Thread: Sensor 9er

FKA Malibu412

Sensor 9er

So, anyone out there riding the 2010.5 Sensor 9er? I'd be interested in reading some opinions on it. I may stop by Performance and take it on an urban assault test run
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Not much info on them. Someone else requested the same thing earlier in the year and didn't get detailed info. I'd like to know more myself.

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107
    Not much info on them. Someone else requested the same thing earlier in the year and didn't get detailed info. I'd like to know more myself.
    Here's more info but probably not what anyone interested wants to hear. Went by my nearest Performance (there are 4 within 50 miles of me) to see if they had a Sensor 9r in any size in stock. Nothing. Nada. Zip. Zilch. None in the other locations either. Three in XL in the warehouse and they said they can get one in for me to check out in about 10 days. Since I'm only looking, I said no.

Here's where it gets kinda wierd to me. While other shops that sell other brands can't keep FS 29ers on the shelves for too long, the manager of this particular Performance said they won't stock a bike at that price point because it just sits on the floor. He said no one ever comes in asking about the Sensor 9er. Again, weird since other makes are moving 29ers nicely.

He then went on to say Walmart is his biggest competitor and people freak at $1000+ bikes. I wanted to say "duh, every bike shop in the US can say that."

So here you have one of GTs largest retailers (REI is the other and they don't put them on the floor either) not putting one of their flagship products on the floor for people to touch, examine, caress, test ride, get googly-eyed over and write the check. It's no wonder people have a tough time taking GT seriously. Not GTs fault but its too bad Performance is a primary outlet.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Sensor 9r

Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412
    So, anyone out there riding the 2010.5 Sensor 9er? I'd be interested in reading some opinions on it. I may stop by Performance and take it on an urban assault test run
    I've been looking and testing some Gary Fisher HiFis (Deluxe, Plus, Pro) for nearly 2 months waiting to find an XL. Performance bikes is 5 minutes from my house, so I stopped by. I heard about the Sensor 9r, but never saw the bike get released. I was shocked when they said they just got in my size (XL) with SLX components. Apparently, they are starting to sell an all XT component version Sensor 9r Expert, but they didn't have that bike. It's almost $1k more. I can build this bike to full XT for a lot less than $1k.

I took the bike for a ride and bought it 2 weeks ago. Guys, seriously look at this bike if you are in the market. It is a beast and relatively light. The shop guys were very interested in it and said it weighed 29.9 lbs. Not bad for an FS XL 29er frame.

The deals are fantastic right now. $1,799 + 10% off + 10% credit towards anything in store + $50 coupon off. All in it was less than $1,600 with tax. Plus, I upgraded to an XT crank set for $120 with installation. You cannot find a better deal in that price range if you ask me. Specs are really quite solid. Fox forks with lockouts, new 15mm QR through-axle design. Elixer 5 brakes, SLX/XT components, etc...My buddy just ordered an L frame version and it arrived in 2 days.

Ride...I ride in Northern Virginia, so not as aggressive as West coast trails. The bike has a very plush ride. It really doesn't have any faults. Climbs just fine, downhill is stable and fast. I was nervous about the handling with the 29er, but zero issues even in tight turn spots. I'm coming from a low end Trek HT, so it obviously feels a lot better overall. I'm 6' 3" and this ride is perfect compared to the HiFi bikes I tested. I couldn't get real set on the HiFis, but the Sensor 9r was easy to jump in and go fast.

Sorry for long post, but I'm very very happy with this bike and the price. The new 2011 Sensor 9r will be at least $500-750 more and those neon colors look too flashy for my taste. Also, the color is much better looking in person. If you want, I can post pics.
    2010 GT Sensor 9r

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm in Montgomery Co. MD and the Performance stores' stock is always puzzling. There is no way I can buy one and it's disappointing that that every 9er is a special order. I just want to throw my leg over a Med., maybe sit and balance with my elbow against the shelves and contemplate the fit and position.

This past April I finally found a 2009 Marathon 9er in Large at the Rockville store. Too big for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Just picked up a used one of these. So far I love it. More of a roadie but I will be in the woods more with this bike. May get the rear shock serviced as I notice some oil leaking at the adjustment nob when I run higher psi.