Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Post your GT here!!!

1M views 2K replies 940 participants last post by  Pawtail 
#1 ·
Thanks MTBR for setting up the GT thread!

What would a GT forum be without photos? Post your GT pictures here!

I'll start with mine:

1999 GT STS-1000-DS
98' Jr. T.
2000 Magura Gustav Ms
XT/XTR mix

Attachments

See less See more
#2,081 ·
GT three point zero project

Hi all,

Currently busy with my GT three point zero project.

Setup today is as following:

Mechanical disc brakes
Deore shifter group
Rock shox argyle fork with 20 mm axle
Mavic wheels, hand spoked with black spokes and red nipples

Attachments

#2,083 ·
First post. :)

Many years ago, I bought my first GT: a beautiful 94 Talera in "Purple Rain". This was stolen, and so I bought a Timberline next, put on a Mag 21 (long travel kit), a bunch of Onza parts and Shimano LX/XT parts.
The frame got replaced by a 96 Psyclone in team colours. This got stolen as well.
Next up, I got a 98 Avalanche and upgraded that with XTR/XT and Syncros parts.
This also got stolen (partially).

Now, at that time, GT had pretty much left the German market and it became difficult to get my hands on a new model. I ended up getting a German brand (Nöll) and used the parts that were left from the Avalanche and added some Tune, Hügi, and Syntace components.

Now, 15 years later, I am back in the GT fold, even convinced my girlfriend to get one (2014 GT Avalanche Comp GTW).

Anyway, this is my 2015 Avalanche Comp, with a few parts form my old bike as well as a few new components. This is work in progress.

Attachments

#2,087 ·
what's up people!!! I'm back in the GT family....after my Force Carbon Sport was stolen July '14 from my garage, I've built my dream bike!

Been having a heck of a time trying to figure out the routing situation, but can't wait to get this baby rolling!

Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel

#2,089 ·
Easiest weight loss is in the tires/tubes. Next, XT cassette, carbon bars and grips. I've had my Large down to 26 lbs at one point with Avid AD7s. and GT/Hadley non-disc hubs with DB spokes and aluminum nipples.

Now I'm back up to around 27.5 or so with disc brakes and American Classic hubs.

A faster rolling tire could make it feel much lighter, too.

AJ

#2,102 · (Edited)
Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim

2001 Avalanche 1.0; The last of the good ones made in California, 7000 series Aluminum, XT/Deore, Avid BB&'s with 165mm rotors and GT Hubs with Syncros Big Box rims - GREAT WHEELS!!

Can you believe I found a dozen of these bikes stuffed away in a warehouse? They had been Jacksonville Fla Fire and Rescue bikes, barely ridden and retired years ago. I bought them all.

This one has been my main ride from day one. With an upgrade to sticky 2.25 tires and a WTB Pure V saddle it's all I need.

#2,107 ·
GT Karakoram Commuter

I just converted this late 90s GT Karakoram into a commuter bike. It had been setup as a 1x9, but it didn't get much love since I usually ride my Bandersnatch.

Anyhow, the bike has a new 3x9 drivetrain thanks to my parts bin and the local REI. The Marzocchi suspension fork was replaced by the original rigid fork and a well-used Chris King headset. Planet Bike forks make it better for the commute with a recycled Jandd rack finishing off the rear. It's great fun to ride. I put 50 miles on it in the last week.

Here are some pix of the bike as it stands today:

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Tire Bicycle fork

Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part Bicycle frame Spoke

#2,108 ·
In my opinion, that's a very smart setup for a bike like this. I imagine it makes a real nice commuter.

I have been contemplating going this direction with my old 90s tequesta. I just don't find that I ever use it setup for the trails. It's simply too far down in the pecking order. But if it was setup like yours, I think I would probably use it more.