Thread: Other GT bikes?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Other GT bikes?

Does anyone here have a GT road bike or pay attention to the road bike culture? I'm interested in gettin one but am a total noob to road bikes. Can anyone give a little insight? I certainly don't need a high dollar rig, just something that's expensive enough to not be a pile of garbage.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Eh, I think you're kind of on the wrong site. I'd imagine the vast majority of guys here ride MTBs. Try checking out some road bike-specific site forums (I don't know of any since I don't ride road.......yet).

blog hogs
    Feb 2010
    Rbr has no GT forum,nor does any road site Ive ever seen.
    I have a 2011 GTr-1.It's really stiff,but fast.(that's the trade off)
    Be carefull if you live in the US.Bikes are often downgraded from what all the other contries get.IE mine came with Sram rival instead of shimano ultegra.So make sure of the specs before you buy.
    Ignore them till they go away.It's corporate policy.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisingrassia View Post
    Eh, I think you're kind of on the wrong site. I'd imagine the vast majority of guys here ride MTBs. Try checking out some road bike-specific site forums (I don't know of any since I don't ride road.......yet).
    Actually, there lots of people here that do both. Couldn't tell you how many but it would not surprise me if it is half or even more of the members.

I have an old rigid mtb with road tires that I ride on the road occasionally and have been looking at getting an actual road bike myself. I think GT road bikes are a good choice for a budget person looking for a decent road rig.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

Sneaker man
    yeah, if you look at the "post your gt here" thread, you'll find loads of road bikes.

The older bikes, mid to late 90's, were all pretty good (mmm Edge Ti anyone) with plenty of team bikes and road zaskars.
    the recent bikes have been good too, but I think the current crop seem to be on the more budget side of things, good entry level stuff.
    2003 Yeti ARC
    2008 GT Zaskar Reissue
    1996 GT Xizang
    2012 Cervelo R3

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks for he replies everyone. I think I'm gonna start scouring craigslist for a GT roadie

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I had one of their road bikes in carbon. I had the GTR Pro from 2009, a GT ZR 1.0 from 2001 in aluminum. Their road bikes are stiff but not suffering stiff. If you can find a GT carbon from 2009 and on you will be very surprised on how amazing they are. My GTR Pro weighed just over 17lbs with an Ultegra group set. Your power will definitely be transferred to your pedals they hardly have any flex. Their road bikes are not as sought after as their mountain bikes so there's a chance you can find a great price. Best of luck bro.
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.

mtbr member
    The new GT Corsa Disc looks great. Columbus tubing steel CX bike with full carbon fork and disc brakes. I can't wait to check that one out in the fall.
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I saw that one & it does look nice but I can't justify buying a used road bike. It's gonna be a Craigslist or eBay special until I grow out of it. And that may be never, I just need something that's a bit better around town than my avalanche