mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Removing a Fox Shock on a Sensor / Force

I bought a new Magura MT2 rear brake to replace the Juicy 3. It looks like the easiest way to remove the old and replace the new is to take off the shock instead of disconnecting the brake line and sliding it under the shock. I do have to shorten the Magura line anyway, but I would rather not remove the avid line so I donít have to bleed it. Is removal of the shock as straightforward as it looks, just the 2 bolts, but any washers / bushings I need to be careful of and where they fit? Use loc-tite when re-attach the bolts ? Also has anyone successfully re-used the plastic ties that hold the brake line on the rear triangle or just cut these and use new zip ties?
    Is this correct, the frame shock bolts are 105in-lbs, p15 of the pdf ?

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...DjWjRKrWe2IGNQ

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    First of all, plastic ties are reusable. You can simply take them off and lock again on your new brake line.

As for shock, it's pretty easy to remove it. Just be sure you keep 4mm hex key still and screw/unscrew with a bigger 5mm hex key. I never used loc-tite and bolts never became loose.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Make sure you lower the air pressure on your shock before you disconnect it. Just to be safe. You don't want it to blow up on you with that much pressure in the system.
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    That's total nonsense. Shock can not extend larger than it is in uncompressed state. For Sensor/Force it is 7.5" length eye to eye

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    It's for safety bro. Read the owners manual online and you will see this is recommended. Have you ever had one blow up on you? Didn't think so. You don't want that to happen trust me. If the threads on the shock are messed up, they won't hold the pressure and blow up on you. But then again you do what you wanna do. I don't really care just giving you some advice.
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks for the replies, I will let out a little air just to be safe, couldn't hurt, I have a shock pump. I haven't attempted to remove the shock or install the new brake yet, I ordered a Magura Bleed kit online and waiting for that to arrive before I install. Will post a reply on how it goes when I do.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    gt jorgito, well, thanks for the warning. Never thought that shock may be already damaged