cbc
    Bullit Rider
    Apr 2006

Rebuilt my 2001 GT Avalanche 2.0

I had stripped this bike last year to build my Santa Cruz Bullit, but alas, I found myself not wanting to sell the frame. It's just so nice. I thought it would make a great race bike, since it's so stiff and has great acceleration. So, I spent some time this winter re-building my once great GT.

It has a 2001 Marzocchi Atom Race fork, Weinmann 519 rims, Shimano hollowtech cranks, Shimano 7-speed rear, Avid Single Digit 5 rim brakes, and Shimano combined shift/ brake levers. I threw on an inexpensive Bontrager saddle, and some cheap bars (for now) with some WTB grips. I just got my Panaracer FireXC Pro tires on it today. The bike is light enough- I'd say mid to upper 20 pounds (25 to 27 maybe). It's still fun to ride, for sure.

I may take it to the trail this weekend, but I'm not sure yet. I might ride my Santa Cruz still. I have to get some dirt time on this bike soon though; I'm entered in the Napa dirt classic race in April. My first ever XC race

Clay

mtbr member
    Looks cool!!
    I've got a black 2006 model, and just fitted a new Rock Shox Reba Sl dual air shock.
    Goes great, and the bike has taken some real punishment in the 1 1/2 years I have had it, nearly 3000ks all up, and the only thing to break were the crap pedals on day 2, and 1flat rear tyre.
    Some mates of mine have had their bikes break and parts fall to bits, but not the GT, it just keeps goin...and goin..

Give it the thrashing it deserves!!

cbc
    Bullit Rider
    Apr 2006
    Haha, funny you should mention. This last Sunday, something was up with the shifting... it turned out the chain broke, and was badly kinked! It's going to be getting a full on thrashing for sure. Of course, after fixing the chain, I gave it a good cleaning, degreased & lubed the chain, cleaned the rims, waxed the frame. Yeah, I love my GT

No good in rock gardens..
    That looks good.

I recently sold my 2005 Avalanceh 0.5. Loved that bike, but had to make room for my custom build one off...
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

cbc
    Bullit Rider
    Apr 2006
    Wow, what a tempermental bike. I took it in the dirt for the first time (it mostly saw pavement for the first month) and the BB ended up being tight (wow that sucks) and the 7-speed cassette is, uhh, less than perfect. Otherwise, the bike is awesome! Very fast, easy to get in the air

mtbr member
    How about this...took a couple of mates today to a recently discovered, rarely ridden super tight single track loop of approx 12ks, with some mean, loose, steep drops, tough weaving climbs and creek crossings. Lantana everywhere that scratches you to pieces. 2 of the bikes broke, nothing major, a derailer on one, spokes and brakes on the other. I crashed heavily off the track after losing traction on a steep decent littered with loose rocks and a mass of leaves hiding the ruts. Picked up the GT, wiped off some blood, off it went...the thing is indestructable!, or I am unbelievably lucky, one of the 2!!