mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Sizing! Sizing! Sizing!!!

I currently am riding 22" '91 karakoram. I have found a '91 Karakoram Elite in 20"; do you think that would be too small for me. I am 6'1".

thanks,

iluvgt

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    What is the TTL of each bike?

mtbr member
    Questions:
    #1) Where are you riding it streets or trails?
    #2) How are you measuring the 22" and the 20" from center of BB to the center of the top tube? (Not the seat tube length?)
    #3) What's your inseam?

At 6'1" if you are aggressively riding trails you should not be on a 22" c-c GT...it's too big plain and simple...what's more important your family jewels or a half inch in top tube length? You can always play with saddle position, setback seat posts and stem length if the top tube length is an issue. SAFETY FIRST!!!
    I know a number of guys that are 6'5" that ride 22" GT's. Most of the guys I know that are 6'3" ride 19-20 GT's.
    To get a 19" you have to buy a Zaskar or Xizang though as all others were made in even sizing only.

I'm 6' with a 32.5 inseam and I ride an 18" GT. I have about 2.5 inches of top tube clearance when I straddle my bike on level ground. When I straddle the bike on a 15% grade (like when you can't make a hill and need to jump down) I don't have any clearance.....Safety first
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Sizing

I am not sure of the top tube length. The 22" is being converted to a single speed to basically get on a go type of bike. I.E., around the neighborhood with the kids etc. It will not see any aggressive riding. On the other hand, the 20" maybe a candidate for off roading. The 22" I have now is a '91 Inferno. The 20" is a '91 Karakoram Elite in Night Sky and the seller has come down on the price from $250 to $120. It seems too good to pass up. Thoughts, concerns, opinions would be greatly appreciated. I am 6'1" 240lbs with a 30"inseam.

many thanks,

i luv gt

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ILUVGT
    I am not sure of the top tube length. The 22" is being converted to a single speed to basically get on a go type of bike. I.E., around the neighborhood with the kids etc. It will not see any aggressive riding. On the other hand, the 20" maybe a candidate for off roading. The 22" I have now is a '91 Inferno. The 20" is a '91 Karakoram Elite in Night Sky and the seller has come down on the price from $250 to $120. It seems too good to pass up. Thoughts, concerns, opinions would be greatly appreciated. I am 6'1" 240lbs with a 30"inseam.

many thanks,

i luv gt

20" is way to big for a 30" inseam IMHO. 18's are the most popular size hold out if you must have an Elite or grab a standard Karakoram in an 18 they're laying around all over the country between 75 and 300 depending upon condition and whether or not suspension forked and of coarse eagerness of the seller to part with them.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.