mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Reasonably priced GT Full Susp XC bike

Does this even exist. I was looking that the website. The have a few really reasonably priced trail bikes but none in the XC category.

I'm considering the Sensor 9R expert. Could this be tuned to operate at 100mm if I find that 120mm is too much travel for the trails here in MI?

mtbr member
    IMO GT doesn't have an affordable & good FS XC in their line up. GT's tend to be heavy and lean more towards trail and AM riding.

With that said, I still love my Avalanche and use it for my daily bike to work and weekend warrior XC rides.

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    Quote Originally Posted by bryan.gurc View Post
    Does this even exist. I was looking that the website. The have a few really reasonably priced trail bikes but none in the XC category.

I'm considering the Sensor 9R expert. Could this be tuned to operate at 100mm if I find that 120mm is too much travel for the trails here in MI?
    I think the sensor could be set up pretty well as an XC bike. As far as the rear suspension, with the typical fox shock it's basically a 100mm bike anyway. It pedals incredibly well, so I don't see any issue there whatsoever.

On the other hand, the HTA is 69.5, and the BB is 13.0 inches with 2.1 tires. Neither of those figures would be considered ideal for XC. A 100mm fork would steepen the HTA and lower the BB slightly, but if you have to buy a fork, that puts a dent in the value proposition. Regarding weight, I believe my XL Elite was 33lbs bone stock. Sounds bad, but the shock is 5lbs, and the wheels are heavy. So with just a set of wheels you can lighten it up quite a bit.

Sounds like you definitely would need to ride one to see if it would work for you. That's what sold me. I came off a 26er XC bike, but loved the handling on the sensor. YMMV.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKL View Post
    I think the sensor could be set up pretty well as an XC bike. As far as the rear suspension, with the typical fox shock it's basically a 100mm bike anyway. It pedals incredibly well, so I don't see any issue there whatsoever.

On the other hand, the HTA is 69.5, and the BB is 13.0 inches with 2.1 tires. Neither of those figures would be considered ideal for XC. A 100mm fork would steepen the HTA and lower the BB slightly, but if you have to buy a fork, that puts a dent in the value proposition. Regarding weight, I believe my XL Elite was 33lbs bone stock. Sounds bad, but the shock is 5lbs, and the wheels are heavy. So with just a set of wheels you can lighten it up quite a bit.

Sounds like you definitely would need to ride one to see if it would work for you. That's what sold me. I came off a 26er XC bike, but loved the handling on the sensor. YMMV.
    I was more curious as to whether or not the shocks could be tuned to 100mm of travel instead of 120mm