Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Theres some really nice Sensors in here! Keep the pictures coming, definitely using this thread for inspiration.

Heres my 4.0 I got earlier this year. Havent done anything too crazy with it yet. Just added some Kenda Nevegals, Forte Platforms, Locking Grips, and made a ghetto 1x9 using a BBG Guard and a jump stop.

Eventually will change the fork out for a 140mm Talas or Float, along with the rear shock. While im changing the rear derailleur to a short cage, possibly switch everything over to a 10 speed.

mtbr member
    FG | SS | FS | CX

mtbr member
    Quick question for you guys running mrp chain guides. What size BB do we have on the Sensors? I have to change out my cartridge type to a external BB but theres so many damn sizes out there!

Any BB recommendations? What have you run? What brands do you prefer? Anything I should be looking at specifically?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'm not sure I understand your question but I'll take a stab. Hollowtech type outboard bearing BBs are road or mountain one size fits all and use supplied shims for correct offset. My 73mm 9r uses one 2.5mm spacer on the drive side with 770 cranks.
    Having worn out lesser Shimano BBs too quickly I use XT BB-70 or XTR BB-90

mtbr member
    I think your post and this link cleared it up for me.

So as long as I get a bottom bracket that will fit a 68/73mm shell, it should fit as long as I run the appropriate sized spacers.

Then depending on what crankset I choose to go with will determine the bracket interface.

Correct?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Hi everyone looking for some advice. I really like the sensors and have an opportunity to get a 2012 Sensor 1.0 for a great deal Question is about the sizing. I am 5'10" and currently ride a large Santa Cruz Heckler with a short stem. The Sensor I am looking at is a size large. I have normal sized arms and legs, pretty much average at 5'10" 175 lbs. Will the large fit me or do I need a medium? I know I am right on the border of a M or L, just wondering if anyone has experience with a similar sizing issue? Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Effective top tube length of the large Sensor and the large Heckler are about the same. I'm a little taller (5'11") and I ride a large. It fits OK, but I sometimes wonder if I should really be on a medium. I tend to like smaller bikes when I'm in between sizes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Post your Sensor pics here!

I have a 2012 in an extra large with an 80mm stem and it fits great! I'm 5'11", mine is the 4.0 but shares the same frame so should fit the same, when I was shopping for mine I looked up sizing charts and if I remember correctly the only diff. Between large and extra large was stand over height by .5 in I think every thing else was the same I would think a medium would be a bit small and would force you to have a longer stem but not sure about the seat post height. Not sure if any of this helps, but I do have to say I few akin love my sensor, climbed like a beast,stiff as all hell laterally and really comes to life on fast and flowy trails

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks for the quick replies! Going to check out the large sensor tomorrow, I'll report back. I have a short 50mm stem laying around so I'll bring it with me. Hope it works out, looks like a great bike for a very good deal. Would love to hear if anyone else has this issue

CB of the East
    I am 6'0" w/34" inseam and ride the XL 1.0 with the seat up pretty high and all the spacers in the stem. I tend to like large bikes. It seems like you should fit on a large.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks bedwards100. Nice blog!

CB of the East
    Thanks, if you dig back far enough you'll see some posts about the Sensor. I have both a 1.0 and a 9er expert. Since I wrote this I've used the 9er more and am pretty happy with that too.
    The Candid Cyclist: How Many Bikes Is Enough Bikes (also filled that last hole in the collection, time for a blog update)

There are some other sensor ride reports and pics too if you poke around. My 1.0 is a 2010. I just had to go through it and replace the drivetrain, a caliper and service the shocks. I've been riding the 9er exclusively most of the summer but I'm itching to get back on it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Going to check out the 2012 sensor 1.0 today. Oddly enough it seems to have pretty similar geometry to my 2010 Heckler. The heckler is a little too burly for my use as a trail bike 90% of the time, I am looking for something a little lighter and quicker with efficient suspension for climbs. If I ever go to whistler or any other bikepark I'll just rent a DH rig, I've used the heckler for both and it isn't great at either, although I do like it. Thanks again for the input everyone, are you finding your sensors good for all around trail riding, no crazy jumps or drops? I ride in the Seattle area, so wet roots etc are common.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I knew it was a bad idea having a look at the builds you guys have done in this thread... Some really nice rides. I'm getting very jealous!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

New nevegals, slx cranks,havoc stem, race face riser bars and slx rear derailleur,

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

How is everybody liking the xfusion shock? Mine had got a squeak at one point and after trying to find some one to service with new seals, turned out xfusion is the only place you can send it to and have done. So I took a chance,opened it up myself cleaned the seals,(not replaced) greased up spots where I saw factory grease with the Phil grease( pic) and then put a few squirts of FL wet lube(pic) been going on 4 months and not a peep!!! It has been awesome, interested to hear what everybody is doing bout their xfusion shock service

mtbr member
    Havent gotten to the point yet to service my rear shock, when i do ill definitely do what you did. Beats having to send out a shock to get it serviced.

Got some new parts in for the sensor, just finished putting everything on. Cant wait for the weekend to try out the new setup.

Easton Haven Handlebar
    Truvativ Hussefelt Stem
    RaceFace single ring, with chester cranks
    MRP Mini G3
    Mavic Crosstrail Wheels
    Also got a 180 rotor for the back to match the front

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    How much many cost gt sensor's frame (2011), with x-fusion shock (stock)?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I've had my sensor 9r for just over a year now, have done a couple of mods that have made this a really versatile bike.

Easton Haven wheelset + tubeless, maxxis ardent/nobby nic,
    XT brakes bigger rotors 203/180mm,
    XT shadow plus derailler, 1x10 with widget, snafu anorexia flat pedals,
    KS adj seatpost, selle italia seat, crank bros iodine bars and stem, ODI lock on grips.

Thats about it for now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Sensor pics here!-20131026_152202.jpg  

Post your Sensor pics here!-20131026_152212.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I just added a 34 Talas to my 9r and it's like a new bike, it's brought a new precision to the handling I never imagined.
    Nothing left of the 2010.5 but the seat post, all the other mods were an appreciable improvement but this has brought them all together in a most dramatic fashion. The bottom cup to fit the fork is custom and not for the faint hearted.
    Last edited by gumby.; 01-10-2015 at 12:42 AM.

mtbr member

Re: Post your Sensor pics here!

Quote Originally Posted by gumby. View Post
    I just added a 34 Talas to my 9r and it's like a new bike, it's brought a new precision to the handling I never imagined.
    Nothing left of the 2010.5 but the seat post, all the other mods were an appreciable improvement but this has brought them all together in a most dramatic fashion. The bottom cup to fit the fork is custom and not for the faint hearted.
    Do I understand that you've got a tapered fork installed on a Sensor 9r? If so, please describe what you had to do in order to make that work? Thanks

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Post your Sensor pics here!-dsc00459.jpg

Here is mine as a 1 x 10. After 2 years of riding that X-Fusion has to go soon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_bloe View Post
    Do I understand that you've got a tapered fork installed on a Sensor 9r? If so, please describe what you had to do in order to make that work? Thanks
    Hi Joe, you understand correctly. It's basically a custom cup that sleeves over the outside of the tube and seats on it raising the fork 20mm to give 1mm clearance.
    The sleeve is notched to clear the bottom tube and an interference fit which may have been adequate but it was also very carefully partially welded with minimal heat.
    Welding heat treated aluminium is very risky and although I have advanced aluminium welding tickets I entrusted it to someone with far more skill and nous.
    I was lucky enough to be able to draw on a rare collection of knowledge few would have access to and I wouldn't recommend welding without it and time will tell how smart/dumb the decision to weld it was.

mtbr member

2013 Sensor

Great thread here! I'm adding a pic of my 13 Sensor 9r to the pile. I use it for trail ridingPost your Sensor pics here!-20140113_170252.jpg and soon to be bike packing adventure. It's a 1X9 with Stans Flow tubeless, carbon bars and mechanical brakes (cheap on the front and a bb5 on the back). It rides great in all conditions, including snow
    2012 Salsa Spearfish & 2013 GT Sensor 9r

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Updated

Updated to a 2014 Fox CTD rear shock, 34T Race Face NW chain ring, Race Face Evolve seat post, Race Face Ride 70mm stem, 1/2 Nelson grips. Using my "wet" tires due to rain and heavy debris on the trails.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Sensor pics here!-1897954_10203077066108572_588856390_n.jpg  

lost
    Jun 2010
    Sensor 1.0
    Post your Sensor pics here!-img_1313_zpsad486113.jpg

kitty approved
    Post your Sensor pics here!-img_1347_zpsc87df5a2.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Sensor pics here!-img_1313.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
    Hi everyone looking for some advice. I really like the sensors and have an opportunity to get a 2012 Sensor 1.0 for a great deal Question is about the sizing. I am 5'10" and currently ride a large Santa Cruz Heckler with a short stem. The Sensor I am looking at is a size large. I have normal sized arms and legs, pretty much average at 5'10" 175 lbs. Will the large fit me or do I need a medium? I know I am right on the border of a M or L, just wondering if anyone has experience with a similar sizing issue? Thanks in advance.
    I'm 5'11" or so, 165lbs, and went from a size L hardtail access to a size M sensor, and am very happy with it. The size M seems more nimble than the L and I do not feel like the bike is too small at all. the standover height of then M sensor is almost identical to the standover of the L Access.

the bike shop was telling me that for full suspension the M size is roughly appropriate for riders of L hardtails (for whatever that's worth). They had a L sensor in stock too, so they weren't just trying to sell me something.

I'd think an L Sensor is pretty big for a 5'10 guy. Not sure if that helps.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    [QUOTE=rockNnachos;11030188]Sensor 1.0
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1313_zpsad486113.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	872898

What a great picture!

lost
    Jun 2010
    Thank you!

Added a shorter stem and wider bars. I'm thinking new wheels! Anyone put 650b wheels and tires on one of these?

Post your Sensor pics here!-img_1840_zpsd65c2f60.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rockNnachos View Post
    Thank you!

Added a shorter stem and wider bars. I'm thinking new wheels! Anyone put 650b wheels and tires on one of these?

Name:	IMG_1840_zpsd65c2f60.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	878152

what length stem did you add?

lost
    Jun 2010
    This is a 90mm stem. The original was at least a 110, maybe a 120? It was very long. I gave it to a friend so I cannot measure it.

mtbr member

Here's my sensor

Post your Sensor pics here!-img_20140326_083606%5B1%5D.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Nice, looks like you've made a few changes to the standard spec. Care to share your mods?

mtbr member
    Post your Sensor pics here!-img_20140326_083606.jpg

Picked it up used. Long story. The guy switched out the drivetrain to XX1 but he kept the dropper post I still dont know why GT at the original pricepoint they spec it with a 32 non kash ? Even the rear shock is non-kash, it dosent feel too bad but really ? I just ordered a pike with a reducer to 140 so we'll see how that turns out. I might order a RT3 monarch for the rear, i've heard good things about it. Pretty much else is stock but i did after the pic swap out the stem for a thomson 70 instead of the 100 he had on.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Post your Sensor pics here!-dsc_1164snsrangl2-ii.jpgSWEET RIDE ! Love GTs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cmeride View Post

Name:	IMG_20140326_083606.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	162.6 KB 
ID:	880161

Picked it up used. Long story. The guy switched out the drivetrain to XX1 but he kept the dropper post I still dont know why GT at the original pricepoint they spec it with a 32 non kash ? Even the rear shock is non-kash, it dosent feel too bad but really ? I just ordered a pike with a reducer to 140 so we'll see how that turns out. I might order a RT3 monarch for the rear, i've heard good things about it. Pretty much else is stock but i did after the pic swap out the stem for a thomson 70 instead of the 100 he had on.
    Do you have a weight?

mtbr member
    no i dont, but if i had to guess about 26 lbs..Pike will add 1/2 lb dropper another 1/2 lb so when all said and done 27 lbs seems good. Can switch out the conti's for some schwalbes and save some weight there too. That X-King in the front isn't the best. Good rolling tire but not enough bite, kinda squirly. Hans Dampf 2.35 should do it. There rear i can use until its done then switch maybe to a Nobby nic or Ardent 2.25 for summer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Here's my 2014 Sensor Carbon Pro;

Post your Sensor pics here!-photo-1.jpg
    Post your Sensor pics here!-photo-2.jpg
    Post your Sensor pics here!-photo-4.jpg

Mods from standard;
    Raceface 32T Narrow/wide chainring
    Bontrager Carbon Saddle
    XT Brakes with 180mm Icetech rotors front and rear
    Maxxis Ardent tyres (tubeless)

Waiting on i-spec adapter to arrive so I can mount the shifter on the brake lever mount.

CB of the East
    Nice! I wouldn't mind one of those. Any feedback on how the new i-drive compares to the old i-drive?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    That tape/tube on the rear triangle is painful. Trust that clutch rear D to do it's job. Beautiful bike
    Last edited by googas7070; 04-23-2014 at 11:01 AM.

mtbr member
    I agree with the above! Some clear heli tape would do for heel rub as well...Other than that, nice bike!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

26'' 10 speed work in progress

Post your Sensor pics here!-dsc00740.jpgPost your Sensor pics here!-dsc00736.jpgPost your Sensor pics here!-dsc00737.jpgPost your Sensor pics here!-dsc00738.jpgPost your Sensor pics here!-dsc00739.jpgPost your Sensor pics here!-dsc00735.jpg

Race Face Chester crankset w/ 34T narrow wide ring.
    Race Face Evolve seatpost, 725 bars, 90mm stem.
    WTB Silverado seat.
    2014 Fox CTD rear shock.
    SLX 10 speed shifter, SLX rear D with clutch, SLX 11-34 cassette, SLX brake levers and rotors.
    XT/Rhyno lite wheelset.
    Maxxis Aspen 2.1/2.25.
    ***2015 Fox Evo CTD 120mm fork will be next***
    Last edited by googas7070; 06-08-2014 at 08:49 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Nice! I wouldn't mind one of those. Any feedback on how the new i-drive compares to the old i-drive?
    My previous bike was a 2011 Sensor 1.0 and they are worlds apart. The new bike is much stiffer, feels like it has more than 130mm of travel. I feel much more confident in the new bike than I ever did on the old one.

Quote Originally Posted by googas7070 View Post
    That tape/tube on the rear triangle is painful. Trust that clutch rear D to do it's job. Beautiful bike
    I would trust the clutch however a LBS had one as a demo and the frame was so badly chipped from the chain (on both the chain and seat stays) they ended up having to replace the frame before they could sell it. It is actually proper frame wrap, but I did a pretty bad job of applying it and I agree it doesn't look the best. I just wanted to get something on there quickly so I could go ride! I've started looking into clear films now so I'll post some new pics once I've got some.

mtbr member
    Agree the protection is necessary the chain gets very close to the frame. I use thick 3M tape.

Post your Sensor pics here!-10307187_10152365113841223_5496629676711247070_n.jpg

mtbr member
    I used 3M #2228 Rubber Mastic tape in all areas especially the down tube for rock protection since there's no plate available for her.

mtbr member
    Yes, that is what I am using too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

mtbr member
    Out on its first real ride

Kore OCD bars cut to 780mm
    Answer 60mm stem, dropped down two spacers
    Forks set to 150mm
    Set up tubeless

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    What size is that Pablo?

mtbr member
    Its a large. Should have mentioned earlier.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast