mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Steel GT's...we want!

I sent an email to GT sort of blindly in frustration the other night. I actually received a response in like a day...

Subject: Make chromoly frames again!

Dear GT,

Please, please introduce a good, high grade, chromoly mountain bike
    frame again. There are a huge number of people still trying to make old
    Tequestas and Karakorams work with modern components. I have a Tequesta
    that has lost its feel because of the new fork heights. There isn't a
    bike out there like the GT today. IT WOULD SELL.
    Visit here to see how far some people are willing to go to try and make
    old frames work!
    http://forums.mtbr.com/gt/

Sincerely,
    David Baker

This is the reply from David Chancellor at GT.

Hi David,

Thanks for your email. I'm not at all in disagreement with you and will
    certainly pass your email on. The Ruckus and Peace series bikes with
    cro-moly frames have all been rather successful and there is certainly
    good demand for steel frame bikes today.

Best wishes,

Dave at GT Bikes

Maybe all they need is a little encouragement? Is anyone else on board with the idea of a good quality chro-moly steel GT TripleTriangle frame built on current geometry???

mtbr member
    Didn't they just make a Zaskar re-issue with modern geometry?

mtbr member
    Yes they did make a Re-Issue Zaskar with modern geometry and your message received by David Chancellor will fall on deaf ears. I've been sending messages to national sales directors and even directly to Mark Peteman the GT VP of Product Development with kind responses back but never what I've asked for in product. I guess they feel their past customers aren't their best customers. Seems like they are more interested in producing boing-boing bikes for the younger set these days and have totally forgotten what got them where they once stood in the marketplace.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    Ouch, I know from marketing and sales folks that past customers are more important because to be honest, it cost less to retain current consumers as compared with attracting new ones. I have a Peace 9r that I love, but it took a lot of carbon to get the bike to be a competitor. You are correct a higher end steel frame would be fantastic and I believe there was or is a proto version. Give me a couple days and I will ask, the folks I ask won't be as PC and will tell me straight up if it's going to happen and if not why. It might take a couple days as most of the GT staff are checking out new digs out east.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    You know what I miss? My GT Moto I put together for urban riding. I just saw the slope style bike GT debuted at the Sea Otter and was wondering how that would work for a full suspension Urban ride. That thing looks sweet. I hope they bring it out so I can get one. My wife won't be happy if I end up having the 4 GTs I already have and then add a 9er and that slope style GT.
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Sweet!!!

Hopefully when everyone gets back, you have some great news for us Lee!!

I've often thought they should swap the Peace Multi name out and have a Psyclone and Psyclone 9r? Leave the Peace name for the single speeds.

While we're on the topic I would love to see some of those old names come back. I love the Avalanche but it feels like there are a hundred models of it!

Bring back the Karakoram and Psyclone........ and maybe Xizang? Or is that asking too much????
    I'm Ron Burgundy?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Here's a link to pinkbike on that slopestyle bike. I really like it. I'll have mine in white please!

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/gt-slop...9.html?trk=rss
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Only three in existence..
    Oh you TEASE!

Fortunately I am past my days of wild rides and just look forward to zipping along on the single track.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I don't care what colour that comes in hook me up!!!
    I'm Ron Burgundy?