Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Post your GT here!!!

1M views 2K replies 940 participants last post by  Pawtail 
#1 ·
Thanks MTBR for setting up the GT thread!

What would a GT forum be without photos? Post your GT pictures here!

I'll start with mine:

1999 GT STS-1000-DS
98' Jr. T.
2000 Magura Gustav Ms
XT/XTR mix

Attachments

See less See more
#195 ·
It appears as though yours was re-badged/re-decaled. I searched all the catalogues from 91-98 and don't see that model decal (top tube) pictured any of those years. May be a 99 decals on an older frame. The GT decal was never placed that high on the downtube either. The first two digits are the frame size. I'm just guessing but think it's a 96 looking at the weld lines at the bottom of the chain stays.

#196 ·
#197 · (Edited)
My Frame? Not a dent anywhere. It's mint. Must be the way the light is hitting it or a reflection. Go with the Yellow and Blue decals. I think you'll find the yellow ones won't go on very well due to their age and they are tough to keep looking nice. My son has the yellow and blue ones on his bike and they do hold up much better. Just words from past experience. Being a 91 mine of course has rear u-brake bosses but also has an nternally routed rear brake cable which makes for a clean, sweet looking frame.

#203 ·
Oscar_S said:
Yes, that's what I figured. But I'm planning to re-decal it myself anyway. I have two different sets of decals for it, those you have on your Xizang and yellow/blue like this frame currently being auctioned on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7250479747&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

By the way, that frame looks like it's been dented on the chainstays.. :nono: Or am I seeing stuff that aren't there? :skep:
By the way, that one on the UK ebay listing is not a Xizang but a rebadged Lightning which was produced off shore. It's not a true USA frame. You can tell because it's fawn in color not high polished.

#207 · (Edited)
My '91 Zaskar needs advice!

HeyHey~

original owner- I've ridden the hell out of this bike! It is all original XT with the exception of the front wheel/hub (ringle super-dupper bubba) which I got about 8 or 9 years ago? I replaced the rockshox mag21 with a jett (sorry I was broke- it was all I could afford at the time) - it's a commuter so the most abuse it gets is Market Street. I'm still using the original back wheel that came with the bike (mavic M261) and I'd like to get something lighter and more tuned to the street. has anyone any recommendations for rim/hub/spoke combos? I've been eyeing the Mavic Crossride on sale at performancebike.com- looks ok, I like the idea that its light and strong, haven't read too much about it though.

Great looking bikes in this thread !!! TIA

#208 ·
finger51 said:

HeyHey~

original owner- I've ridden the hell out of this bike! It is all original XT with the exception of the front wheel/hub (ringle super-dupper bubba) which I got about 8 or 9 years ago? I replaced the rockshox mag21 with a jett (sorry I was broke- it was all I could afford at the time) - it's a commuter so the most abuse it gets is Market Street. I'm still using the original back wheel that came with the bike (mavic M261) and I'd like to get something lighter and more tuned to the street. has anyone any recommendations for rim/hub/spoke combos? I've been eyeing the Mavic Crossride on sale at performancebike.com- looks ok, I like the idea that its light and strong, haven't read too much about it though.

Great looking bikes in this thread !!! TIA
It's a classic and it's served you well. I have a 91 Xizang and I'm going to 28 hole old stock wheels on my build up. I should forever and finally found some decent pricing on some 28 hole xtr hubs. There are tons of lighter 28 hole rims available for 10-15 dollars on ebay. Your 261's are durable but I think they hit the scales at what 450-460grams each?
There were some new old stock Mavic Bontrager's on ebay at a reasonable price last week. I don't see any of the newer "wheel systems" being any lighter tham old lighter rims with 28 holes hubs. They have fewer spokes but all the rims are tanky and in the end don't save you any weight. All these 4-5 lb front suspension forks available today are overkill also. Hard to beat an older Mag 21 SL, Judy SL or SID for action and ride.

#209 ·
gm1230126 said:
Your 261's are durable but I think they hit the scales at what 450-460grams each?
I think it's closer to 500 grams, and it feels like it. my wife has a sears bought schwinn that is 15 years old, her bike is actually lighter than mine! The rack and those shocks added some heft. thanks for the leads!

#216 ·
gm1230126 said:
May be a 99 decals on an older frame.
Hi gm1230126,

I have a 99 Xizang which was painted in Team White. I stripped the paint since it was a bit rough.

The decal kit is different to this one and had red, white and black bands around it and I really liked the look of it. I've got photo somewhere if you are keen to see it. I couldn't find 99 replacement sticker kits anywhere.

Why fully paint a Ti frame anyhow...sheesh..

#217 ·
gm1230126 said:
By the way, that one on the UK ebay listing is not a Xizang but a rebadged Lightning which was produced off shore. It's not a true USA frame. You can tell because it's fawn in color not high polished.
Do you know of the differences between the Xizang and Lightning ? I haven't ever seen a Lightning in the wild so can't compare.

Are the serial numbers the only way to go or are other visible differences like the rear dropouts or the top tube cap etc ? I guess it depends on the year the frame was built and who built it.

My dropouts have GT stamped in them and don't have the bullet dropouts which are common on some Ti frames which I think Sandvik might have done.

Just wondering....

BTW: The Xizang doesn't have a polished finish after the paint is removed. I'm probably a one -off though ;)