mtbr member

Which pivot does most of the creaking?

On the Force, Which pivot does most of the creaking?
    The lower or the upper pivot?
    Just curious.

MTBR Member since 2001...
    Greetings,
    I have an '08 Force 3.0 that only has about 475 miles on it. It's a second bike that sat for years in a server room at work. I rode it every morning for a year and a half, then started working from home about 75% of the time. Tires and brakes are still original. It's seen it's share of dirt, but still looks brand new when you clean it up.

I starting riding it regulary again about 4 months ago. I tuned it and and everything works perfectly. Last weekend, I started to hear a creak on the power stroke during a longer ride. I figured it was the crank, so I took that apart and cleaned everything up. Greased and reassembled. She's still creaking, so I'm hunting for the cause now.

I know how to find creaks . Stand purpendicular to the bike, apply brake and lightly torque the frame with a foot on the pedal. The sound appears to be coming from the BB or pivots. I only spent about 5 minutes looking at it and didn't have someone else to help while I isolated the sound. I've cracked a frame before, but I'm not convinced this is a crack just yet. I ride hard, but don't abuse stuff. Then again, frames can fail even under light use. I haven't had the pivots apart and was hopeful your post would have received some responses. Plan to do a little more DX, then I'm going to take the pivots apart and regrease to see if this helps.
    Last edited by shadowsports; 08-16-2012 at 10:01 AM.
    '11 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    '08 GT Force 3
    Giant
    Moto
    Trek
    Others

mtbr member
    Sounds like the bb pivot
    I just tightened mine using this method
    I-Drive Pivot maintenance/repair
    Worked great!
    No creaking now , next want to get o rings per the updated post
    " I only Ride Enduro'

Reelchef67,
    Thanks for the reply and link. I anticipate the pivots being the culprit. I found the post about the rear dropouts as well, but the noise is coming from the center and not the rear of the bike. Will check it out later today. Thanks again!
    Last edited by shadowsports; 08-17-2012 at 07:23 AM.
    '08 GT Force 3
    Giant
    Moto
    Trek
    Others

Braugh Bro.
    Wrapping the pivot bearings in teflon tape has worked wonders for my 09 force and 06 ruckus.

mtbr member
    I did the pivots on my 08 and it solved the problem. Just took apart, cleaned it up and regreased really well with Philwood grease.
    When my 2011 force did the same I repeated the process and still had creaking and it sounded like it was coming from the BB. I then regreased the dropouts and solved the problem.
    thanks for the inputs.

mtbr member
    Still no one seems to know whick of the 2 pivots does the most creaking. Does everyone just regrease both pivots whenever they suspect pivots need regreasing? It would be nice not to have to do both if only one needs it.
    Thanks.

dochou,
    I'm heading to LBS now to get the BB tool for the pivot. I'm going to take both apart since it hasn't been done. A little grease is good thing. Hopefully someone here with chime in, but I suspect the lower pivot would be the primary culprit in most cases.
    '08 GT Force 3
    Giant
    Moto
    Trek
    Others

mtbr member
    If you are going to do it . Definitely use two BB tools and some sort threaded rod. Those pivots are easily damaged otherwise...
    " I only Ride Enduro'

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dochou View Post
    Still no one seems to know whick of the 2 pivots does the most creaking. Does everyone just regrease both pivots whenever they suspect pivots need regreasing? It would be nice not to have to do both if only one needs it.
    Thanks.
    I for one have found its the BB that is the culprit. Every time Ive had creaking..
    " I only Ride Enduro'

Hey Guys,
    I just finished servicing the pivots on my '08 Force.

First, Reelchef67 is absolutely correct. You need two BB tools to do this job right. I didn't bother with the rod, nuts and washers, but you need two tools. The upper pivot came loose with the tool on one side only. The lower pivot started to spin. This prompted another trip out for the second tool. I missed Reelchef's other post about needing two With both, it came apart easily. I used a smaller socket to knock them out as suggested, worked perfectly. I disconnected the rear shock here, and the bottom end of the dog bone.

Then I removed the split beveled washer and bearing assembly. They were caked with dirt like everyone else's. I degreased the pivot tubes and cleaned everything up. Wiped off the bearings gently and cleaned up the beveled washers. Then I swabbed the pivot tube edge with grease. I used Finishline Teflon. It's a white grease and holds up well against water. I pressed in the bearings, then greased up the back side of the split beveled washer and pushed that in. All of this can be done with your fingers. Nothing has to be pressed in/pulled out, etc.

I then applied a thin film of grease to the washer face and to the inner portions of the frame where it contacts the pivots, then slid everything back together. I then tapped the long sides of the pivot pins back in with a little grease applied around the bottom of the cone. This makes a good seal as it snugs up against the frame. Now the fun part. Tightening the pivot pin caps One went right on. I greased up the threads and cone. Once again, the second BB tools saved the day, allowing me to snug up the splined pivot pin and cap from both sides of each pivot. I think it's important to mention that you should ensure the pivot holes and frame remain completely straight and aligned during the final tightening process. Now I reconnected the dog bone and rear shock.

Finished up with the pivot retention washers and securing screws. Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions.

Dochou, now that I've done the job, I think I can say with a fair level of certainty that the lower pivot is the one that likely makes noise for the majority of people. Since you have to take the crank off to reach both pivots, they should both be serviced for consistency.

Rick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Which pivot does most of the creaking?-pivot-tube.jpg  

Which pivot does most of the creaking?-bev-washer_bearing.jpg  

Which pivot does most of the creaking?-washer-side.jpg  

Which pivot does most of the creaking?-split-wash-grease.jpg  

Which pivot does most of the creaking?-washer-face.jpg  

Which pivot does most of the creaking?-pivot-cap.jpg  

Last edited by shadowsports; 08-22-2012 at 08:36 AM.
    '08 GT Force 3
    Giant
    Moto
    Trek
    Others

mtbr member

Good job!

Thanks for the input.
    great info. I'll do both pivots when servicing... May as well keep both clean. It doesn't make sense to do just one.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Thanks for your creaking explanation shadow!
    2012 GT Force 2.0

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Nice pics of the reassembly. I'm doing mine right now and I have a question for folks who've done it: do you need to compress the split rings as you slide things back together or do they compress as you put it on?

Mine keep sliding out as I put linkage back on.

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by manbearfrink View Post
    Mine keep sliding out as I put linkage back on.
    They don't really compress. Throw a coating of grease on them and it will hold them in place as you reassemble.

While I thought my GT worked well, this thread reminds of how glad I am to have sold it. It would start creaking after only a couple of rides within a complete tear down service.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    I also just grease to hold washers in place while putting it back together.

mtbr member
    I recently rebuilt my pivots, and it still creaked. And creaked and got louder. I tracked it down to my rear dropouts and deraileur hanger. I wrapped the dropouts in teflon tape and greased them with lithium. They my bike is quiet now.
    I could have swore it was the pivots.