mtbr member
    Jul 2009

RTS frame cracks

Hello, I discovered yesterday some devastating findings as my RTS has not one but 2 fine line cracks in the rear frame near the bottom bracket and near the end closer to the dropout. I h've had the frame since new since 95, but I haven't submitted it to any abuse. Can these cracks be repaired somehow or is this the near end of my beloved RTS? any suggestions? (jb weld?) Thanks!

George

What could go wrong ...
    which model RTS do you have ... some had CroMo swingarms and some had AL swingarms ... the CroMo might be able to be fixed/welded ... the AL probably not because even if you had it welded you probably wont be able to have it heat treated after welding
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    It is a RTS-3, ball barnished finished and I believe it is aluminum? it has a sticker that reads 7000 series?

What could go wrong ...
    from your description in the first post it sounds like you have cracks in the chainstay on the swingarm ... all the RTS had a AL main frame but they had different rear swingarms ... is yours silver or is it painted black ... if its silver its AL if its black its CroMo (steel)

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    unfortunately it is silver so it is aluminum, any suggestions? thanks!

What could go wrong ...
    yeah do like I do and keep an eye on ebay for a donor frame and swap out the swingarm

all the swingarms are the same size no matter what size the frame is

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks, it is just hard to understand were the fatigue came from as I really haven't abuse the bike as I mainly use it on sidewalks but never taken it downhill. D o you think it is safe to continue using it on the road? I have slicks on it. What do you think about the new GT frames made in China? Thanks! I appreciate your input!

George

mtbr member
    RTS-3's especially the first year had a lot of problems with lower stay cracks. Would not ride it even on the road.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoke2
    from your description in the first post it sounds like you have cracks in the chainstay on the swingarm ... all the RTS had a AL main frame but they had different rear swingarms ... is yours silver or is it painted black ... if its silver its AL if its black its CroMo (steel)
    He said it was a 95 and they were all aluminum rear ends by 1995.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.