mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Please help identify my Bike

I have a Ball burnished GT LTS frame that I can not identify. This frame has rear IS standard disc brake mounts (no v-brake mounts), integrated seat post clamp, Trunion Mount Rear suspension linkage. However the Serial # on the bottom bracket indicates it was manufactured in 1998 and is labeled XCR.

Serial #: 029800150 XCR 18

Anyone have any idea what the model of this bike is? What the stock components were? Has anyone seen one of these before?

I believe it may be an GT LTS XR 1000, however I haven't seen one of these with a dedicated disc rear end. There are no v-brake mounts on this frame

Please help identify my Bike-20140129_095644.jpgPlease help identify my Bike-20140129_095658.jpgPlease help identify my Bike-20140129_095724.jpg

mtbr member
    No idea but it doesn't look ball burnished to me. It looks like somebody stripped the paint..
    When you've seen someone rupture their scrotum on a bike you won't take the standards for top tube clearance lightly!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    It is ball burnished. I removed the old decals from it, and it still has the original decals on the seat stay.

Sneaker man
    well what did the decals you took say it was?
    Thing is it is quite common for people to take a lowly GT, strip the paint, re sticker it and try to flog it off as a high end ball burnished one for more money (not saying this is, just that it happens).

thing is, the serial number indicates 1998 and USA made (assuming it follows a similar pattern to zaskars), but in 1998 there was only one bike with the straight seat tube, the LTS 4000, and this is not one of those, so unless they kept making LTS 1's into 98 (the opposite of what they normally do), then... what the?

Need a more expert...paging GM1230126, he'll know
    2003 Yeti ARC
    2008 GT Zaskar Reissue
    1996 GT Xizang
    2012 Cervelo R3

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    well what did the decals you took say it was?
    Thing is it is quite common for people to take a lowly GT, strip the paint, re sticker it and try to flog it off as a high end ball burnished one for more money (not saying this is, just that it happens).

thing is, the serial number indicates 1998 and USA made (assuming it follows a similar pattern to zaskars), but in 1998 there was only one bike with the straight seat tube, the LTS 4000, and this is not one of those, so unless they kept making LTS 1's into 98 (the opposite of what they normally do), then... what the?

Need a more expert...paging GM1230126, he'll know

Understood. The decals I tool off were the originals, they were the old school black GT logos on the down tube, heavily aged and worn. It did not have any decals on the top tube to indicate model. I did just recently find a bike that sold on ebay that had a similar serial number. He claimed it was a LTS XR 1000. However his bike had vbrake mounts and disc mounts. Where as my bike is dedicated disc only.

Sneaker man
    Thats weird, no 98 should be disc only...even the very last of the models in 99 still had vbrake mounts on those DS models.
    Only thing I can think of is some sort of runout of the old style straight seat tube frames hence it didn't make the catalogues.

but maybe have a read through this thread may give up some info:

Everything Gt Lts
    2003 Yeti ARC
    2008 GT Zaskar Reissue
    1996 GT Xizang
    2012 Cervelo R3

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    Thats weird, no 98 should be disc only...even the very last of the models in 99 still had vbrake mounts on those DS models.
    Only thing I can think of is some sort of runout of the old style straight seat tube frames hence it didn't make the catalogues.

but maybe have a read through this thread may give up some info:

Everything Gt Lts
    I agree very strange indeed. It is a 98' frame design but as you said no 98's that I'm aware of were disc only. Not until 2000' were they disc only, the 99's came as disc but had the tabs for V brakes. Also the stamp that says XCR makes no sense either. This frame may have been a prototype with ideas from different years. The XCR name didn't come into play until 99' but that was for I-drives not LTS models.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Please help identify my Bike

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    I agree very strange indeed. It is a 98' frame design but as you said no 98's that I'm aware of were disc only. Not until 2000' were they disc only, the 99's came as disc but had the tabs for V brakes. Also the stamp that says XCR makes no sense either. This frame may have been a prototype with ideas from different years. The XCR name didn't come into play until 99' but that was for I-drives not LTS models.
    I do not think the 51mm IS was even confirmed until 2000.
    There where other specs before that that looked similar, including the 49mm Formula mount that also had a different axle to mount distance.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    so.....can you retrofit seat stays?...or other sections of older/newer lts's

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    I do not think the 51mm IS was even confirmed until 2000.
    There where other specs before that that looked similar, including the 49mm Formula mount that also had a different axle to mount distance.
    you are correct, I measured center to center and came up with 49mm.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Yes, very odd, I did however find another LTS that had recently sold on ebay (GT LTS XR 1000 Full XTR Groupset | eBay) that had a photo of the serial and it was also XCR and manufactured in 98. I believe there may have been a 1998 run of LTS's that were called LTS XR-1000's. A very limited number were made. However this still doesn't explain dedicated disc rear end. In another thread called "Everything LTS" on this forum, I member mentioned this XR-1000 being in some mountainbike magazine back in 1998 (Everything Gt Lts)

Quote Originally Posted by johntheroadie View Post
    Maybe someone can help me out a bit.

Didn't GT build a lightweight LTS in either 98 or 99? I remember because I had an issue of Mountain bike magazine in which they reviewed a full XTR speced LTS with Mavic crossmax wheels, Rock Shox SID, and Fox Alps rear shock. It was an aluminum modeled LTS that was a straight seat tube model and supposedly made out of an even lighter aluminum than the usual 6061 that they typically used (I remember because I think the reviewers said that they dented the top tubes when the brake levers accidentally hit them). It must have come out mid-season after all the catalogs went out, but from my sketchy memories, they called it something like "XCR-1000" or something like that... I can't find that old magazine because I probably threw it away, but the photos of the bike that I remember was that it had a blue rock shox SID on it and a bright green paint job. And it was a straight seat tubed bike, unlike the curved seat tubes that they started putting on the LTS models.

I've never seen one in my life, nor have I ever heard about it since. If anyone knows anything about it, I'd really appreciate it. I was just wondering, did it ever made it into production, or was just a one-off prototype? I'd love to have that bike in my collection!!

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by billslts View Post
    Yes, very odd, I did however find another LTS that had recently sold on ebay (GT LTS XR 1000 Full XTR Groupset | eBay) that had a photo of the serial and it was also XCR and manufactured in 98. I believe there may have been a 1998 run of LTS's that were called LTS XR-1000's. A very limited number were made. However this still doesn't explain dedicated disc rear end. In another thread called "Everything LTS" on this forum, I member mentioned this XR-1000 being in some mountainbike magazine back in 1998 (Everything Gt Lts)
    Huh pretty cool and you got me I don't remember a model like that.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden