Page 31 of 82 FirstFirst ... 21 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 41 81 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

my single speed pantera

Okay, here is mine. I got the bike as a freebie, stripped down to the frame and built it up as a single speed with spare parts that I had in my garage.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    my 08 avalanche 3.0

stock except for new cranks, handle bars, pedals, chain, rear cogs, tires, rear deraileur upgraded to xt.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

My Sanction 3.0

Here's my 2008 Sanction 3.0 with a few upgrades

- Marzocchi 55ATA fork
    - Juicy 5 brakes
    - Crank Brothers Acid 1 pedals
    - Lizard Skin Grips (Installed after the pics)

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

1994 GT Zaskar LE

Here is one of my GTs a 1994 Zaskar LE
    Specs: Rock Shox Mag 20, Cook Bros RSR crankset, X-ray shifters, XTR rear derailleur, Suntour X1 front derailleur, Dia Compe 986 brakes w/SS-5 levers, Campy hubs & rims, Ringle post, Control Tech stem & Bontranger bars

My other GTs, real single speeds of course
    1986 GT Pro Performer
    1992 Robinson SST (yes it is pretty much a GT)
    2005 GT Power series XL
    2006 GT Jamie Bestwick Pro, frame only

mtbr member

Here's my interpretation of an all urban GT single speed bike. - Maybe it's not your cup of tea, but that's okay.

It's based on an old and scratched Karakoram from the early 90's.

I decided that this vintage beauty doesn't have to to bite the dust necessarily. - By the way, there are still coevals who just throw these ancient pieces to junkyard.

Without any doubt, this is the better approach, isn't it?

[IMG]http://fstatic1.mtb-news.de/img/photos/2/2/9/2/7/_/large/Karakoram8
    .jpg[/IMG]

Although you can't call my GT a mountainbike now, but that's okay! Let's say it's made for having fun and getting my croissants in the morning.

You see, this recycled piece is currently my favourite bike to pass the daily urban jungle with flying colors.

You betcha! It's also possible to enter a oad race contest.

Tom

mtbr member
    Wow, you really know how to put together a nice build. Let me be the first to say, well done sir. How did you get the finish on the welds? Scuff pad and just let it oxidize?

mtbr member
    Thank you. The explanation is very simple. The welds were painted with brass color.

Tom

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Hats off! I can't decide if I like your Kara or your pictures better! Awsome decision on an awsome bike! I hope you would clear coat it though, so you don't have to lose those nice decals in trying to remove rusts.

So those are self made decals? Did you custom order? Where, may I ask? That's just so cool - single GT speed.

I should get my Tequesta back as an urban bike like yours. You put some $$ (and love) on that thing. Next time you go to the junk yard please take me with you!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    It's not painted...your Kara was welded with a different metal than the Chromoly the tubes are made of. It looks pretty sweet. Did you put any kind of clearcoat over the frame? If not, I recommend you do or your bike will turn into a pile of rust pretty quick. The clearcoat should protect it. Your ride looks awesome. Thanks for saving the Kara from a junkyard death. I have one that I turned into a singlespeed mountain bike. It's work in progress but I'm getting there. I powdercoated it the original metallic purple it came on.
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.

mtbr member
    May 2009

Hello. Newbie here...Bought a used KARAKORAM

Hello everyone.

Just registered last night, after purchasing a used bike on Craigslist. The main reason I wanted a bike was to ride with my kids at the local parks and trails.
    I was somewhat into bikes in the Junior/ High school years (GT Mach Ones and GT Timberlines) but faded quickly when I got my first car!

I saw a listing for a GT KARAKORAM for $50 OBO. Went over and tested it out, and found a few rusts and a rear flat(which looks like I need to replace the tube) so I dealt a $35 offer, which the seller accepted.

Looks like I need to fix a few items (Front Brake is making a sound like an elephant and the rear brake isn’t as tight as I want it to be).
    Upon searching this website, you guys really take care of your stuff and inspires a newbie like me to do the same.

There are a few rust portions where there are chips and where the screws are mounted. How do I get rid of that?
    Is repainting the frame recommended?

I have taken a few photos to show you what I have to work with and if any of the parts are easily fixable (parts still available?).

Can you tell by the photos how old this is and if I have gotten the better portion of the deal?

Thank you for your help!

Last edited by nabeeko; 06-01-2009 at 10:15 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    You, sir, need to start a new thread about this bike, yes it’s well worth $35 – heck, I would’ve plunked down $50 even with a flat tire. Major drool. A lot of folks on this board lust over old Karakorams and Zaskars alike, that you should get better feedbacks if you start your own thread (not to mention it takes like 2 min to load this complete page). I like what sybarite did on his rescued Karakoram. And now you. All of the sudden I got an urge to acquire similar fine piece of art… Create a new thread, please

On the second thoguht - "All Things Karakoram" thread maybe a nice one!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hatake
    You, sir, need to start a new thread about this bike, yes it’s well worth $35 – heck, I would’ve plunked down $50 even with a flat tire. Major drool. A lot of folks on this board lust over old Karakorams and Zaskars alike, that you should get better feedbacks if you start your own thread (not to mention it takes like 2 min to load this complete page). I like what sybarite did on his rescued Karakoram. And now you. All of the sudden I got an urge to acquire similar fine piece of art… Create a new thread, please

On the second thoguht - "All Things Karakoram" thread maybe a nice one!
    Agreed on all counts. Sybarite also got me motivated to put together an single speed Karakoram... I'm using some boring spare parts..... should be done once I source some appropriate city tires.

Nabeeko, good score.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    He he, Linoleum, I would start Karakoram thread if I had one. Until such day comes, it's up to all you boys. Old Karakoram is really, really, growing on me. Not that I have any more space left to hide the bike... Now that's the problem.

mtbr member
    May 2009

Thanks guys!

I just found Sybarite rebuild of his Karakoram...

Now I know what to do with mine, obviously he has the talent

Great inspiration!!!

If I strip mine of paint (or sand off the paint) would the frame rust? How do you stop that?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nabeeko
    If I strip mine of paint (or sand off the paint) would the frame rust? How do you stop that?
    I think you can clearcoat the bare metal but not sure how durable that is long term. If the paint is gone on your ride, you could get it powdercoated and still be ahead on the deal!

mtbr member
    May 2009

2007 Avalanche 3.0 Disc

Thought I would start my first post here with some pictures. Not many stock parts left.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    My 2001 GT hope to replace it soon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drummondjhn
    My 2001 GT hope to replace it soon

Don't replace it, single speed it. You wil have lots of fun with it and it will be a blast to ride!

Ken

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I agree!!! don't replace it singlespeed it dude.
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    '93 Zaskar SS
    Last edited by pexio; 06-13-2009 at 05:00 AM.

mtbr member

My GT Lightning MTB

Its an all new build for this old frameset. Titanium frame with a RockShock REBA Team lowered to 70mm in front. Ritchey headset, XT components for brakes and SLX for the derailleurs and shift levers. Raceface carbon bars, stem and seat post with a Rolls Classic Ti rail saddle. Enjoy!!!

TiFreak
    Aug 2007
    Here's my contribution to the thread. When new she was a 1997 Avalanche but over the year's she has had a few part's changed. Still looking for an old Race Face stem and I'm changing the pedal's too. Hope you enjoy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by st1nkl3
    hey guys. i've looked at the "post your GT here!!" thread a lot and noticed that there isn't enough green in it... so here is my 99 Avalanche, got the frame off eBay and built it up from there. This is my 1st real mtn bike. very fun bike!

all SRAM drivetrain
    avid brakes
    marz xc 600 fork
    sun/shimano wheels
    answer carbon bar

-stinkle
    Nice bike! I also bought a '99 Avalanche off ebay a couple years ago. Came with a Bomber Z2 fork. I just switch all my stuff from my '96 Tequesta over. Love the bike.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    here's my 97' Aggressor i've had since i was 12.
    [IMG] Image Hosting[/IMG]

and my fairly new Marathon 2.0

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by midniteblack
    here's my 97' Aggressor i've had since i was 12.

and my fairly new Marathon 2.0

i prefer the ride beside the marathon....that look more eye catching...
    anyway nice ride u got there....time to revamp the old bike and make it looks new...

Page 31 of 82 FirstFirst ... 21 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 41 81 ... LastLast