Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Nice day for a ride.....

The polished Avalanche - version 2

So, about a year ago I stripped and polished my old 2003 Avalanche frame which turned out pretty kick @$$
    The Polished Avalanche :D

Shorty after which the chainstay cracked and GT replaced it with a warranty frame, a brand new old stock 2006 Avalanche
    Thanks GT bikes!!! - another Avalanche

As good as the replacement frame looked it just wasn't enough for me, so since I have lots of time on my hands being laid off and all, I decided to have another go at the stripping and polishing work. I used the same materials and methods as the last 2003 frame.

The decal kit is from a '90s Zaskar I picked up off of eBay. I sure as hell can't afford a Zaskar re-issue so I built my own "Zaskar Clone", after all, the Avalanche is the poor mans Zaskar

Before pic

Ok, now for the good stuff, the after shots

Took forever to load the pictures with my dial up so I hope they are enjoyed!

Thanks for looking.
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

Training wheels ON
    Jan 2009
    Very nice.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I'm speechless, you've done it again bro. Can't wait to see the whole ride put together.
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.

Nice day for a ride.....
    Thanks guys, I'll have some build pictures up soon, just waiting on a headset right now, then I can get her put together.
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Tempted to go find me a used Avalanche frame and give it a try. Don't want to attempt it on my new 2.0. Id it pretty much paint stripper and aluminum polish and a lot of elbow grease.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    BTW - your bike looks awesome.

Nice day for a ride.....
    Quote Originally Posted by 10sballs
    Tempted to go find me a used Avalanche frame and give it a try. Don't want to attempt it on my new 2.0. Id it pretty much paint stripper and aluminum polish and a lot of elbow grease.
    Lots of paint stripper and steel wool, along with a good steel brush. Then just polish the hell out of it, and plan to keep on polishing it. Aluminum will begin to oxidize immediately and will need a re-polish every 2-4 weeks or so to keep it looking good.
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Is there a clear coat you can use to prevent it from oxidizing?

Nice day for a ride.....
    Is there a clear coat you can use to prevent it from oxidizing?
    IMO clear coat over polished aluminum looks terrible once the clearcoat starts to get scratched all up. With bare aluminum you can buff and polish the scratches right out. Also, aluminum has to be etched to get paint to stick so I imagine it might have a hard time sticking to the smooth polished surface, but I could be wrong.
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Ratch, I noticed the 2009 Avalanche 1.0 now comes in the white frame. Do you know if the 2009 1.0 frame is pretty much the same frame as my 2008 2.0 which I got in white. love that white frame.

Nice day for a ride.....
    Ratch, I noticed the 2009 Avalanche 1.0 now comes in the white frame. Do you know if the 2009 1.0 frame is pretty much the same frame as my 2008 2.0 which I got in white. love that white frame.
    I've checked out the '09s at the LBS, they look like the identical frame setup as the '08s. As far as I've seen the 2008/2009 1.0&2.0 are all the same.
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RatchAttack
    I've checked out the '09s at the LBS, they look like the identical frame setup as the '08s. As far as I've seen the 2008/2009 1.0&2.0 are all the same.

Thanks Ratch. I'm thinking about changing the cassette on my '08 2.0 to a 11-28 (8 speed). Is there anything else I need to swap out. I was planning to just use the same rear derailleur. I wanted to go to a 9 speed cassette (11 - 28), but then I think I have to change my crankset. The bike came with the FC-M341which I think is for a 8 speed drivetrain. Appreciate any guidance.

Nice day for a ride.....
    Thanks Ratch. I'm thinking about changing the cassette on my '08 2.0 to a 11-28 (8 speed). Is there anything else I need to swap out. I was planning to just use the same rear derailleur. I wanted to go to a 9 speed cassette (11 - 28), but then I think I have to change my crankset. The bike came with the FC-M341which I think is for a 8 speed drivetrain. Appreciate any guidance.
    Could you change out the chainrings to some 9-speed friendly versions? If you do go with another 8 speed cassette try looking for something a bit bigger than a 28 if you live in hilly parts. My 9 speed cassette is 34-11.
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RatchAttack
    Could you change out the chainrings to some 9-speed friendly versions? If you do go with another 8 speed cassette try looking for something a bit bigger than a 28 if you live in hilly parts. My 9 speed cassette is 34-11.
    I'll check out the prices for the 9 speed friendly chainrings. I guess I'll also have to swap out the rear shifter to a 9 speed shifter. I was going with the 11-28 since I use the 2.0 for mainly road miles. I have a stumpy FSR that I use in the hills That bike does have a 11-34.
    thanks

Nice day for a ride.....
    I'll check out the prices for the 9 speed friendly chainrings. I guess I'll also have to swap out the rear shifter to a 9 speed shifter. I was going with the 11-28 since I use the 2.0 for mainly road miles. I have a stumpy FSR that I use in the hills That bike does have a 11-34.
    thanks
    Ok gotcha! If your riding roads and paths you most likely won't need the low gearing. I'd stick to the 8 speed in that case.
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Nicely done Ratch . So when are you going to build it up so we can see completed pictures?

I agree with the Avalanche being the poorman's Zaskar. In '97 I almost got an Avalanche LE but the distributor sent my LBS a '96 frame which wasn't 6061 so I did not go with that. I ended up going with a Zaskar instead . I still have that bike though it spends a lot of time on my trainer while I ride my YBB these days.

Keep up the great work and I'm looking forward to seeing the completed build.
    2011 Quiring 29er Steel Hardtail
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

Nice day for a ride.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaskar24
    Nicely done Ratch . So when are you going to build it up so we can see completed pictures?

I agree with the Avalanche being the poorman's Zaskar. In '97 I almost got an Avalanche LE but the distributor sent my LBS a '96 frame which wasn't 6061 so I did not go with that. I ended up going with a Zaskar instead . I still have that bike though it spends a lot of time on my trainer while I ride my YBB these days.

Keep up the great work and I'm looking forward to seeing the completed build.
    Thanks.

I'm currently waiting on a new headset for the frame, once it gets here I'll have it built in a couple of hours.... I'm hoping for next week. I'll be posting some pics as soon as its built.
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

mtbr member
    That's very sleek! Definitely something to be proud of.

Nice day for a ride.....
    I've finally got this project finished up, looks pretty sweet all built. Time to ride.....

Let me know what you think!
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

mtbr member
    That's sweet as. That's going to turn heads.

Nice day for a ride.....
    Quote Originally Posted by peternguyen
    That's sweet as. That's going to turn heads.
    thanks man!
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Awesome ride! What components are you running? I'm thinking about upgrading the wheelset on my '08 2.0. Looking for something lighter since the bike is used mainly on the road. I'll keep the wheelset which came on the bike and use it if I decide to take the bike offroad. Any suggestions. BTW: I got the a SRAM 850 11-28 cassette, just have to put it on.

banned
    That's pretty cool of GT to honor the warranty. Lots of these companies freak out when one strips the paint.

Nice day for a ride.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    That's pretty cool of GT to honor the warranty. Lots of these companies freak out when one strips the paint.
    Not only that, the frame was also out of its 5 year warranty period.... thanks GT!!!!
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

Nice day for a ride.....
    Awesome ride! What components are you running? I'm thinking about upgrading the wheelset on my '08 2.0. Looking for something lighter since the bike is used mainly on the road. I'll keep the wheelset which came on the bike and use it if I decide to take the bike offroad. Any suggestions. BTW: I got the a SRAM 850 11-28 cassette, just have to put it on.

I'm running a full SRAM X7 setup with RaceFace cranks, bar, stem, Titec post, Tora 318 Soloair 100mm with remote lockout. Mavic rims on Shimano hubs for wheels, which work pretty good, but my other Avalanche has a custom handbuilt set from a local wheelsmith which are Formula hubs on Mavic rims with DT spokes. That set is about 1500 grams, handles like a dream with those bad boys.
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast