Disabled Vet

New question here. peace 9er owners-?s

in the market,and am researching several brands of similarly priced/spec'd bikes.

1st,where can you get em?price?are you happy w/ yours?components?upgrades?problems?opinions?pics?

thanx in advance!
    '96 Specialized Hard Rock
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '13 On One Inbred
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I purchased a Peace 9er Single Speed from my local GT dealer this spring. I think I paid $550 for it, don't remember for sure. I do think it was about 10% off of msrp. I have not ridden the bike that much as of yet, but I do like how it rides. I have ridden it mostly on bike paths around town, and not taken it off road as of yet. I think for the $ it is a good buy. I have not ridden the geared bike as of yet. I think that Performance bike shops carry the line, if your LBS does not offer GT. Good luck

Disabled Vet
    kool,thanx for the thoughts.
    i think i have a performance bicycle catalog somewhere,i'll look for it to get their web address
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '13 On One Inbred
    '14 Surly Troll

Disabled Vet

Good job!

while i feel this bike is a smokin deal for the monies,my budget looks to be a little larger than i thought it wuz gunna be.so,unless somethin unforseen sneaks in and steals my cash (in which case it'll be the gt,or another monocog-mines a 26er),i've decided i may get 2 ,1 budget SS,1 budget gearie
    Last edited by longhaultrucker; 05-24-2008 at 08:50 PM.
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '13 On One Inbred
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Anybody tried the 2008 Peace 9r Multi (geared version) yet? Price is "$799". Has disc brakes, rigid fork. Nice paint job. http://www.gtbicycles.com/usa/eng/Pr...ard-Tail/#2698

mtbr member
    Yeah, I love that thing. I can just see it with a nicer seatpost and seat and a REBA 29'er fork. Maybe next year.

Disabled Vet
    looks sweet .but one could get a redline D440 gearie for $550 (granted it's a 1x8,and has anemic tektro v-brakes).wonder how they compare?
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '13 On One Inbred
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    The 9r Multi is the bike that could get me to take the 29er plunge. Only problem is I can't find one (or a GT mtb dealer) within 100 miles of where I live.
    Guess my only hopes are ebay and maybe they'll show up in Perfomance catalogs.
    Would be really nice to be able to try one for size though....

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Keep in Mind the Seatpost is 26.8mm Diameter...

Quote Originally Posted by Sweeney
    Yeah, I love that thing. I can just see it with a nicer seatpost and seat and a REBA 29'er fork. Maybe next year.
    These days, not many aftermarket seatpost come in 26.8mm diameter, well at least the ones that are nice enough to worth it to upgrade over the stock.

Seatpost diameter is 26.8mm because, by nature, ChroMoly tubing is thinner & smaller than aluminum ones for bicycle applications.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    I was gonna get one but once again GT's canadian distributor turn out to be real phucking morons. Apparently, they didn't bother bring ANY large size peace 9r multi's in this year, because no shops bothered to book any to order pre-season. The whole point to a 29er is it fits TALLER riders better... and that most of us would want the large size.... but nope... couldn't be bothered. Bad enough they brought in ZERO zaskar models, only 3 FS models (at the 3.0 level only), and only the avalanche up to the 1.0.... but now the one model they do list in the catalog as being available in a large, and there were never any imported to canada this year. ARGH.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    ''These days, not many aftermarket seatpost come in 26.8mm diameter, well at least the ones that are nice enough to worth it to upgrade over the stock''

Years ago I had a 26.8 Easton Carbon seatpost on my Quintana Roo Kilo tri bike, it might still be available. Thompson, there is nothing nicer, is definitely available in a 26.8. I couldn't get a Peace right now, there is no room in the garage, but I sure would like to.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweeney
    'Thompson, there is nothing nicer, is definitely available in a 26.8.
    Oh, I didn't know this, I had assumed wrong. The online shop that I frequent just didn't carry 26.8mm but every other size of Thomsons, perhaps they don't move them much. I checked, and it's available at Speedgoat.

Another for Thomson.

808+909 = Party Good Time
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    The whole point to a 29er is it fits TALLER riders better... and that most of us would want the large size....
    I don't want to start a whole different topic but if you head over to the 29er forum you will soon realise 29ers were not designed to fit tall riders, they were designed for a hundred other reasons. There is people riding 16" and less 29ers because they are just awesome bikes.

By the way I ride an 18" so I guess I'm too small for my 29er.

Quote Originally Posted by Astroboy
    Oh, I didn't know this, I had assumed wrong. The online shop that I frequent just didn't carry 26.8mm but every other size of Thomsons, perhaps they don't move them much. I checked, and it's available at Speedgoat.

Another for Thomson.
    +1 to this...

And for anyone thinking of getting a Peace 9r, it's the best bike in its price bracket for sure.

mtbr member
    I'm picking up a 1/2 built 2008 GT 9r this weekend. Looking forward to starting the build. Had the opportunity to ride a couple of 29er at the LBS and am smitten.

This is gonna be fun.

mtbr member
    Just picked it up. $265 for a large burgundy frame with Hutchinson Pythons on Salsa Delgados (w/salsa skewers!) included hb's stem headset and seatpost. Also has a 17t 19t freewheel already....

I'll have more when I get my parts and some pics.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    I bought the medium anyways, and I'll rephrase....ONE of the points to 29ers is it fits tall riders better than it does short riders... oh you can squeeze someone under 5'6 onto one, but you have to make compromises in geometry, tire clearance and so forth to do it. That's one of the reasons why 650B has taken off for mountain bikes so much faster than 29ers did. Back to the medium size, my rasta annodized Kooka stem I was going to be putting on regardless is a 120mm. That's 15mm longer than the large size Peace 9r comes with so will make up most of the difference in TT length.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    posted the new build in the 29er thread:
    2008 GT Peace 9r Build