Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Post your GT here!!!

1M views 2K replies 940 participants last post by  Pawtail 
#1 ·
Thanks MTBR for setting up the GT thread!

What would a GT forum be without photos? Post your GT pictures here!

I'll start with mine:

1999 GT STS-1000-DS
98' Jr. T.
2000 Magura Gustav Ms
XT/XTR mix

Attachments

See less See more
#221 ·
gm1230126 said:
Crudley.......Bravo! Your stripped 99 Xizang turned out great! What did you use to strip it?
Hi gm1230126,

Thanks. I used a bottle of take-no-prisoners chemical stripper from the local hardware emporium. I don't have the name though but could find it if you are really keen.

It didn't affect the Ti and I did test it on dropouts before going nuts with it.
I used a fine grade Scotchbrite pad to buff it up when done. I was kind of worried when I took this shot though :eek:

Yard Backyard

I still prefer the 99 sticker kit.

#225 ·
Mr Crudley said:
Hi gm1230126,

Thanks. I used a bottle of take-no-prisoners chemical stripper from the local hardware emporium. I don't have the name though but could find it if you are really keen.

It didn't affect the Ti and I did test it on dropouts before going nuts with it.
I used a fine grade Scotchbrite pad to buff it up when done. I was kind of worried when I took this shot though :eek:

View attachment 191966
I still prefer the 99 sticker kit.
Crudly, Did you try the guy on ebay. I know he had the red, white and blue Zaskar decals from 99. He may have some Xizang's too. PM me and I can give you Paul's email and you can check with him.

#227 ·
Here's my offering from over in rainy UK :)

It's a 95 frame brought into the modern world, crossride wheels, xt bottom bracket, white industries crank, tora 302's, xt front mech, xtr rear mech, arch rival on the back, SD7 levers, Sram attack trigger shifters....blah blah....

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim

#231 ·
aphex2k said:
How many is that altogether? And is it some kind of fetish?
Of course it is a fetish! ;) There are about 18 GTs in my collection:
Hardtails:
1 Zaskar 1992 ballburnished
1 Zaskar LE 1993 ballburnished
1 Avalanche LE 1996 ballburnished
1 Zaskar 1997 ballburnished
1 Zaskar 1998 frost red
2 Zaskar Le ballburnished
1 Zaskar Race 2001 blue-yellow
1 Zaskar Team 2004 blue
1 Vengeance Triathlon

Fullys:
1 RTS-2 1994 gunmetal
1 LTS DH 1996 ballburnished
1 STS-1 1997 carbon
1 STS 1000DS 1998 carbon
2 XCR 1000 1999 ballburnished and team
1 Lobo DH 1999 team
1 STS 2000 XCR 1999 carbon

2 front frames: Lobo DH and Lobo STS

Attachments

#235 ·
Lobo said:
Of course it is a fetish! ;) There are about 18 GTs in my collection:
Hardtails:
1 Zaskar 1992 ballburnished
1 Zaskar LE 1993 ballburnished
1 Avalanche LE 1996 ballburnished
1 Zaskar 1997 ballburnished
1 Zaskar 1998 frost red
2 Zaskar Le ballburnished
1 Zaskar Race 2001 blue-yellow
1 Zaskar Team 2004 blue
1 Vengeance Triathlon

Fullys:
1 RTS-2 1994 gunmetal
1 LTS DH 1996 ballburnished
1 STS-1 1997 carbon
1 STS 1000DS 1998 carbon
2 XCR 1000 1999 ballburnished and team
1 Lobo DH 1999 team
1 STS 2000 XCR 1999 carbon

2 front frames: Lobo DH and Lobo STS
No Ti's? Get with it bro! Just kidding. Great collection!

#238 ·
zaskar

here's my 1997ish zaskar. this summer i rescued it off of ebay for $66. i built it up just the way i wanted to. i was amazed at how easily it built up to sub 24lb range. this is the second zaskar i've ever owned, and i don't plan on hawking this one like i did the last one.:)

Attachments

#239 · (Edited)
nrdbomber said:
here's my 1997ish zaskar. this summer i rescued it off of ebay for $66. i built it up just the way i wanted to. i was amazed at how easily it built up to sub 24lb range. this is the second zaskar i've ever owned, and i don't plan on hawking this one like i did the last one.:)
You like many eBayer's got took. Your $66 dollar bargain is only a Zaskar by decals. That frame is either an Avalanche, or Pantera. USA built GT Zaskars had a Flat cap at the back end of the top tube not curved like the one in your pictures. Zaskars also had the serial number and frame size stamped in the left rear drop out. 6061 was also stamped on the inside of both dropouts. Sorry to break the bad news to you bro. Many others on this forum can confirm these details. Your serial number is probably on the bottom of the bottom bracket shell and starts with a letter or two followed by numbers. The attached pics are of a true Zaskar. Note all the details I listed above in these pictures. Flat top tube cap, 6061, and serial number and frame size stampings in the dropouts. Real American made Zaskars don't very often go as low as $66 dollars on Ebay umless they've been hammered and show it.

Attachments

#240 · (Edited)
ride

gm1230126 said:
You like many eBayer's got took. Your $66 dollar bargain is only a Zaskar by decals. That frame is either an Avalanche, or Pantera.
thanks for the info gm1230126. i'd like to re-decal it. after doing more research, i may try to match things up and decal it correctly...so far it looks to be an avalance? i understand it could possibly be a pantera, or maybe even a backwoods, if they had a polished option.

i still don't believe that i got took on ebay. whatever model 90's gt it may be, i got a great bike, at a great price! i don't care if a taiwanese kid welded this possible 7000 series aluminum thing...the beads look excellent!

anyway, i found an old photo that my good friend and riding pal took in 1994. that's me sporting the jean shorts, gt karakoram, and a "concept" (amp) fork. ah yes, the good ol' days.

Attachments

#241 ·
Heres my 2003 (IIRC) GT Avalanche 3.0 in its current form.

Everything besides the frame and fork is beaten to hell. I rode this bike into the ground and loved every minute of it. It was a solid preformer and the geometry is perfect.

Do any of you think that it would be worth it for me to do a complete rebuild of the bike and make it an XC bike? If I were to make it into an XC bike I would want to run disc brakes with it. Am I right in thinking that I can mount discs on this bike?

#242 ·
gm1230126 said:
You like many eBayer's got took. Your $66 dollar bargain is only a Zaskar by decals. That frame is either an Avalanche, or Pantera. USA built GT Zaskars had a Flat cap at the back end of the top tube not curved like the one in your pictures. Zaskars also had the serial number and frame size stamped in the left rear drop out. 6061 was also stamped on the inside of both dropouts. Sorry to break the bad news to you bro. Many others on this forum can confirm these details. Your serial number is probably on the bottom of the bottom bracket shell and starts with a letter or two followed by numbers. The attached pics are of a true Zaskar. Note all the details I listed above in these pictures. Flat top tube cap, 6061, and serial number and frame size stampings in the dropouts. Real American made Zaskars don't very often go as low as $66 dollars on Ebay umless they've been hammered and show it.
i have a question about my frame, if you can help. it is a 2001 zaskar X, flat top tube with GT stamp, Easton 6061 stamp on top of top tube, but serial number KU9L0132 on bottom of bottom bracket. i know it is a zaskar x due to decals and flat black powdercoat paint job. this was made in america, yes?

#243 ·
I wish I knew more about this frame, but, unfortunately, I am a roadie that used this frame to start cycling. I upgraded it more than I should have before I bought a road bike in 2005. Mine now is complete Deore 9 speed, from 7 speed Acera, I have Truvativ Team Stylo Cranks. Recenty, I converted it to mechanical Deore disc brakes and upgraded the fork to a close out Manitou Axel Super and put Mavic/Deore Hub disc wheels on the bike It has Easton EA50 Stem, Handle Bar and Seatpost. The only thing OEM on the bike is the Seat Post Collar. For what I spent I could be riding something nice, but it is a fully serviceable Mtn Bike. I am sentimental, but I love this bike and dont want to give it up. I will post a picture soon. I recently put it to a trail test and it was awesome......

#244 ·
Here are my two GT's...

..a '94 Tequesta, frame has been in storage for several years, never used or build up until i did in July 2006..

SRAM X-7, Truvativ Stylo GXP, Mavic XM 719, XT Hubs, Schwalbe Fast Fred, Syncros stem, Answer Hyperlite blue anodized handlebar....

My Arrowhead, soon to be replaced by a Zaskar frame (hopefully..)

Magura Louise FR front, HS33 back, Mavic XM 721 Ceramic back, XM 321 Disc front, DT Swiss Hubs, Race Face Evolve XC X-Type, Syncros stem/handlebar, Shimano XT, Nokian NBX 2.3, Marzocchi MX Air 85mm...