Chamois Dropper

Outpost Trail or Palomar for a beater build?

I just acquired (for free) an old Palomar that is pretty complete and needs tlc but works. I tore down my Outpost that I bought new in 1992 to rebuild it but got side tracked. The bikes seem really similar, almost identical. I just want to put together a cheap beater spare. I'm leaning towards putting the palomar parts on the outpost. The outpost looks slightly better and is sentimental. Is one or the other a better frame?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Outpost Trail or Palomar for a beater build?-014.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    looks like the palomar is a 1 1/8 and the outpost is a 1 in. headset. I like the two color palomar but they are both nice.
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.

Chamois Dropper
    Quote Originally Posted by gt jorgito View Post
    looks like the palomar is a 1 1/8 and the outpost is a 1 in. headset. I like the two color palomar but they are both nice.
    Thanks, I didn't catch that. Looks like its going to be the Outpost I've had that bike for 20 years and I think I should keep it around. The palomar is pretty rusty...another day maybe. I realized I had enough parts laying around the shop to get a good start, anyway. I am upgrading my wife's bike to X7 stuff so I'll take her X5 for the outpost. Something to mess with, keeps me out of the bars lol. By the way, gt jorgito where did you get that sweet wing decal on the down tube of your Force? Did it come with it? I can't find one anywhere...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Outpost Trail or Palomar for a beater build?-016.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I visited the Madison, Wi. Headquarters before they moved to the northeast and they gave me a bunch of stickers. They had never had someone ask for the HQ tour. I was first and last tour. LOL! I met some great people there. I'll check my stash and see if I have one for ya.
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.

Chamois Dropper
    Got the old outpost back up and running. Still need a few parts, some new brakes would be good and a nice saddle . Also a front derailleur tube adapter. I didn't spent a dime on this build, just pieced it together from stuff I've upgraded on other bikes. Still need to disassemble again, clean everything and service the headset etc.I haven't ridden the bike in years but took her out for a test run between showers from the tropical storm. And that is the original 1993 GT bottle I got with the bike. How I've managed to keep it all these years, I have no idea.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Outpost Trail or Palomar for a beater build?-015.jpg  

Outpost Trail or Palomar for a beater build?-016.jpg  

2008 GT Force
    Go Veg

MrQ
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    What kind of tires you got there?

Chamois Dropper
    They are Maxxis Hookworms. 2.5" They look cool, but to say they are heavy is and understatement. I Have finally got this bike done, ( the above pic is a mock- up. ) I'll post some pics soon, it's on my trainer at the moment.
    2008 GT Force
    Go Veg