Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I've just measured my Sensor M, it have 74cm height from ground to the point where top tube bends. Specs says it should be 75.2cm. So I assume standover is being measured at the point a bit closer to handlebar.

Davidenko, I'd pick an S frame. I'm also fan of long frame combined with short stem. Standover height isn't a big deal after all.

My Sensor in current setup:

David
    Feb 2009
    Usefull, thank you. Greetings to Ukraine from Slovenia :-)

Can anyone with S frame measure, what is the almost horizontal part of top tube height? And where does standover 72cm (28,4) apply?

am shocked reading bad critics on harsh rear suspension on sensors. British and German magazines say, that I-drive is amazing on climbs, but disapoints on descents, performing in harsh, unconfortable ride. That sucks speed and livelyness out of bike.
    Those who tested, or owned other types of suspension (maestro, fsr, kona's, C-dales...) - what do you think?

I know test riding would answer all my questions, but here in Slovenia I can't get a demoed GT.
    Thank you all.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I must say British and German magazines may be right. Suspension is really great uphill but a bit overcomressed for downhills.
    But keep in mind - their articles are only about stock setups. They do not test the rear suspension - they test whole bike with rear shock and fork equipped

I've had a chance to test a bit Giant Reign and GT Force. I must say they both were much softer than my Sensor. But you know why? It's rear shock. I suppose my stock X-Fusion tuned with ProPedal that can not be turned off. That's why it is so good uphill and harsh for descends.
    If I had a chance to install Rock Shox Monarch or Fox RP23, I think it would change the whole picture

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Can someone help, where can I find a Sensor frame to buy? Do GT sell them? or the just complete bike?

thanks

mtbr member
    Started looking into a new bike. I test rode a 29er Sensor today. I really liked it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    My New GT Sensor here!

Coz I'm a 5'4" short guy, I could only buy the smallest frame in the market!
    And only few of them can fully fit my size. Sensor XS size is one of them!
    (I love the smaller frame which is easier to control during trail)

I think the X fusion stock rear suspension is quite weak...
    But I'm not sure if changing it could unleash the true power of this frame or not.
    I'm quite interested on the RS Monarch Plus, but seems it can't be installed on the XS frame.

Name:  603032_10151259480758299_1724739280_n.jpg
Views: 860
Size:  48.7 KB

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I am 5'4" also and I also ride a XS Sensor.Best fit I have found so far for me

Rogue Exterminator
    Jumped on the Giant Nerd price of $1035 when they had it.
    What a screaming deal on a great bike.
    Upgraded pedals so far.

Post your Sensor pics here!-2013-02-19_17-06-03_39.jpg
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Post your Sensor pics here!

Post your Sensor pics here!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1362072315.287618.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

2012 sensor4.0 upgradedPost your Sensor pics here!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1362072621.805431.jpgPost your Sensor pics here!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1362072644.073264.jpgPost your Sensor pics here!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1362072693.303644.jpg. Waiting on a rear float R from push.

mtbr member

2013 GT Sensor Elite

Post your Sensor pics here!-20130329_173037.jpg

Just built this up as a second bike by stripping down a Diamond Back Overdrive (and buying the RockShox Recon fork). I've gotten a few rides on it and really like it. The components aren't the best, but it gets the job done! Ergonomics are great. I need to shed some weight though. I'm thinking new rims. My main ride is a Salsa Spearfish and I love the Stans NoTubes, but not sure I want to drop that much coin on a wheelset again. Any suggestions?

I'm weighing in at about 33.5lbs on this so far. Not that I'm a weight weenie, just looking to increase the speed through better wheels and a little less weight!

mtbr member
    Unfortunately, there's no magic bullet for weight loss. Wheels are probably your best bet. I can't tell what kind of handlebar you have, but if it's not carbon, you can find carbon bars on sale for well less than $100 sometimes. That's usually good for a quarter-pound weight loss. If the seatpost weighs more than 400g, you can knock off 2 tenths of a pound with this Kalloy seatpost for $15 on sale at BlueSky. It's 320 grams in the 31.6 diameter, and that's a full 400mm length. If you cut it down, you could save a few more grams. Also, that saddle looks pretty heavy. I just bought some 240 gram Origin8 saddles off eBay for $30 each. That might be a quarter-pound right there.

Looks like you're running medium-weight tires - Small Block 8's are around 740g if PricePoint is to be believed. Schwalbe Racing Ralphs in either Performance or Evo Snakeskin version would save you about 100g per wheel. I'd call 100 grams rotating weight a good investment, if Racing Ralphs would work for your kind of riding.

I think that's all the low-hanging fruit you could expect to find for not a lot of money.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    For weight down, changing the fork, crankset, tires, and wheelset could save a lot.
    A Rockshox Sid/reba could save 200-300g when compare to recon, the suspension is also upgraded.
    A XT/SLX crankset (2x10sp) could also save you 100g more comparing to the suntour xct; meanwhile the crankset is also more stiftness, BB is smoother, which provide more efficient pedaling to gain speed.
    A pair of race king 2.0-2.2 supersonic tires could also save you 100 more gram. Just beware the puncture of that thin layer.
    Wheelset would be expensive if changing one. But it might affect the speed a lot and reducing weight for the whole bike. Fulcrum red power3 might be a good choice.

Others like, stem, handlebar, seatpost, saddle, paddle, etc, I think the c/p is not so worth for reducing the weight. You have to pay a lot for just few grams lighter, but not gaining any better performance.

My sensor has now changed the rear suspension to Fox rp23, and the weight is 29lbs with the RS reverb seatpost, which I think nearly push to limit on the balance between weight, function, and Stiftness.

mtbr member
    Great responses, thanks! I've got another seat I'm going to throw on after your the inspiration here. Then I think it's on to a rear rim first. I don't mind upgrading slowly since it's a second bike. I road my Salsa and the Sensor back to back and could really tell the difference in weight/speed/climbing. The components make a huge difference! Since this is a backup, fun bike and my Spearfish is my racer, I think I'm just going to have fun and upgrade the Sensor a little at a time. I like the long travel on the Sensor.

I'm going to swap the seat for another one I've got, and then a back rim. I'll also keep an eye out for breaks, huge difference coming from hydraulics back to cable. I was thinking about trying a 650b on the rear to see what it does, if I can get a deal on one. Does anybody know of someone, or has anyone tried it themselves on a Sensor? I've read that the biggest issue is the BB clearance.
    2012 Salsa Spearfish & 2013 GT Sensor 9r

Rogue Exterminator
    IMO, the only places worth dropping weight off is you rotational mass (the stuff that turns but mostly wheels) then maybe your front end (fork to bars). After that it is all gravy unless you are a weight weenie and are just trying to achieve a super light bike for bragging rights. In that case, the sensor as much as I love mine is just not the right bike for the job.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Agreed. I'm mostly just trying to get to 30lbs or so, nothing crazy. The real focus is getting and keeping momentum, the rims on this are boat anchors, but they are what I had laying around.
    2012 Salsa Spearfish & 2013 GT Sensor 9r

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    My old greenie in the wild @1600ft.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Sensor pics here!-sensation.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    my sensor 9r  photo 68330_4243900388457_1612733649_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Hi there, great thread!

Here is my Sensor 4.0 L, upgraded with the time (now 1x9 and quite lighter):

- Reba xx fork 120mm / 20mm;
    - Crank Brothers Sage Bars 780mm (will cut them to 720/740mm? not sure yet, need encouragement here ;
    - FSA Gravity stem;
    - Oury ODI grips (a favorite on all my bikes);
    - SLX M665 brakes (better than the original tektro but curiously not as good as the Deore M596 on my singlespeed);
    - Sun Rigle wheels with 20mm axle front and SLX cassette rear (noisy and bombproof wheels, tank style);
    - Hans Dampf and Racing Ralph Schwalbe tires (Hans Dampf is really good in the mud);
    - Deore crankset with external BB (changed after the initial FSA square taper BB died naturally, this was the first upgrade which triggered the rest);
    - Blackspire downhill chainring 32t (3 chainrings were far too much for a singlespeederů);
    - Avid XO chain guide (not cheap but works great);
    - Fox float R ProPedal rear shock (not sure this is much better than the original X fusion shock);
    - Kind Shock Dropzone Remote seat post (best investment with the fork so far!).

Post your Sensor pics here!-leslogesenjosas2_001.jpg

Post your Sensor pics here!-leslogesenjosas4_001.jpg

Post your Sensor pics here!-leslogesenjosas3_001.jpg
    FG | SS | FS | CX

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Good job!

Welcome to the Sensor owners team!
    Obviously you have come a looong way upgrading your Sensor 4. It's a very-very nice bike. I really like the Reba XX fork.
    Do you have any idea how much it weighs now;
    Greetings to France from Greece!

mtbr member
    Great thanks mipi for this warm welcome from Greece, I adore your country and islands!

Yip, I got the upgrade bug, chasing good deals on the net like this great Reba XX fork (RCZ). And it's always good to learn and enjoy some mechanics. Original pieces of the very affordable Sensor 4.0 are not so bad except for the square taper bottom bracket (cheap replacement anyway): the brakes as well as the Suntour fork were fine (they found a new home/rig BTW), they were just terribly heavy.

I may have reduced the weight of this rig from 16 to 13kgs but I will check this with a precision balance (the KS drop seat post and the wheels are not super light) and get back to you and this great Sensor thread.

Enjoy the day!
    FG | SS | FS | CX

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thank you very much!

Your Sensor indeed must weigh somewhere a little less than 13 kgs, considering mine that doesn't have an adjustable seatpost and has the light ZTR Crest wheelset is 12.2 kgs. Otherwise both share now comparable light parts.
    Love the white Sensors!

Keep pedaling!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    What can i do on trails with this bike? I'm concerned about jumps. On how high jump can i go?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

I've had mine off 8-10ft drops no probs,so long as your doing it right you should be good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Anyone tried the angular headset for sensor?? The headtube angle (69.5 degree) is not slack enough while comparing with nowadays trail bike (68 degree).

Besides, anyone also tried to increase the fork suspension to 140mm? Is there any harm to the frame?

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast