger-ad.jpg
Views: 1017
Size:  55.1 KB

We also bought some of this.

Streetfighter Project Build Thread. Pics, stories and general b*tchiness inside.-20130405_175017-s.jpg

Moving along...

Streetfighter Project Build Thread. Pics, stories and general b*tchiness inside.-20130405_175022-s.jpg

Almost there...

Streetfighter Project Build Thread. Pics, stories and general b*tchiness inside.-20130405_190843-s.jpg

And done! On the hanger for final inspection and eeny weeny sticker application.

Streetfighter Project Build Thread. Pics, stories and general b*tchiness inside.-20130405_191645-s.jpgStreetfighter Project Build Thread. Pics, stories and general b*tchiness inside.-20130405_191653-s.jpgStreetfighter Project Build Thread. Pics, stories and general b*tchiness inside.-20130405_191728-s.jpgStreetfighter Project Build Thread. Pics, stories and general b*tchiness inside.-20130405_191736-s.jpg

There we are... The basis for my Streetfighter.

I have left some open spots for component prep, new headset, collar, and bottom bracket. When the frame is faced and chased, i will polish off the smalller details.

Next time, We hang parts. I have a spare Dyna-Sys group laying about from my crashed '12 Avalanche that I will install.. I need to buy a fork, wheels and tires for it. I'm thinking 2.5" Maxxis Hookworms. Any thoughts?

Thanks for Reading!
    '13 Cannondale F29
    '01 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
    '98 Manitou FS
    '97 GT Avalanche
    '97 GT LTS-1

Nice day for a ride.....
    Cool project, all those stickers make quite the interesting looking frame. Can't wait to see it done.
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

mtbr member

Re: Streetfighter Project Build Thread. Pics, stories and general b*tchiness inside.

Awesome...

I Fought The Lawn
    Has it been over a year already? well... looks like it's time to continue my 1997 Avalanche Streetfighter!

I scrapped the idea of putting the DynaSys group on, in favor of hanging it on the LTS... It needed the extra grunt that the 11-36 10 speed cassette gives with the SRAM 22/33/44 crank. I learned that I just dont have the chutzpah to move this thing up an actual mountain.

Streetfighter Project Build Thread. Pics, stories and general b*tchiness inside.-20140424_181504.jpg

I also donated my 2001 Fisher to my brother, I outgrew it since high school and it just collects spiders.

The new plan is to use some parts off the fisher, some from my vast reserves of weirdy old parts, and a couple of new items to create my low-budget project!

This is where we left off after last time: The frame sits with it's damaged sister among my tire and fork stash
    Streetfighter Project Build Thread. Pics, stories and general b*tchiness inside.-20140612_192642.jpg
    Streetfighter Project Build Thread. Pics, stories and general b*tchiness inside.-20140612_192708.jpg

It's time to say goodbye to my old friend, Who will be repurposed as a sister project done by my brother. Stay tuned within the MTBR pages for his results!

Streetfighter Project Build Thread. Pics, stories and general b*tchiness inside.-20140612_204922.jpg

Stripped the wheels, crank, bb, and derailleurs off the Hoo Koo E Koo to use later.

I decided to use some kind of protective layer over the stickers so that I can stave off the flow of inevitable carnage that will occur over it's service life.

Streetfighter Project Build Thread. Pics, stories and general b*tchiness inside.-20140612_192634.jpg

I wanted to use PlastiDip, but was unable to source some locally. I ended up with this. It seems much more temporary so I bought two cans, one to use on the bike and one to drink when the first one ruins all my work.

Streetfighter Project Build Thread. Pics, stories and general b*tchiness inside.-20140612_192529.jpg

Test handlebar returns! Also my sweet f*cking lawnmower #30somethingthrills

After successful testing in my barely controlled environment, I declared the can of Rustoleum to be "Good Enough" and the second stage of the project was a green light!

Streetfighter Project Build Thread. Pics, stories and general b*tchiness inside.-20140612_221706.jpg

A man with a can of spray paint is a dangerous thing... Also broke out the sticker book for touching up and detailing.

Over the many, many, many years that I have worked in the bike industry, I amassed a healthy collection of spare parts.

Streetfighter Project Build Thread. Pics, stories and general b*tchiness inside.-20140612_213458.jpg

Among them being a nearly complete M950 XTR groupset!

Also pictured here is my Judy DH (with NOS Judy XC LT Lowers which I am on the fence about using for color matching), A HUGE Syncros seatpost, a NOS Bullet Bros. 3DV Chain Tensioner, Salsa Ti Rasta skewers, Ritchey Logic Pedals, a CS-M750 and some odds and ends from the 2012 Avalanche that I wrecked during the hurricane.

Interesting work happens here, I am my own cameraman this time, so no pics of me doing bike building.

But eventually....

Streetfighter Project Build Thread. Pics, stories and general b*tchiness inside.-20140612_231646.jpg

Little baby's on her feet and looking like a bicycle!

Streetfighter Project Build Thread. Pics, stories and general b*tchiness inside.-20140612_231349.jpg

I'm questioning the geometry of the front a bit. It's looking like its a little short in the stem area... I have a neat KORE stem that I may substitute if shakedown proves the bike to be a little jittery.

Streetfighter Project Build Thread. Pics, stories and general b*tchiness inside.-20140612_231833.jpg

Raaarr!

Streetfighter Project Build Thread. Pics, stories and general b*tchiness inside.-20140612_231935.jpg

Here is the Non-Drive side, I love having a frame where everywhere you look is different things to see!

Streetfighter Project Build Thread. Pics, stories and general b*tchiness inside.-20140612_232008.jpg

Here's a picture of the office. I know that the wheel is crooked.

Streetfighter Project Build Thread. Pics, stories and general b*tchiness inside.-20140612_232018.jpg

Detail shot of the brake bridge, you can see that the frame is by no means beautiful, and this part is rough to work with.

Streetfighter Project Build Thread. Pics, stories and general b*tchiness inside.-20140612_232025.jpg

Detail shot of the top and down tubes to show the sticker styles.

Streetfighter Project Build Thread. Pics, stories and general b*tchiness inside.-20140612_232410.jpg

In it's new storage bay, next to it's sisters!

Im anxious to hear everyone's feedback before I button her up and take her on the first shakedown!

You will join me next time in my shop for a chain and strings!

Expect full documentation of the test flight, comrades!

'13 Cannondale F29
    '98 Manitou FS
    '97 GT Avalanche
    '97 GT LTS-1

I Fought The Lawn
    Finished, for now!
    Streetfighter Project Build Thread. Pics, stories and general b*tchiness inside.-20140626_203755.jpg
    Maiden voyage, in the subway!
    Streetfighter Project Build Thread. Pics, stories and general b*tchiness inside.-20140627_013932.jpg
    Looks good hanging with her sisters!
    '13 Cannondale F29
    '98 Manitou FS
    '97 GT Avalanche
    '97 GT LTS-1