The Brutally Handsome

Picked up a Xizang

I posted this in the vintage forum, but I thought you guy's might have some better info. So, I just pulled the trigger on a Xizang, not sure if I paid a good price (750 seems a bit much) but it has a new Sid fork and full XTR. Frame is perfect and it rides so nicely that I just couldn't pass it up, too sweet! Here's a quick photo, I can get some more when it's light out. So . . . what you think, fair price?

BTW, how do you pronounce Xizang. Now that I own one, I should know how to pronounce it. And don't tell me it's something like "Zi-Wang" so that everyone laughs the next time I say it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picked up a Xizang-xizang.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Yeah i'd say $750 is pretty good.

Thats a Ti frame after all with vintage "900" XTR so yeah, i'd be pretty happy!

Xizang is a bit of a funny one, i've heard it pronounced in some very strange ways
    over the years. Zi-Wang is i new one tho, i like it!!!
    It's pronounced Siz-ang. So siz (as in sizzler) - ang (as in bang).

Enjoy ya new ride man!
    I'm Ron Burgundy?

Sneaker man
    form other thread... http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Xizang

she-zung or shhe-zahng

we always used to pronounce shezang as in shezam! but a zang instead if zam... (but hey i used to say ko-rack-o-ram!)

but either way damn fine bike...

The Brutally Handsome
    Thanks for the info guys, can't wait to get out and ride the she-zwang out of it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Nice bike!

None of my business I guess, but I hope the seat post is inserted enough not to damage the toptube/seat tube junction. That looks dangerously high to me. Also check to see if the steer tube is longer than the stem clamping area... Not much fun if the stem collapse on you. I have to say the bike looks a bit too small for you? But heck yeah you got a bargain.

The Brutally Handsome
    Thanks for the concern, but that was the previous owners length, the picture is off CL. Fits me great!!

Rubber Side Usually Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Sizzler
    BTW, how do you pronounce Xizang. Now that I own one, I should know how to pronounce it. And don't tell me it's something like "Zi-Wang" so that everyone laughs the next time I say it!
    Hmmm, I prefer 'Zanger' or 'The Zanger' unless you own more than one

Sometimes it is best not to know the true meaning of Xizang. It just sounds fast and would not be out of place in an episode of Superman or Batman Xizang - powwww !
    ----------------------------------------------------
    'Geez, I wish I had a witty signature'

blog hogs
    Feb 2010
    Nice bike,good deal.The frame will out live you.Only down side,no disc mounts.
    Ignore them till they go away.It's corporate policy.

The Brutally Handsome
    Here's an updated shot, swapped out most of the components with an XT drivetrain, and some Suntour XC Pro friction thumb shifters. I'm taking her out for her first trail ride tomorrow, I'll have to grab a few glamor shots!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picked up a Xizang-zwang.jpg  

The Brutally Handsome
    Here's a couple from the ride today, this thing is so sweet, I really recommend grabbing one if you get a chance, incredible handling and ride quality!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picked up a Xizang-zwang-2.jpg  

Picked up a Xizang-zwang-4.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    It's pronounced Shy-zang. Like Shazzzam!!!!!! but with a y sound.
    Last edited by gt jorgito; 03-29-2010 at 11:49 AM.
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    That is a huge tree! Oregon eh? Nice and green all year around? Looks like an awsome uphill there. Our trails are practically rivers and water falls right now since last week's snow is melting like crazy. And we're shooting for another storm when it finally dries out. I love spring in Colorado.

Lucky you, able to put on a 120mm (I measured your pic with a ruler) fork without messing up the geometry. M900 cranks got donated to someone else? What year was the frame anyway?

The Brutally Handsome
    Quote Originally Posted by hatake
    That is a huge tree! Oregon eh? Nice and green all year around? Looks like an awsome uphill there. Our trails are practically rivers and water falls right now since last week's snow is melting like crazy. And we're shooting for another storm when it finally dries out. I love spring in Colorado.

Lucky you, able to put on a 120mm (I measured your pic with a ruler) fork without messing up the geometry. M900 cranks got donated to someone else? What year was the frame anyway?
    Yes, the west side of the cascades stays pretty green and pretty wet all year. Here's a couple more pictures of big trees. Just for perspective, my buddy climbing the blowdown is 6'2"!

I had to remove the cranks because the XTR bottom bracket was all jacked up and I couldn't find a replacement in time for the ride. I'm not even sure I want to keep it, so if anyone's interested in a trade just shoot me a PM.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picked up a Xizang-zwang-3.jpg  

Picked up a Xizang-zwang-5.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Ugh! I just choked on my coffee. You can use UN71 or 75 with that - those should be fairly easy to come by. Got to be easier than finding a Zixang.

I have a fairly clean set of XT 737 (175mm) if you insist on downgrading it :-)