mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Race my GT sensor, or buy a new HT?

I'm new to xc racing (never raced before). I raced cross country and track for 4 years in college, so I am in decent aerobic shape (ran 70-80 miles per week for 4 years). Last spring I had a knee injury which will prevent me from running, so I'd like to start racing xc bikes.

Right now I have a GT Sensor 3.0, which I'm extremely happy with. I've ridden Porcupine Rim, Amasa Back, Slickrock etc. and it has done great. (I live in Moab..)

What are your thoughts on racing this bike? It's a small so is probably about 30 lbs. I was considering spending about $600-800 for a basic hardtail to use as a trainer/racer.. Planning on riding every day in the winter here to get ready for spring racing. I was thinking about putting that money into my Sensor... but I use it pretty much as an all-mountain bike here. So I don't now if that is a good idea.

I'm used to running, where your equipment doesn't matter at all. Seems like having the right bike could make a big difference. Obviously you can race on anything, but I'm willing to spend a little money to set myself up a little, if necessary. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    It would be nice if you could sell the Sensor for as much as possible and pick up the 2012 Zaskar 100. Looks like the ideal racebike!! Seems like your someone in good shape so if going for the Zaskar isn't an option , then shredding some weight off the Sensor isn't a bad second choice!! Sensor seems like it can be a solid racebike!!!

CT3
    Hoodwink
    I've got my small sensor 2.0 down to a 26lbs 1500 for the bike and about 800+/- in upgrades. Significant weight loss in the wheels and tires (stans 335s + crests). Also 1x9 Probably should gotten a 1.0. Plan on racing it in a couple of weeks. I am not near in the shape u probably are. I say race it first then decide.

Specs in my profile. Idk if it's on there but changed out to easton havoc stem and haven bars, all with ks seatpost. Slx crank not sig weight loss but wanted 175mm crank. Xtr985 pedal

Plan on racing the first one for fun see the atmosphere. Then decide if I want to sell my hardtail 26 for a 9r. Never ride my avalanche.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I agree with CT3. try it first then decide. It looks like the sensor is a fine race ride if you upgrade some parts. Racing is a whole different monster than just riding around. I plan on racing the last 4 races of our championship and I'm definitely using my Marathon Team (24 lbs) and not my Force 2.0 (31 lbs). In just our local 4 mile loop I can drop close to 3 minutes when going from the Force to the Team so equipment does make a big difference. I as well am not in the best of cardio shape. Wheels and tires upgrade makes a huge difference. After that I would go with getting rid of useless weight like lighter seatpost, lighter handlebars, stem etc... etc... Dropping money for a whole new drivetrain is very expensive but definitely worth it if you have the cash.
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.