mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Schwinn Rocket 88 Stage 3 (2001) Upgrades

Hello All,

I am looking to upgrade the shocks on my frame. I am wondering what is compatible and if I can get say 5 to 6 inches of travel out of her.

My set up is stock Manitou SX 3" in the front and Fox Foat 3.5" in the rear.

Thanks for any insight and recomendations.

L7

contains quinine
    I ran a Black 120 on my Rocket for about a year. It choppered the bike out a bit, and affected the rear suspension a bit. It worked pretty good on the downhills out here in Colorado, but it wasn't an ideal match with the rear suspension.

I've upgraded to an Enduro since then, and have been quite happy.

If I were to do it again, I'd stick to a 100mm fork, for a more balanced ride.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

mtbr "member"

Nope, stuck at 3.5 in the rear.

I thought about this too. But the rear suspension on a 2001 Rocket 88 is limited to the max "bottom" of the suspension's travel. The lower link arm will hit the bottom bracket shell. I know this because I bought a Cane Creek AD12 that was 6.5 x 1.5 stroke. Turns out the stroke was probably 1.6 or 1.7. Just enough extra to let the lower rocker arm hit the BB shell every time the suspension extended or rebounded from compression. Had to sell it and buy a FOX.

So you're stuck with a 6.5 eye to eye shock. The 3.5" of travel seems OK for the frame anyway though. Anything more, you'll probably want a different frame anyway.

As for the front, I'm running a 90 mm White Brothers with is perfect in travel and steering angle. so a 100 mm fork should do fine.

I use it mostly for the intended XC stuff though. My Dakar XLT for more agressive riding and my Giant AC for hucking off stuff.

Enjoy

REEK

Time is not a road.
    I ran a 100mm Marz Atom on mine and it did fine. The extra travel up front is nice. But anything more than that would be too much and affect the geometry. That bike just isn't up to the task of "long travel", so get yourself a Straight 6 and conquer the mtn.

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by Debaser
    I ran a Black 120 on my Rocket for about a year. It choppered the bike out a bit, and affected the rear suspension a bit. It worked pretty good on the downhills out here in Colorado, but it wasn't an ideal match with the rear suspension.

I've upgraded to an Enduro since then, and have been quite happy.

If I were to do it again, I'd stick to a 100mm fork, for a more balanced ride.

So what did you do with your old Rocket? I've often thought that this bike was a great FS race bike, but it bobbed way too much. The bottom bracket is a bit low, too, but that's what makes it racy. A new RP3 would be great with maybe a Minute 2 or a Reba...if only I had the money...

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    So what did you do with your old Rocket? I've often thought that this bike was a great FS race bike, but it bobbed way too much. The bottom bracket is a bit low, too, but that's what makes it racy. A new RP3 would be great with maybe a Minute 2 or a Reba...if only I had the money...
    It's hanging on the garage wall. Frame, shock, seatpost, begging for someone to put her back into use. The rest

I never had much of an issue with it bobbing much. Fwiw, I set the sag at about 10mm. Pro pedal would only have helped, I suppose.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

mtbr "member"

No bob issues here either.

I actually thought that the rear was a bit too stiff. That's why I tried the cane creek in the first place.

Now I actually have the shock 40 lbs less than "suggested" PSI for my 200 lbs of body weight

REEK

only slightly broken
    [QUOTE=Reek] I know this because I bought a Cane Creek AD12 that was 6.5 x 1.5 stroke. Turns out the stroke was probably 1.6 or 1.7. Just enough extra to let the lower rocker arm hit the BB shell every time the suspension extended or rebounded from compression. Had to sell it and buy a FOX.
    So you're stuck with a 6.5 eye to eye shock. The 3.5" of travel seems OK for the frame anyway though. Anything more, you'll probably want a different frame anyway.

It's the length of the shock itself that limits things. The stroke makes no difference
    in full extension. A 6.5 eye to eye shock with 1.75" stroke isn't any longer than
    a 1.5" stroke at full extension, it just gets 1/4 inch shorter, which means it compresses
    farther. You get more travel by the bottom bracket getting closer to the ground at
    full compression. It tops out at the same place as long as the eye to eye is the same.
    I only mention this because I have been riding my 01 88 disc for a few years with
    a 6.5 x 1.75 vanilla rc off a turner xce and it works very very well. Pretty much the
    only way I can think of to get 4 inches out of an 01 rocket. Works great all around
    with a Zoke Atom 100.

patrick

mtbr "member"

I realize this...

Quote Originally Posted by pffft

It's the length of the shock itself that limits things. The stroke makes no difference
    in full extension. A 6.5 eye to eye shock with 1.75" stroke isn't any longer than
    a 1.5" stroke at full extension, it just gets 1/4 inch shorter, which means it compresses
    farther. You get more travel by the bottom bracket getting closer to the ground at
    full compression. It tops out at the same place as long as the eye to eye is the same.
    I only mention this because I have been riding my 01 88 disc for a few years with
    a 6.5 x 1.75 vanilla rc off a turner xce and it works very very well. Pretty much the
    only way I can think of to get 4 inches out of an 01 rocket. Works great all around
    with a Zoke Atom 100.

patrick

What I meant by my statement was that it was a 6.5 x 1.5 stroke as advertised. But the stroke was probably extended a mm or two so that at full extension the true eye to eye was 6.6 or 6.7 instead of 6.5 inches.

As for a 1.75 stroke shock I'm sure as long as you have clearance (I'm sure you do) for an extra .25 inches of shock compression, this should work just fine on any frame as the extension eye to eye is still 6.5.

I actually went with a 7.785 x 2.25 stroke shock on one of my other bikes to increase the travel a bit over the stock 7.785 x 2 stroke shock. Same idea as you were stating. Works fine!!!

Thanks for keeping the old/real Schwinns alive!!!

REEK

ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Debaser
    It's hanging on the garage wall. Frame, shock, seatpost, begging for someone to put her back into use. The rest

I never had much of an issue with it bobbing much. Fwiw, I set the sag at about 10mm. Pro pedal would only have helped, I suppose.
    Yep. I ran 10mm normal and around 7mm when I was racing. The Rocket had a very efficient design. Ahead of it's time, even. I look at bikes now like the new Maestro Giants and the Rocky Mt ETSX designs and see that they are quite similar. Bummer, the Rocket got a bad rap because of the concentrick bb pivot with bushings for '00. The 2001 is a great bike. I've been tossing the idea around of building my stage 1 back up. Probably will never happen, but it's a good thought...
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Hello, I just bought a schwinn rocket 88 stage 3 0km brand new and I wanted me to recommend a rear shock and a fork. Please measurements in cm and not inches.

Witch is the original size ( in cm) of the shock?

any recommendation to extend the useful life of the pedal pivot area

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogui View Post
    Hello, I just bought a schwinn rocket 88 stage 3 0km brand new and I wanted me to recommend a rear shock and a fork. Please measurements in cm and not inches.

Witch is the original size ( in cm) of the shock?

any recommendation to extend the useful life of the pedal pivot area
    I have a 2001 Rocket 88... near mint thats been on the wall for 10 years. I just put a new Rock Shox Recon Silver 80-120mm Air fork on it and its great. I did a 20 mile ride last weekend and still can't believe how great the bike rides for being 10 years old. Rear shock you want to find Fox Float R if possible with lockout (I think that was the the shock on stage 1).

Last edited by mosslager; 08-31-2011 at 09:44 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    MAN! mosslager that bike looks pristine! I love my rocket and am actually going to drop some cash and get a new fork, disc brakes and disc wheelset for her. Yeah, shes old, but the bike still kicks arse! Ill have to post a pic of mine.