Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Doesntplaywellwithmorons!

For the Peace 9r owners suffering slipping seatpost syndrome...

the solution is to change to the actual seatpost size the seattube was sized for, which is 27.0... NOT the 26.8 size post they spec'ed with the bikes. I tried a variety of 26.8 posts figuring maybe just the stock supplied post was manufactured slightly too small but even precision made posts like Thomson would slip with the seatpost clamp seriously over-tightened. This weekend I switched to a 27.0 post... no more slippage.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Nice! I wonder why I never figured that out.
    I ended up using fiber prep instead of grease and it held alright.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Interesting.
    I ended up buying a Surly Constrictor seat clamp, which at $15 is still cheaper than a new post. It's holding tight.

If my seatpost is the wrong size, does that make it defective??

808+909 = Party Good Time
    I just tighten the seatpost with an allen key instead of the quick release and sprayed the tube with hairspray, no problems ever since. I'd be suprised if they spec'd it wrong for so long, 27.0 may just work for you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I measured the seattube clamp area as 29.8mm, but it was spec'd with a 30mm clamp. Replaced with Woodman Deathgrip 29.8mm seatpost clamp, no more problems. I think it was $10 or so from universalcycles

I measured the seattube ID as 27.0 myself... I'm sure the combination of the wrong clamp and wrong post explains why you basically need to resort to monster effort clamps distorting the seattube, or effectively bonding the tubes together to keep them in place.

As to continuiing to spec the wrong parts for so long.... this is a bicycle company we're talking about, not Boeing. They spec the parts they do because of what prices they got when ordering them. If using a slightly smaller post saved them thousands of dollars over the model run of the bike, they'd do it. On one GT road bike I setup at the store last year, I pulled this ridiculously short FSA out of the frame... like 200mm length post. It belonged basically on a TT bike or something where you didn't need much extension. Instead they put it in a series 3 road bike, size 56cm as I recall. Why? The usual reason is they got a lot of them cheap, so since they needed a 31.6 diameter, they didn't much care what length they used.

We often have to cut down the seatposts on the smaller MTB frame sizes because they ordered nothing but 400mm length seatposts for the model. But with the smaller size frames, you can't lower the seatpost far enough to fit all the riders the frame is designed for without smacking into the bottlecage bolts.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Mouth-Breather / Huffer

GT Peace 9r Multi Seatpost Slip

Count me as another GT Peace 9r Multi owner who loves his bike but hates the seatpost slippage.

I have my QR scary tight and still experience slippage. Unfortunately, I don't have calipers to effectively measure the ID and OD of the seatpost tube, so I'll have to try a couple of post/clamp combos to see how things work... or try the old Coke can shim method.

Thanks to GT_guy for pointing me to this thread!

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    Because I'm a clyde (and have already bent my $@#% seatpost), I've been looking at getting a Thomson seatpost - and I need a setback post. After looking at the Thomson website, the don't even appear to manufacture a setback post in 27mm/410mm flavor. Damn.

http://www.lhthomson.com/elite_sizes.asp

I'm willing to bet the 27.2mm post will be too big, huh?

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    Sorry to beat a dead horse, but...

I'm wondering whether anyone has successfully tried a 27.2mm seatpost? I don't have the proper tools to accurately measure the inner or outer diameter of my seat tube, nor do I have ready access to various sizes seatpost sizes to test.

Alternatively, since Thomson doesn't seem to have a 27.0mm setback seatpost, is there another manufacturer that produces a heavy-duty, clyde-worthy setback seatpost in 27.2mm?

Thanks!

EDIT:
    After searching the clyde section, here are a few posts that have been suggested as alternatives to the Thomson:

• Titec El Norte
    • Truvativ Team
    • Easton Vice
    • Easton Havoc

Anyone here have experience with any of these posts? Off to check which posts have a setback in 27mm flavor...
    Last edited by dog.gone; 05-07-2009 at 10:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I couldn't get a 27.2 to work. Got the Woodman 29.8mm clamp from www.universalcycles.com. and no problems since then. Way cheaper than a new post, solved the problem.

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldnslow
    I couldn't get a 27.2 to work. Got the Woodman 29.8mm clamp from www.universalcycles.com. and no problems since then. Way cheaper than a new post, solved the problem.
    Thanks Oldnslow. I use Universal Cycles extensively since they are in my hometown. They're a good group of enthusiasts who have been very helpful with every question and every transaction.

That being said, I finally got frustrated enough on my ride today that I stopped by the new LBS just a mile or so from my place. Phillip of Cayuse Cycles *really* helped me out.

Not only did he stop what he was doing to address my problem, he took the extra time to break out his digital calipers, measure the seat tube ID and OD *and* let me borrow a new Interloc clamp until the Thomson clamp is finally in stock. The new/borrowed clamp made all the difference.

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    Quote Originally Posted by dog.gone
    Thanks Oldnslow. I use Universal Cycles extensively since they are in my hometown. They're a good group of enthusiasts who have been very helpful with every question and every transaction.

That being said, I finally got frustrated enough on my ride today that I stopped by the new LBS just a mile or so from my place. Phillip of Cayuse Cycles *really* helped me out.

Not only did he stop what he was doing to address my problem, he took the extra time to break out his digital calipers, measure the seat tube ID and OD *and* let me borrow a new Interloc clamp until the Thomson clamp is finally in stock. The new/borrowed clamp made all the difference.
    I just wanted to follow-up on my solution:

The post has just enough length that I don't have to worry about the minimum insertion point and the Death Grip locks the post in place nicely. The extra setback was a nice bonus and has helped fine-tune my cockpit position.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Are you guys using Quick Release clamps or bolted clamps?

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    The Woodman Death Grip is a bolted clamp. Since upgrading the seatpost and seat clamp, I've had no further problems with slippage.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    OK. Thanks. According to your link, they do make a Quick Release version. Is the clamp fix more of a going to a bolt clamp or just getting a better fit clamp.

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    Yes, Woodman does make a QR version of the Death Grip. I went with the bolt on because I've never released it when doing any downhill actions and only needed a QR when trying to prevent someone from stealing my seat.

My LBS (Cayuse Cycles in West Linn, OR), measured the OD of the seatpost, as well as the ID and OD of the seat tube. In my particular case, it appeared that the seat tube was correct, but the seatpost was ever so slightly too small. The Race Face Diabolus, along with the Death Grip and a tiny bit of carbon paste have create a rock-solid fit for my 290# butt.

I hope that kinda answers your question. If not, just let me know.

mtbr member
    May 2009

GT Slipper

Measured seat tube diam. at 27.0, and changed the post accordingly with an Easton from CBO. Cost $15.00 (20% off until 5/31).

mtbr member
    I just wanted to follow-up on my solution:

The post has just enough length that I don't have to worry about the minimum insertion point and the Death Grip locks the post in place nicely. The extra setback was a nice bonus and has helped fine-tune my cockpit position.
    how on earth did you manage to get the 28.6mm seatclamp to fit? i bought one and all i suceeded in doing with it was to peel off some paint around the seat tube lip area

trying to find a 29.8mm seatpost clamp and a reasonable quality 27.0mm seatpost locally is proving to be a tad difficult, so will most likely have to bite the bullet and mail order one from the usa ... postage rates are so high even for ordering little bits!

would a 30.0mm work as well, just tightened a little bit more?

on the plus side, have managed to slow the slippage for now with a piece cut from a soda can, even though i broke the lever on the orignal seatpost binder ... have a bolt holding it tight at present, not pretty but works enough for a temporary fix ...

on the plus side, spent an awesome afternoon riding through the forest trails on sunday ... have a peace 9r multi set up as a 1x9
    "old enough to know better. too old to care."

Mouth-Breather / Huffer

29.8mm Woodman Death Grip for the Peace 9r

Quote Originally Posted by hoogie
    how on earth did you manage to get the 28.6mm seatclamp to fit? i bought one and all i suceeded in doing with it was to peel off some paint around the seat tube lip area
    Hoogie,

Funny you should ask that.

I spent much of the last week trying desperately to find a mysterious creak that I had been certain was my bottom bracket. Well, after replacing the bottom bracket, what do you know... the creak was still there.

So, in the process of tightening everything, I went ahead and tightened the bolts holding my seat and attempted to tighten the seat collar as well. Half a turn later, I stripped the whole thing. This time I ordered a 29.8mm Death Grip. Creak gone. Damn.

So, I apologize if my earlier solution mislead you. My LBS installed the 28.6mm seat collar by using spreaders. It worked fine for about a month with absolutely zero slippage of the seat post. Based on my recent experience, I think the 29.8mm collar is the right solution.

mtbr member
    Hoogie,

Funny you should ask that.

I spent much of the last week trying desperately to find a mysterious creak that I had been certain was my bottom bracket. Well, after replacing the bottom bracket, what do you know... the creak was still there.

So, in the process of tightening everything, I went ahead and tightened the bolts holding my seat and attempted to tighten the seat collar as well. Half a turn later, I stripped the whole thing. This time I ordered a 29.8mm Death Grip. Creak gone. Damn.

So, I apologize if my earlier solution mislead you. My LBS installed the 28.6mm seat collar by using spreaders. It worked fine for about a month with absolutely zero slippage of the seat post. Based on my recent experience, I think the 29.8mm collar is the right solution.
    gotcha ... that all makes sense now!

i tried to prize apart the 28.6mm clamp al little with a flat bladed screwdriver and i think all i achieved is nicking my palm [and scratching the seat tube] ...

had a quick squizzo at universal cycles ... their minimum shipping charge is USD$28 for international postage, even for a single solitary woodman death grip ... will try and see what i can get here before i resort to super-expensive measures! although, i could use it as an excuse to order more bits to make the postage worthwhile???

might also try a few other mail order stores to see if the rates are better ...

thanks for your help!

hoogie

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    Jenson had some in stock the other day (I price-matched the Jenson price @ Universal Cycles), but I don't know if their international shipping will be any less expensive.

What's usually the cheapest and/or most reliable shipping method to NZ from the US? UPS? FedEx? DHL? USPS?

mtbr member
    Jenson had some in stock the other day (I price-matched the Jenson price @ Universal Cycles), but I don't know if their international shipping will be any less expensive.

What's usually the cheapest and/or most reliable shipping method to NZ from the US? UPS? FedEx? DHL? USPS?
    dunno whats the cheapest option ... normally i have been getting a few bits and pieces through speedgoat or pricepoint ...

i'll make google do the work and have a hunt around, and have a look at jenson too
    i ordered some bits through performance a few years back but they were so slow in getting them sent out ...

off topic: nice kawasaki! have a triumph tiger myself

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    So, if you can't get a 29.8mm Woodman Death Grip shipped for a reasonable cost, let me know, as I ordered two - one from the LBS and one from Universal Cycles. I'm impatient that way. Anyhow, if you can figure out the cheapest shipping method (with insurance), I'd be happy to send it to you at cost. It's the least I can do given you took my earlier wayward advice.

As for motorcycles, yeah, I love my Kawasaki. So much, in fact, I sold all of my other vehicles and now commute exclusively by motorcycle year around. If only I could find a cheap but reliable way to transport my Peace 9r on the Kawasaki...

I love the Triumphs, too. I used to lust after a Speed Triple, but, alas, given my size, just about anything under 1200cc just looks kinda silly beneath me. I bet the Tiger is just about *THE* perfect bike for cruising NZ, isn't it?! I know several guys locally who love their Tigers.

mtbr member
    thanks for your kind offer ... i'll get back to you and let you know how i get on ...

no worries about the bum steer ... wasn't like it cost a heap

we love the tiger, it's a really comfortable tourer ... have got some givi luggage racks and panniers now, awesome!
    http://www.hoogie.co.nz/mbikes/rides_tours.htm [warning: in need of updating!]

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Hoogie, did a quick check on the US postal service website. $12.95 USD to New Zealand using priority mail large envelope which should work for a seatpost clamp. Delivery in 6-10 days. FYI, a little less using 1st class parcel post but "varies" is the delivery time estimate.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    FYI - the Surly Constrictor clamp I put on my bike was a 30.0
    Hasn't slipped a bit and I've been riding the 9r a lot.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    that is exactly what i had the bike shop do when i purchased my GT peace. it did fix it

mtbr member
    update: managed to get an alloy 27.0mm seatpost AND a 29.8mm clamp here in nz ... clamp is a dmr model and the seatpost is a no-name alloy one, but will see how they go ...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    update: managed to get an alloy 27.0mm seatpost AND a 29.8mm clamp here in nz ... clamp is a dmr model and the seatpost is a no-name alloy one, but will see how they go ...
    Hoogie

how did it turn out?
    i pulled my seatpost today to see how much wiggle room i would have, and there is a little. i am now shopping for a zero offset 27mm seatpost and a new clamp since mine is on the edge from over tightening .....

Laurence

mtbr member

We the people ...

Quote Originally Posted by LGSCHMIDTJR
    Hoogie

how did it turn out?
    i pulled my seatpost today to see how much wiggle room i would have, and there is a little. i am now shopping for a zero offset 27mm seatpost and a new clamp since mine is on the edge from over tightening .....

Laurence
    hi laurence,

haven't got the bits as yet ... will let you know once i get them installed and tested

although, the modified stock clamp and the bit of soda can shim seem to be holding at present, not flash but working ...
    i was tightening the stock clamp with an allen key to try and gt i treally tight, then to undo it i tried to twist the lever and broke the lever ... in the interim i put a couple of nuts in place of the lever for now ...

hoogie

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Hoogie

same here.... i have been tightening mine with an allen wrench and now the quick release isn't working smoothly.

i may take the bike to performance soon and have them measure the ID on my seat tube before i pull the trigger on a 27mm seatpost. like i said earlier when i pulled the post today there is some wiggle room so the 27mm post may be the answer.

i am now searching the internet for 27mm posts....

thanks again and keep us posted.

Laurence

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have been looking for a 0 offset 27.0m seatpost and came across this, and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this company?

http://www.setteusa.com/show.php/Par...white_seatpost

Laurence

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    I have been looking for a 0 offset 27.0m seatpost and came across this, and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this company?

http://www.setteusa.com/show.php/Par...white_seatpost

Laurence

Sette seems to sell primarily - if not exclusively - via Pricepoint.com. I don't have experience with their components, but I have a pair of mtb shoes from Sette that are pretty darn good - and inexpensive. MTBR members also seem quite happy with the Sette Razzo 29er frame. Not a direct answer to your question, so it could be a YMMV thing.
    panem et circenses

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    i may take the bike to performance soon and have them measure the ID on my seat tube before i pull the trigger on a 27mm seatpost. like i said earlier when i pulled the post today there is some wiggle room so the 27mm post may be the answer.
    You should check with Performance first. This really should be a warranty thing. Didn't another Peace owner get a new seat collar under warranty from Performance?
    panem et circenses

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    we love the tiger, it's a really comfortable tourer ... have got some givi luggage racks and panniers now, awesome!
    http://www.hoogie.co.nz/mbikes/rides_tours.htm [warning: in need of updating!]
    BTW...great pics of you and your Tiger! Thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by dog.gone; 07-09-2009 at 04:24 PM.
    panem et circenses

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    You should check with Performance first. This really should be a warranty thing. Didn't another Peace owner get a new seat collar under warranty from Performance?
    i think i remember someone mentioning that, and when my post arrives i will check with performance and inquire about a clamp.

additionally, before buying the post i googled sette and there seems to be the same opinions as what you mentioned. mtbr reviewed the post and it was something like a 4.15 out of 5 so i am hoping it fits and looks good with the white frame.

thank you
    laurence

mtbr member
    BTW...great pics of you and your Tiger! Thanks for sharing.
    hey thanks for that! is there any coincidence the gt and the tiger are similar blues???

further update: bikestore emailed to say the bits i had ordered have turned up, i doubled checked and they had mistakenly ordered a 27.2mm seatpost arrrgggghhhh!
    they are currently sorting it out ... only got it from them as i was ordering a rear deraileur that they had for sale way cheaper than anywhere i had seen ... upgrading/changing the shifter/rear deraileur from the stock deore to x.7 shifter/x.9 shortcage deraileur ... should be here mid-week now <sigh>

the current bodge/fix seems to be holding though, rode the bike on some rough trails yesterday and it didn't feel like the seatpost had slipped any ...

will update again shortly ...

will post a pic of my setup on the gt peace 29er thread ...

cheers,
    hoogie

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Just to add my experience with this issue:

I could not get the quick release tight enough to prevent slippage, either with the original seatpost or with a skinnier Thudbuster ST (25.4) using a shim that went from 25.4 to 26.8. So I got a 30.0 Surly Constrictor. This helped, but I still got some slippage, even with more torque applied than should be necessary IME. Finally, since I was already using a shim with the skinny Thudbuster, I just got another shim (for $9) that went to 27.0, and this appears to have solved the problem for me.

Alright so I am about to buy a new post and I can get 26.8 or 27.0... the consensus seems to be that 27.0 will fix my problem? Would that be the case?

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    In terms of consensus, I would concur with your assessment. I appear to be an anomaly by sticking with the stock seatpost size (but a different seatpost) and simply changing clamps.
    panem et circenses

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by chumbox
    Alright so I am about to buy a new post and I can get 26.8 or 27.0... the consensus seems to be that 27.0 will fix my problem? Would that be the case?
    +1
    i just recieved my 27.0m seatpost from pricepoint and i hope to get around to installing it this weekend.

Laurence

P.S. i hope it fits........
    99 GT XCR 4000
    07 GT Peace 9er

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I just replaced the collar/clamp on mine. 10 bucks, problem solved.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I just got back from Performance and had my seat tube measured,and it came out to 27m, so i will be using my Sette 27m seatpost,and I ordered a blue Woodman QR in 29.8m They could not get a bolt on 29.8......

The guys at Performance were really helpful. Additionally, I saw a new geared Peace 9er and I pulled the seatpost to check out the size and it has a 27.2m seatpost. I even tried it in my bike and it was't going to happen.

Furthermore, the mechanic was letting me use his tools and when i re-installed my post and clamp the clamp finally went south I knew it was on the edge, and i am glad i did not ride there

Laurence
    99 GT XCR 4000
    07 GT Peace 9er

mtbr member
    update: got my 27.0mm seatpost and new seatcollar finally! the seatpost went straight in and the collar tightened up nicely ... everything feels secure, but will give it a test tomorrow ...

seatpost was a no setback model which i didn't realise ... was easier to set up once installed, but might take a little bit to get the seat to bars distance sorted over a few rides ...
    was told the seatcollar was 29.8mm, but the packing slip says it is 30.0mm ...
    moral of the story: sometimes mailorder works and sometimes it doesn't ...

edit: have completed a few rides [commutes] on it and so far all is good ... seems to be working ok ...

update edit: 24.07.09 ... have been out on some rocky and rough trails and all seems to be holding up well ...
    Last edited by hoogie; 07-23-2009 at 09:49 PM.

Ebay, just stick 27.0 into a search in the cycling section. All that should come up are posts and maybe 1" headsets (they come in 26.4 and 27.0 fork crown race varieties). As to clydesdale posts with setback... Kalloy Alloy or 4130 posts... in Thomson's famed seatpost
    testing a decade ago, the I think 4th strongest post was a Kalloy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I had ordered a Sette 27.0m then read in another section that Jenson had a killer deal on Thompsons so I ordered one and hopefully it will be in next week if they did not run out.....

if anyone is interested in a white 0 offset 27m sette seatpost just let me know.

Laurence
    99 GT XCR 4000
    07 GT Peace 9er

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    Ebay, just stick 27.0 into a search in the cycling section. All that should come up are posts and maybe 1" headsets (they come in 26.4 and 27.0 fork crown race varieties).
    bugger, now why didn't i think of that?

after many rides commuting and off road, i can say that all is good with the new seatpost setup ...

I had ordered a Sette 27.0m then read in another section that Jenson had a killer deal on Thompsons so I ordered one and hopefully it will be in next week if they did not run out.....

if anyone is interested in a white 0 offset 27m sette seatpost just let me know.

Laurence
    Hey did you read that in the Aussie forum cos I posted it there after I bought one of those Thomsons...

I meant to write it here. I got a 27.0mm in silver which is discontinued from Jenson for $80AUD incl postage. They are 50% off I think. Took a little bit of grease and it's a tightish fit but it went in fine and the post hasn't slipped since... apart from the fact it looks uber awesome.

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice.

Peace 9r Ownr
    Just joined the slippage crowd. Broke stock clamp today, posted a thread in "29ers" then found this thread which explains everything I need to know...oops.

Took my broken clamp to performance and they came up with 30mm. None available, they kept it and said they would call me...might be awhile. So it seems 27mm seat post replacement/ new clamp is best solution. Good to know.

Update Edit: Looks like a 27.0 seatpost $23 (Kalloy, cheapy?) plus 29.8 woodman clamp $14 for just under $50...Is there any reason to spend more on a seatpost? I figure weight governs price, but what else gives? If I can replace just the clamp I would be happy.

Update Edit 2: Do you guys think a 30mm Salsa Lip lock would work w/ stock seat post given there is no 29.8 listed on universal?
    Last edited by LocoKhan; 08-06-2009 at 06:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by LocoKhan
    Update Edit 2: Do you guys think a 30mm Salsa Lip lock would work w/ stock seat post given there is no 29.8 listed on universal?
    Definitely. I put a 30.0 Surly clamp on with the stock post and no slips.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast