mtbr member

Please help me identify this frame.

Picked this up today. I think its a late 90's Avalanche, but could use some more precise input. Thanks.

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikenature View Post
    Picked this up today. I think its a late 90's Avalanche, but could use some more precise input. Thanks.

I believe your serial number tells us it was made in February of 2000 (the first two zeros and the 2 following it).

Bikepedia lists the 2000 Avalanche as coming in 7000 aluminum not the 7005 I see stamped on the rear triangle there. With the year nailed down, you should be able to go through the bikepedia entries for GT for 2000 and see what came in 7005 and narrow it down to a bike or three.

ISO: 22" GT Rebound frame, year 2000 model

mtbr member
    The 2000 Zaskar is the only one with 7005 tubing, but it looks like that frame has disc mounts. How confident are you on 2000 being the year?

mtbr member
    The 2000 Zaskar is the only one with 7005 tubing, but it looks like that frame has disc mounts. How confident are you on 2000 being the year?

Fairly. My knowledge is second hand, gleaned here, in this forum, from what a couple more knowledgeable posters have shared about deciphering GT serial numbers.

I wonder if it is possible it is basically a late '99 model Backwoods?

mtbr member
    I've had a few early 2000 post USA production GT frames and this seems much "beefier" if you will, which is what makes me think its a late 90's something...I am far from an expert when it comes to this stuff which is why I was hoping it would be a clear answer for someone on here. The person that I got it from claimed it was a late 90's avalanche also, but that doesn't hold any weight since he didn't seem certain.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Sneaker man
    Does the serial number actually designate the year on non US made frames?
    My thought on things to look at
    - it doesn't have a canti mount, so it is like later than say 97 or 98
    - it does have rack/fender mounts, so that makes it tumble down the ladder to somewhere near the bottom
    - find out what years had what replaceable dropout (1 bolt, 2 bolt etc).

To me it looks very late, but don't quote me on that.
    2003 Yeti ARC
    2008 GT Zaskar Reissue
    1996 GT Xizang
    2012 Cervelo R3

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    Does the serial number actually designate the year on non US made frames?
    My thought on things to look at
    - it doesn't have a canti mount, so it is like later than say 97 or 98
    - it does have rack/fender mounts, so that makes it tumble down the ladder to somewhere near the bottom
    - find out what years had what replaceable dropout (1 bolt, 2 bolt etc).

To me it looks very late, but don't quote me on that.
    I've seen several knowledgeable members here decipher GT serial numbers by year. Here's what I've been able to glean:

The first letter indicates the factory H = Hodaka which is in Taiwan, and there is also a T code, and probably some others.

Hodaka seems to just list the last digit of the year, so if you had H3####... it'd be a '93

The factory coded "T" appears to use a more traditional format, so T9110 ... for example was made in October of 1991.
    Is the serial number still legible? If so, what is the first digit should be a letter "H", "S", or other? If it's an H, GT had it built at Taiwan-Hodaka and they made most of the GT's from the Karakoram up in the line. If it's an S or maybe SF it was probably built by SanFa. Most of the 400 dollar and under models Timberline, Talera, Outpost and Outpost Trail were built there.

...built by Taioku, hence the "T" at the beginning.
    All 90's Zaskars had a flat end cap. If it's curved it's Tawian. The only Taiwan exception is the 92 Pantera which also had a flat end cap. If it's curved it's not necessarily an Avalanche either...it could be a Pantera, Backwoods or Tempest
    Note that the codes vary by factory, some being easier to intrepret than others, like this:
    T9012 A5 803 = It's a 1998.
    This quote from my notes about serial numbers may shed some light here:
    There was an Avalanche model and an Avalanche LE. The Avalanche was 7005 and Taiwan built the Avalanche LE was USA made and 6061. It's not that confusing and easy to see when you have the catalogs...
    Apologies for having not recorded the attributions when I cribbed these down to try and understand GT serial numbers!

FWIW, my girlfriends 1996 Pantera has the same rack/fender mount, I don't think that kind is as indicative of the bike being low on the totem pole as the braze-on ones like you'd find on the fork as well as at the rear.

mtbr member
    I've had a few early 2000 post USA production GT frames and this seems much "beefier" if you will, which is what makes me think its a late 90's something...I am far from an expert when it comes to this stuff which is why I was hoping it would be a clear answer for someone on here. The person that I got it from claimed it was a late 90's avalanche also, but that doesn't hold any weight since he didn't seem certain.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
    The era you are thinking of extends into 2000, and probably 2001 in my mind. IIRC, GT didn't implode until about then, and I expect it didn't affect some production right away, and probably a good chunk of the next years line up was little changed. I could be wrong, but my girlfriends 2000 Backwoods seems the same as the year before. Also why I am seeking a 2000 model Rebound, as it was the last year of certain features that make it the only intersection of exactly what I am looking for in a GT hardtail*.

* Old right triangle, aluminum, 22" frame, front suspension, 8 speed spacing

blog hogs
    Feb 2010
    2001 aggressor 1.0
    Ignore them till they go away.It's corporate policy.