mtbr member

Purple Karakoram

I'm looking at buying a purple Karakoram 100% stock for $150.00 - Looks near mint - Is this a good deal? Thanks

PS I had a black one that I bought new in 1994 as my 1st MTB - I've regreted selling it ever since.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Being that they were alot more expensive than that in the day; being that you regretted getting rid of one earlier; being that you love them...yes it is a good deal. I just got an 'inferno '91' that I love!!! If you can justify it than go for it.

rob

mtbr member
    If all the hardware isn't rusted tight and you can still move the seat post up and down it's probably not a bad deal. If it's coming from a coastal area check the alloy components closely to make sure the salt air hasn't pitted them badly. Then you need to determine if it's been a "Garage Queen" the past ten years or well ridden. If well ridden keep in mind you may be putting on a new chain, cassette and maybe even chainrings soon and that could chew up another 100-150 fast. Check the cables too to makes sure everything is still shifting and braking well. Cables are a minor expense but it all adds up. If it's clean and a queen grab it. If it's been ridden hard make sure you ride it. If you see things that need replacing negotiate on the price. If you buy it you may want to pull the bottom bracket right away and make sure it isn't seized or rusted in the frame too. Give the BB some fresh grease too.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Post pics when you get it! I bought a purple Kara frame that's gonna need repainting so if you can post some detailed pics of the color it would help me a whole bunch. If it was me I'd get it just for the nostalgia the bike has.