mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Sanction Suspension woes

I'm having some issues with the Sanction. I love this bike but I'm starting to have my concerns. First, I've had it down at the shop three times to tighten the main pivot so it won't creak anymore. Now it's doing it again before I'm heading out to Mammoth. On top of that, the Lyric fork is leaking oil and will continue to do so until I get the backordered parts from SRAM. There is no delivery date. I bought the bike at Performance and I'm considering taking it back since they have a return policy there that is pretty good. I know that several others are having the Lyric problem and it seems like I-drive owners get this creaking from the main pivot too. I'm wondering if I should ditch while I can or ride it out. Ideas?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I've sold and ridden the Sanction, its a great platform. If its creaking try pulling the dropouts off and putting anti seize on there. Yes, it works. the fork, Sram should take care of it. thats all I got

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I'm with "boonen05" on the rear dropouts, I have done 6 or 7 which had a creak which sounded like the main pivot and they were all fixed by removing and lubing the rear dropout. Don't give up on it to early as it's a great bike

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Thanks guys. That makes me feel a whole lot better. I don't want to take the bike back. There's not a lot out there that can compete at that price spec with the truly unique and finished look the GT has. I'm going to try to put some lube on the dropouts before heading to work.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    A thousand thanks guys! Worked for the most part. Time will tell. The creak/grinding noise is gone! I used the Park Tool 1000 Lube on it and took it for a quick test ride. I'm so relieved right now. Now I can go to Mammoth and enjoy it fully. I'm so picky when it comes to noises. I had just worked to get the drive train buttery smooth and then that reared it's head. I think we should post this up for other riders. Do the older I-drive models have the same dropouts? Or is it just the pivots that are problematic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Hey, great to see everything working out for you. It seems this only affects the new force and sanction models, my 3 year old I-drive 5 which has the same droputs has been trouble free from day one and the many people I know with them have also had no issues.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Yes, the bike just shredded at Mammoth for me. I was still getting used to it and the loose conditions but I didn't have any issues with the bottom bracket, dropouts, pivot, or the the front fork performing when needed.

mtbr member
    I have a Force 3.0 and have the same bad noise problems. I know its not hurting the bike but the noise drives me bonkers. Original bike shop couldn't seem to fix the issue so I took it to a new bike shop that also sells GTs to see if this place can fix the problem. They seemed to have dealt with the problem before. If what they do doesn't work, I'll ask them to look at the rear dropouts. Thanks for posting the tips.

Love the bike. Love the price. Hate the noise.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I'm putting up a post to help others with some of the quirks. You'll see it in a minute

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    You guys lubing the rear dropouts...can you be more descriptive? What exactly is making the noise? The dropout against the frame legs?