Results 1 to 35 of 35
  1. #1
    Nice day for a ride..... Moderator
    Reputation: Bikin' Bric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,856

    The Polished Avalanche :D

    So I woke up this morning thinking that my tired old Avalanche frame needed to get looking more bling today. After some quick research I made my way to the local hardware store where I picked up:
    -Paint Remover
    -Scotchbrite pads
    -fine steel wool (#0)
    -protective gloves
    -Mothers Aluminum polish
    -Nevrdull

    Heres the Avalanche before



    After applying the paint stripper let it sit for about 30 min then go to town with the scotchbrite pads


    Tested out the Mothers polish on a small spot


    After the first application of polish


    After the 6th application (and 8 hours later)- as good as it gets for now




    GT..... HAIL TO THE KING BABY!




    This is my first stripped and polished frame, I thought it turned out really well
    I can't wait to build it back up.... now I have 2 GT's in my quiver of bikes
    GT ROCKS!!!!
    Bikin' Bric's Bike Blog

    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fat Bike
    2016 Norco Torrent

  2. #2
    GT-Maniac
    Reputation: Lobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    107
    Great job!!!

  3. #3
    cup
    cup is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    223
    looks really good man..

  4. #4
    NormalNorm
    Reputation: norm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    935
    Looks way better...I like how the welds stand out.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    58
    Spectacular!!!

  6. #6
    GAME ON!
    Reputation: saturnine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,968
    shiny
    RIP Adam Yauch

    "M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gm1230126's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,970
    Bet your elbows and fingers were a hurtin'!
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    15
    Now you can sell it at the price of GT Zaskar Re-issue %) Great job, man!

  9. #9
    Nice day for a ride..... Moderator
    Reputation: Bikin' Bric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,856
    Yeah my arms and fingers where pretty sore and stained black from the polish, but its all worth it in the end.
    Now I need to get me some sweet GT decals and build it up
    Bikin' Bric's Bike Blog

    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fat Bike
    2016 Norco Torrent

  10. #10
    Misfit Psycles
    Reputation: nogearshere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,772
    Quote Originally Posted by RatchAttack
    Yeah my arms and fingers where pretty sore and stained black from the polish, but its all worth it in the end.
    Now I need to get me some sweet GT decals and build it up
    You can see if, by chance, there is something left floating around BUT this is from the GT site:
    Q: How can I get replacement decals for my bike? I'm repainting it and I want it to look like new -

    A: Unfortunately, original frame decals and stickers for pre-bankruptcy bikes are no longer available, and all new products come clear coated from the factory, eliminating the need for replacement decal sheets.
    So why not try Genesis Cycles - I assume they are still doing GT in Canada.

    Otherwise I'd send a pic direct to GT in Madison...you never know...maybe...

    Either way that's an awesome job and it won't suffer at all if it never gets decals!
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

  11. #11
    Nice day for a ride..... Moderator
    Reputation: Bikin' Bric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,856
    Quote Originally Posted by nogearshere
    You can see if, by chance, there is something left floating around BUT this is from the GT site:


    So why not try Genesis Cycles - I assume they are still doing GT in Canada.

    Otherwise I'd send a pic direct to GT in Madison...you never know...maybe...

    Either way that's an awesome job and it won't suffer at all if it never gets decals!
    I might be in luck, the manager of the local GT dealer said he may have some NOS GT sticker sheets lying around, something of the likes you'd see on e-bay.
    hopefully it works out for me.
    Bikin' Bric's Bike Blog

    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fat Bike
    2016 Norco Torrent

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bagpipes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    554
    No decals, that frame is sweet as it stands. The only decal that should touch that frame is a headtube badge, preferably with zero colour, just black.

    That looks so good.

    I think I need to strip my truck's paint and shine it up like that.
    There are no "mistakes"; only learning curves.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: HubbaMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    896
    Wow, lots of work there, looks wicked!!

    I love polished frames, super easy to clean and there's no paint to get scratched!

    I used to use NeverDull but recently picked up a small (and expensive) container of Mother's Billet at Cnd Tire. It works so well I'll never use the Never Dull again, there was no comparison.

  14. #14
    Nice day for a ride..... Moderator
    Reputation: Bikin' Bric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,856
    Quote Originally Posted by HubbaMan
    Wow, lots of work there, looks wicked!!

    I love polished frames, super easy to clean and there's no paint to get scratched!

    I used to use NeverDull but recently picked up a small (and expensive) container of Mother's Billet at Cnd Tire. It works so well I'll never use the Never Dull again, there was no comparison.
    I also found that the Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish worked alot better than the Nevrdull, the shine was much better. Shes looking mighty good now after 10 polish jobs. I'll have to post some more pics when its built up.
    Bikin' Bric's Bike Blog

    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fat Bike
    2016 Norco Torrent

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: HubbaMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    896
    holy crap, 10 polish jobs

    Just think of all the weight you saved by removing the paint!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gm1230126's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,970
    Quote Originally Posted by nogearshere
    You can see if, by chance, there is something left floating around BUT this is from the GT site:


    So why not try Genesis Cycles - I assume they are still doing GT in Canada.

    Otherwise I'd send a pic direct to GT in Madison...you never know...maybe...

    Either way that's an awesome job and it won't suffer at all if it never gets decals!
    The guy that goes by "Felzno" on eBay. He's your go to guy for decals. Only has originals but I think on the Avalanches he's down to the 97 model year only. E-mail Paul at PS930@yahoo.com and ask him. He's also got a Yahoo Group called "GT decals".
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gm1230126's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,970
    Just remember....you now have a polished frames. If you live near a salty shoreline keep close tabs on it. It's not Ball Burnished so it will take some upkeep and it will oxidize and tarnish more easily...so it will require some maintenance. Ball Burnishing is a different process altogether. The surface is actually shot-peened with ball bearings so it's harder on the surface.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

  18. #18
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,288
    Quote Originally Posted by RatchAttack
    Yeah my arms and fingers where pretty sore and stained black from the polish, but its all worth it in the end.
    Now I need to get me some sweet GT decals and build it up
    Try here,

    http://sporting-goods.search.ebay.co...saobfmtsZinsif

  19. #19
    Nice day for a ride..... Moderator
    Reputation: Bikin' Bric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,856
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil
    cool, thanks for the heads up!
    Bikin' Bric's Bike Blog

    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fat Bike
    2016 Norco Torrent

  20. #20
    Devolution is real!
    Reputation: toyota200x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    477
    Quote Originally Posted by norm
    Looks way better...I like how the welds stand out.
    I agree, it looks amazing.

  21. #21
    Nice day for a ride..... Moderator
    Reputation: Bikin' Bric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,856
    Just a tease......... here is a spy photo of the incomplete build



    I'm still waiting on a new fork to arrive as well as some other goodies, watch for more in the coming weeks !
    Bikin' Bric's Bike Blog

    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fat Bike
    2016 Norco Torrent

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    961
    You should get it clearcoated. I was told by a friend of mine that auto paint shops have to use up all the clearcoat on the spray gun since they can't use any leftovers later, so maybe one of them can hook you up and put a couple of coats on your baby to keep it protected and pristine. I'm looking into buying a frame and I think I'm gonna go your way and strip it all down and polish it up. I just need to find a cheap gt frame. That thing looks sweet dude.

  23. #23
    Nice day for a ride..... Moderator
    Reputation: Bikin' Bric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,856
    Quote Originally Posted by gt jorgito
    You should get it clearcoated. I was told by a friend of mine that auto paint shops have to use up all the clearcoat on the spray gun since they can't use any leftovers later, so maybe one of them can hook you up and put a couple of coats on your baby to keep it protected and pristine. I'm looking into buying a frame and I think I'm gonna go your way and strip it all down and polish it up. I just need to find a cheap gt frame. That thing looks sweet dude.
    the clearcoat idea has crossed my mind but I decided to go without for two reasons:
    1) the clearcoat will scratch and dirt gets into the scratches and will make it look like hell
    2) I won't be able to polish it up again if it begins to dull.

    I've had a few old motorcycles that had polished then clearcoated engines, the clear would always flake away and the aluminum would look rather ratty. I've always stripped the engines of the clearcoat and then hand polished them to get a nice shine.
    Bikin' Bric's Bike Blog

    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fat Bike
    2016 Norco Torrent

  24. #24
    Nice day for a ride..... Moderator
    Reputation: Bikin' Bric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,856
    The project is now complete, took alot of effort but well worth it in the end
    2003 GT Avalanche 1.0 frame, stripped and polished
    -Tora 318 Soloair fork
    -Sram X7 shifters, rear der.
    -Shimano front der, hubs
    -Mavic F219 disc rims w/ DT spokes
    -Sram 970 Cassette
    -Avid Juicy 5 brakes
    -FSA headset
    -RaceFace Evolve XC cranks, stem, Air Alloy bars
    -Kenda Karma DTC tires
    -Avid Flack Jacket cable housings










    Now some pics beside its brother, my 2008 custom GT Avalanche
    Reba fork, Bontrager wheels and GXP crank, Truvativ carbon bars, Thomson stem and post, Sram X9 ****ers and derailleurs, Sram 990 cassette, Hayes HFX-9 brakes, more goodies.






    Bikin' Bric's Bike Blog

    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fat Bike
    2016 Norco Torrent

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: HubbaMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    896

    Looking saweeeet!!!

    Very nice work, wow that polished frame looks sooo nice

    Now get some dirt on those bikes will ya, it's almost the end of April sheesh!!

  26. #26
    Nice day for a ride..... Moderator
    Reputation: Bikin' Bric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,856
    Quote Originally Posted by HubbaMan
    Very nice work, wow that polished frame looks sooo nice

    Now get some dirt on those bikes will ya, it's almost the end of April sheesh!!
    I wish I could man, I'm still down and out from surgery though, but the beginning of May looks to be promising
    Bikin' Bric's Bike Blog

    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fat Bike
    2016 Norco Torrent

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: HubbaMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    896
    Quote Originally Posted by RatchAttack
    I wish I could man, I'm still down and out from surgery though, but the beginning of May looks to be promising
    I hope everything heals up quickly and you can get out for early May. The trails are in amazing shape. At least you've been extremely productive with your down time

    I was up on the Trans Canada trail this past weekend and it was pretty dry riding, used some snow (in shaded spots) to cool off every now and then since it was 28 degrees

    I think the bugs will be out early if these temps continue.

  28. #28
    Nice day for a ride..... Moderator
    Reputation: Bikin' Bric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,856
    Quote Originally Posted by HubbaMan
    I hope everything heals up quickly and you can get out for early May. The trails are in amazing shape. At least you've been extremely productive with your down time

    I was up on the Trans Canada trail this past weekend and it was pretty dry riding, used some snow (in shaded spots) to cool off every now and then since it was 28 degrees

    I think the bugs will be out early if these temps continue.
    Yeah it certainly bothers me to sit about and do nothing so I HAD to get out in the garage for at least a day.

    I'd take a ride with the bugs over sitting here bored any day! Just gotta bring along the deep woods off. Do a ride for me will ya
    Bikin' Bric's Bike Blog

    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fat Bike
    2016 Norco Torrent

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4
    lol. the bike looks like it's naked now

    but why is all this stuff good?:
    Quote Originally Posted by RatchAttack
    -Tora 318 Soloair fork
    -Sram X7 shifters, rear der.
    -Shimano front der, hubs
    -Mavic F219 disc rims w/ DT spokes
    -Sram 970 Cassette
    -Avid Juicy 5 brakes
    -FSA headset
    -RaceFace Evolve XC cranks, stem, Air Alloy bars
    -Kenda Karma DTC tires
    -Avid Flack Jacket cable housings
    2008 GT avalanche 3.0 disc is bad compared to all this stuff?

  30. #30
    Nice day for a ride..... Moderator
    Reputation: Bikin' Bric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,856
    Quote Originally Posted by vull
    lol. the bike looks like it's naked now

    but why is all this stuff good?:

    2008 GT avalanche 3.0 disc is bad compared to all this stuff?
    the 3.0 is not bad, its a great bike to build on. All the parts on mine are good cause they are better quality then you would find on any stock Avalanche.

    My other Avalanche, a 2008 2.0, has been decked out pretty well. It can be seen here My new Avalanche - rocked out!!!!
    although a few changes have been made since then.
    Bikin' Bric's Bike Blog

    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fat Bike
    2016 Norco Torrent

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    70

    Must be GT cleaning time

    I've been busy with the Mother's polish myself. BTW, are you sure that's not my Zaskar you've got there?

    If you still want to track down stickers, try here: http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/GTdecals/
    Attached Images Attached Images

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    77
    I gotta say the old bike looks better than the new one As an added bonus you may have lost a pound or two by removing the paint. Now I think a ride report of the new build and some dirty pictures are in order.

  33. #33
    Nice day for a ride..... Moderator
    Reputation: Bikin' Bric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,856
    Quote Originally Posted by Padi R
    I've been busy with the Mother's polish myself. BTW, are you sure that's not my Zaskar you've got there?

    If you still want to track down stickers, try here: http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/GTdecals/
    Nice work, our bikes could pass of as twins now hehehe
    Bikin' Bric's Bike Blog

    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fat Bike
    2016 Norco Torrent

  34. #34
    Nice day for a ride..... Moderator
    Reputation: Bikin' Bric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,856
    Quote Originally Posted by gunit
    I gotta say the old bike looks better than the new one As an added bonus you may have lost a pound or two by removing the paint. Now I think a ride report of the new build and some dirty pictures are in order.
    Dirty pictures? sorry my bike is a good girl and would never do that haha. It rides awesome, just like before the polishing process. Although I have been having some anger over the new Juicy 5 brakes....... friggin brakes. Some HFX-9's may be in order for her.
    Bikin' Bric's Bike Blog

    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fat Bike
    2016 Norco Torrent

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MISTER FUNKTASTIC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    26

    The Polished Avalanche :D

    Great job !!

    That's a sweet and sexy looking bike.

    It looks real close to my new Avalanche 1.0 2008 polished aluminum.

    MISTER FUNKTASTIC

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •