mtbr member
    Jul 2008

single speed conversion

would like to convert my '95 karakoram to a a single speed. Is this possible? What kinda drop outs are there?

thyanks in advance,

Rob

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    They should be vertical dropouts. You will need a singleator in order to be able to tighten the chain. They now have singlespeed conversion kits to help you make it easier instead of shopping for the parts one by one. If you buy online, jensonusa.com, pricepoint.com, etc..... usually have great deals but check with your local bike dealer to get that special extra care and attention first if you are gonna need the help. You can't beat the personal help of an IBD. I'm gonna do the same to my Karakoram frame as soon as I get it from my sister in Indianapolis. Good luck with your build and don't forget to post pics when it's all done.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Thanks for your help

thanks a million!!! Am probably gonna get the frame powder coated as well.

rob

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Cool, This one is mine. I bought it off a guy in Indianapolis for $5.00. My sister picked up for me and it's been sitting in her garage for a while now. I'm in Oklahoma City, Ok. and I just haven't visited this year. I thought about getting mine powder coated or anodized. I'm digging the flashy purple color so I may have it done the same color. My sis told me the color was faded but that the frame looked in pretty good shape. I can't wait to pick it up this Thanksgiving. What color is your Kara?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I'm doing the same thing as I have both a 96' Talera frame and just got a 99' Palomar frame. The Palomar frame is in nicer shape, but I think it is quite a bit heavier than the Talera. I would LOVE to go the powdercoat route, although I am trying to keep it on the cheap. I have the threaded fork I was going to use from the Palomar but it seems kind of heavy as well. Grrrrrrrrrrr! I dunno what to do...lol
    "Friends Don’t Let Friends Get Friends Haircuts”

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    A GT Talera was my first mountain bike. I wish I still had it. My Kara has a 1 1/8 headtube so I'm gonna get a mountain bike carbon fork. I'm gonna really deck it out with as much carbon as possible. I'm not rich, so it may be another year until you guys get to see a picture of it. LOL. I'm gonna try and find some lightweight wheels in white to match the decals and totally offset the purple color. It's gonna be my hobby bike. No racing, just cruisin down the trail kinda bike. Well, that is my dream but we'll see what happens. I gotta get the frame from Indy to Okc first. Hee hee hee!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

My Kara Color

here is a pict
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    That's the same color that my Talera was. Cool ride bro.