Page 77 of 82 FirstFirst ... 27 67 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,925 of 2050
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo Mason View Post
    Yea it was really nice lots of enjoyment out of it, the harder you rode it the better it got! although it had the stock coil rear shock and original Judy suspension I had no complaints, would definitely get another! :-) I really fancy a 90's frame to play with maybe an old karakoram or timberline, I'm studying vehicle paint at the minute at college so the opportunity to paint a bike frame is always there, do you have any pics of your bikes up? I can look through this thread all day haha
    Thanks for the info!

do you have any pics of your bikes up? I can look through this thread all day haha
    Somewhere around here I've got a few pictures up. I keep meaning to take some glamour shots of my Outpost and the Pantera I got for my girlfriend, but I keep telling myself that I'm not quite done tweaking it and keep changing little things or have a few more things I want to do it and so I keep putting it off! I do have one photo handy:

That's my 1993 GT Outpost set of for commuting with a Nitto Big Front Rack, Carradice quick release saddlebag support and a Zimbale 18 liter bag. Sun Rino Lyte rims wrapped in a Panaracer T-Serv Protex up front and a 26 x 1.50 Vittoria Randonneur Pro on the rear. The only thing left stock on this bike is the front derailleur and the forks! I just picked up a 1994 GT Corrado to take over commuting duties from this tank, I've mostly stripped it and am working on polishing the paint to see what I can rehab and what needs to be worked on, so no decent pictures of that yet. I personally hand pinstriped the hammered Honjos, and then decided I wanted reflective tape everywhere, so now the rear pinstriping is in red reflective and most of the frame is covered with either red or white reflective tape, a la:

I should've cleaned the reflective sidewall on the rear tire! The view from behind:

Here's a shot of the Corrado, this is actually from the Craigslist sellers posting, and how I received it:

When I'm done with it, it will look very similar to my Outpost.

I've also got a 1988 GT Timberline that I use for bike camping and touring, which it is well suited for with its long chainstays. It's stuck mid-overhaul awaiting time to work on it and money for parts. Somewhere I've got a couple of decent pictures of it, I'll dig them up tomorrow or the next day and post them here.

I had a 2000 GT Timberline that I was interested in upgrading and using off-road and as my snow and ice bike for commuting through those conditions on the rare times that happens here, but it got stolen before I put any work into it or took any pictures of it.

I did spot three other GT's on my commute today, here's a pic of one of them:

I spotted this Timberline when I took a one block detour to avoid a snarl at a double 5 way intersection. I was running a little late for school, so I didn't have time to check it out on my way in, but luckily it was still there when I was riding home a couple hours later. I'd never seen this year Timberline before and so had to snap a few photos!

I think that GT changed from the thick and heavy, but super durable, DuPont Imron paint in 1994. I know that my '93 Timberline has the thick Imron paint (a nice red with a sort of black swirl) and my '94 Corrado has thinner paint that hasn't weathered the years so well. Between that and the inside of the lettering detail being similar to my Corrado's, I'm guessing that this Timberline is a 1994.

Again, not mine, just spotted on my commute today. I also spotted an early GT with a u-brake mounted on the seat stays that is often parked in a neighborhood I pass through, and chatted with a guy riding a purple Tachyon with a chainstay mounted u-brake and the original stem. Other than that he had it well set up for commuting with fenders, a big basket on the front and some sort of upright handlebars that seemed european in styling. What year were the purple Tachyons?

In addition to digging up the photos of my Timberline, I'll post a few photos of my girlfriends GT's tomorrow or the next day as well. She's got a bare metal Backwoods that she picked up in 2001 that was sold to her at a discount as the previous years model, although Bikepedia doesn't list the Backwoods as coming in Ball Burnished for that year. I need to check the serial number on that one, I've been wondering if it is in fact a little earlier model, or Bikepedia is just incomplete in the paint options for the Backwoods for 2000. She also has 1996 Pantera that I bought her and converted it into a city bike and bed & breakfast tourer for her, and that turned out real nice, she loves that bike. In fact, she loves both her GTs!

mtbr member
    Here's my 1998/99 ball burnished Backwoods. The only original components are the frame and wheelset.
    XT everything, and now has a new stem and bars to allow a better position for an older rider, lol...

Post your GT here!!!-wp_20130907_003sml.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OutLore View Post
    Here's my 1998/99 ball burnished Backwoods. The only original components are the frame and wheelset.
    XT everything, and now has a new stem and bars to allow a better position for an older rider, lol...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20130907_003sml.jpg 
Views:	355 
Size:	306.0 KB 
ID:	836351
    Nice! Looks sharp!

Thanks for posting it up!

mtbr member

Alright, as promised, some more pictures of our GT's. Here's my 1988 (or 89?) Timberline. This is it doing what it does best for me, being a truck or a tourer! Normally I don't carry quite that much when cycle-camping, the boxes on the front deck are actually gifts for my niece and nephew and were only there for the first dozen miles from the train station to my sisters house. I then proceeded to ride from Sacramento to Clear Lake, going south around Lake Berryessa and then up through Calistoga.* Usually I leave the front deck clear for a sixpack, firewood, or groceries, usually picked up in the last few miles before camping for the night. It also makes a great place for food from roadside farmers stands.

A buddy knew I was looking for an older GT in my size and when he ran across a guy down on his luck selling one for 5 bucks he picked it up for me. I was so broke at the time he had to wait almost two weeks for me to pay him that $5 back!

When I got it a shifter was lashed to the middle of the top tube with a leather shoelace! This had deeply gouged the paint across at least an inch of the TT, and the rest of the paint was in pretty poor shape as well. Which is saying something, as we all know those old DuPont Imron finishes are about nuke proof.

I haven't fully finished painting it, but after sanding the worst of gouges and scratches out I primered the whole thing and started painting it like this:

It usually has some nice hammered Velo Orange fenders on it, which helps put the camo paint into the proper tongue-in-cheek perspective, but I pulled them off for my ride across California because I did a little trail riding that trip as well.

For a time, this was my only bike, I so I actually took it out mountain biking too! For a full rigid bike with long chainstays and with the racks still mounted, it did fine! Here's a picture of it with the meatiest rubber I could squeeze into the rear triangle. Clearly in 1988 they weren't anticipating 2.4" Mountain King tires! My girlfriend benefitted from that, she's got that nice Conti tire on the rear of her Backwoods and she loves the way it clambers over everything now!

Here's another shot from another short tour I did with this bike. I LOVE the way it handles loaded, it's as if it was meant to be loaded down with dozens of pounds of wide load, including across the front rack. Rock steady, even in 45+MPH descents while loaded. I LOVE steel GT's!

After taking a hiatus from cycling for about six years, I finally got my **** together enough to get the Timberline rolling again. The above picture was from my first short tour on it after having commuted on it for a few months. My face actually hurt from smiling so much when I rolled out of the train station on it fully loaded for the first time.

There's no better feeling in the world than being on a mountain bike, with all your camping gear aboard. You can do anything or go anywhere!

One last shot of the Timberline for now. This one illustrates one of the benefits of having a two legged kickstand! (Punctured front tire change without fully unloading the bike!)

Unfortunately, the Timberline is stuck mid-overhaul right now. I wasn't entirely happy with how it was set-up and managed to wear out the chain and the front derailleur, as well as putting a nice hop into the rear wheel (someday I'll learn how to true a wheel without wrecking it!), so this bike is waiting for me to have the time and funds to rebuild it with a different handlebar/stem set-up and lower gearing. It still had the 51-42-32 crankset on it that I was running on it when I was a legal messenger and a very fit 30 year old. Not ideal for an overweight 40 year old using it for loaded touring!

It'll be keeping the Old Man Mountain brand Cold Springs model front rack and the Jandd Expedition rear rack and getting the nice hammered VO fenders back on. Hopefully I'll have time to finish up the paint and clear coat it as well! I'll be repainting the deck of the OMM front rack, the skull and crossbones are a holdover from when the whole bike was primered and it was getting locked up downtown a lot. I'm toying with the idea of taking advantage of the drum brake mounting point on the 48H rear hub I've got for it and converting the rear to drum brakes. The underneath mounted U-brake is long gone, a friend and I sliced off the studs for those and welded on canti studs in the usual location before I knew that a good U-brake is pretty good! I like having the clearance underneath though, so I'm okay with having done that. I've since upgraded to a great helmet mirror (Safe Zone), so the handlebar mirror already gone (which is good, because sometimes you need that clearance to shoot between things!), and I'll find something nicer than zip ties for cable guides!

Next up, my girlfriends' 1996 Pantera converted for city duties and longer unloaded rides.

* I don't actually recommend this route! The mountains were brutal and for miles it is twisty two lane road with no shoulder, which often has quite a lot of fast moving traffic on it. Frankly, it was rather dangerous and no fun for about a third of the route! If I do it again, I'll take the more direct route, and load myself down with water. There aren't any services AT ALL for a long ways on the direct route and the way I went was at least much prettier and not out exposed to the valley sun for dozens of miles.

the half breed devil
    night fighter configuration...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your GT here!!!-20131017_205929.jpg  

mtbr member
    I love the look of GT's Cross bikes, I wish they had disc tabs.
    Live fast, Die young, Leave a good looking corpse!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    GT Aggressor 1.0 2012 - 8 Speed Alivio Shifters ; Shimano M395 Hydraulic Brakes ; Maxxis Larsen + Maxxis Monorail

Post your GT here!!!-1396888_10151701387523587_1902232582_o.jpg

mtbr member

Post your GT here!!!

Cheap build ... Have more fun on this one than my others !

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    This is my trusty hardtail. A Gt Avalanche , 0,5 , well , sort of it . Only a few parts remains original : frame ( super-hard----) , seatpost, brakes ( calipers and levers )and front derailleur . But the updates , not always implies a seizure . Anyway , the fork is a Sektor dual position coil, handlebar truvativ ( 70 cm ) , stem zoom, wheels fulcrum, tires purgatory and intense ,derailleur XT shadow with x9 shifter , cranks from a Specialized Enduro, saddle Selle ,grips Esigrips, 203 front disc Shimano , and so on .

A perfect All Mountain HT ....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your GT here!!!-dsc02591.jpg  

mtbr member
    94 16" Turquoise Zaskar in all it's original glory.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your GT here!!!-gedc2300.jpg  

Post your GT here!!!-gedc2302.jpg  

Post your GT here!!!-gedc2304.jpg  

Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

Sergeant Spandex

1994 GT Psyclone

gm1230126 thanks for all of the help on this up to now

I posted these pics on the VRC forum as well but....

1994 Psyclone and Bologna lite fork with a handful of GT bits I have collected over the years. Looking to make a total period correct build, maybe all GT branded stuff but we will see.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your GT here!!!-psyclone-13-web.jpg  

Post your GT here!!!-psyclone-14-web.jpg  

Post your GT here!!!-psyclone-22-web.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisfoto View Post
    gm1230126 thanks for all of the help on this up to now

I posted these pics on the VRC forum as well but....

1994 Psyclone and Bologna lite fork with a handful of GT bits I have collected over the years. Looking to make a total period correct build, maybe all GT branded stuff but we will see.
    WOW, that's mint! Is that a NOS stock frame?

ISO: 22" GT Rebound frame, year 2000 model

Sergeant Spandex
    No, just very low miles, but thanks for the nice words

Steven

mtbr member
    Did you ever build it up?
    Live fast, Die young, Leave a good looking corpse!

Sergeant Spandex
    Quote Originally Posted by bridgestone14 View Post
    Did you ever build it up?
    These pictures were taken last week so I am in the process of finding the right parts

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Hello,
    A few pics of my Zaskar Race (2001).

Crank Shimano Deore XT, 3x9
    Front derailleur: Shimano XT
    Rear derailleur: Sram X0
    Gear shifters: Sram X9
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your GT here!!!-dsc03816_small.jpg  

Post your GT here!!!-dsc03821_small.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

gt aggressor xc2 and specialized hardrock

Post your GT here!!!-photo-1.jpgPost your GT here!!!-photo-2.jpgPost your GT here!!!-photo-3.jpg my friends absolutely stunning aggressor xc2 and my 2011 specialized hardrock sport disc. we've had loads of adventures on these 2 beasts!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    this is a nice story. :-) thank you for sharing. now i'm planning on a mountain bike camping/tour for early next year (I hope).

orange617
    Just sharing my first custom build...GT Force Expert Carbon 2010...got the frame on sale from nashbar a month back.

Post your GT here!!!-imag2618xxx.jpg

Post your GT here!!!-imag2620xxx.jpg

Post your GT here!!!-imag2623xxx.jpg
    Last edited by orange617; 12-27-2013 at 03:33 PM.

rebmem rbtm
    Awesome Build!!! Is that a 55R??? Looking forward to have my carbon force looking like that soon

orange617
    Quote Originally Posted by juancho142 View Post
    Awesome Build!!! Is that a 55R??? Looking forward to have my carbon force looking like that soon
    55 TST2 air...thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    what is the seatpost diameter of the new gt zaskar 26er???

-thanks
    2013 Giant Revel 0

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

My GT's

The Tiger -

Post your GT here!!!-gt-zaskar-mine-.jpgPost your GT here!!!-gt-zaskar-mine-3.jpg

1996 GT Zaskar 19": Saw this beast for sale on Craigslist about 5 years ago. It was a little run down. Manitou Spyder fork, no decals, Alivio shifters, Deore rear derailleur, cheap Alex wheels. But the frame had caught me. It looked Mean and spirited. In the sale photo, it was inside a small storage room It seemed confined and dangerous. It snarled through the computer screen. I made a move that same day. Met the guy and the frame was in good condition. It rode decent enough to tackle trails. Best $350 I have spent.

Cleaned it up. Got it tuned. Then over the years put a Marzocchi Z2 Bomber on it, Mavic m231 wheels/Shimano XTR m900 hubs, new seat/seatpost, new tires, decals, used but good XT shifters for cheap on Ebay, etc.

Anyway, this bike has been all that I believed it would be. Fast, agile, durable. The acceleration borderline maniacal . Only use it on the trail now. The red just catches the eyes of thieves.Only use it on the trail now. The red just catches the eyes of thieves. They have tried to wrestle it from its post at the supermarket. Someone tried to cut the u-lock at the library. Lucky I didn't see them though...because I would risk broken bones for it. Honestly I see another 10 years out of this frame. It has been put through many rough rides and doesn't seem to show any weaknesses yet. "The Tiger" IMHO catches the forces of balance between: simplicity, power, and lightweight. Love this bike.

2) The Goat -

Post your GT here!!!-pict0678.jpgPost your GT here!!!-pict0681.jpg

1993 GT Karakoram 18": Have had it for a few years. Its a great climber and can run well. Love it for trails, commuting, and general hack-stuff around the neighborhood. The steel frame and steel fork have a very nice feel. Forgiving, fast enough, and very durable. This one will probably last 10+ years as well, there is no sign of weakness.

Love my GT's.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your GT here!!!-gt-karakoram-mine-2.jpg  

Last edited by maroon113; 12-31-2013 at 01:26 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2010

Introducing my new GT Zaskar Elite Black/Gold Edition!

Post your GT here!!!-1.jpgPost your GT here!!!-3.jpgPost your GT here!!!-4.jpg

Well guys, after many years of waiting, finally I have a Zaskar. But trying my best to reach the best one that money can buy...
    It was a hidden jewel at Runners Bike Store here in Argentina. My country is out of official GT dealers support, so for me it is a great one punch!

Glad to be part of GT world, part from now of the Zaskar family.

The best for all of you guys!
    "Barakus GT Biker"From ARG to the WORLD!

mtbr member
    Nice one Alejo. Is that Zaskar version a Hans Rey collection too?

Page 77 of 82 FirstFirst ... 27 67 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 ... LastLast