Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 27 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 LastLast
    mtbr member
    You get an oh **** from me, LOL. Thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by mcseforsale View Post
    Guys....stop buying first-gen iDrive bearing kits from ebay until I figure out what's going on. I purchased a set a couple of weeks ago and after installing them, I noticed some peculiarities in their manufacture. First, after installing them, notice that the lock ring was NO LONGER FLUSH WITH THE I-DRIVE ECCENTRIC. This is a big deal and begins the sleuthing that I went through. If your new bearings make you install your lock bolts like this, or if they fit incorrectly, despite the fact that they outwardly look the same as the factory bearings with the TH Industries logo and Pat number I'll be putting up a thread that you'll want to read.:

Your lock-bolt should look like this:

I'll create a new thread when I have more information from the seller.

AJ

mtbr member
    Has anyone heard about predators attacking people on the trails? National Geographic, Animal Planet and Discovery Channel stated big wild cats are starting to migrate to civilization attacking people on trails.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by thrill23 View Post
    Has anyone heard about predators attacking people on the trails? National Geographic, Animal Planet and Discovery Channel stated big wild cats are starting to migrate to civilization attacking people on trails.
    Huh!
    Is this only happening to riders on vintage i-drives.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Folks,

Any one know the values for/of leverage of our I-drive frames suspension?

Pocket Pool Savant
    Only thing that I've ever been chased by was a wild Tom turkey. Damn thing was HUGE and wanted me dead. I think I got between him and his hens...man, that thing chased me for about 1/2 mile.

AJ
    "Stop smirking. It's irritating" - Judge Judy

Front Range, Colorado
    Only thing that I've ever been chased by was a wild Tom turkey. Damn thing was HUGE and wanted me dead. I think I got between him and his hens...man, that thing chased me for about 1/2 mile.

AJ
    And you ride a vintage i-drive case solved.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

Pocket Pool Savant
    For some reason 4.5:1 seems to ring a bell.

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by jalves View Post
    Folks,

Any one know the values for/of leverage of our I-drive frames suspension?

Pocket Pool Savant
    OK, so back to the refund. I got the refund today. I'm not saying that this was intentional, but I'll let the facts speak. For all of you who purchased the iDrive early TH Industries stamped cups, be VERY wary.

AJ

Pocket Pool Savant
    As for wild animals, IIRC, about 10 years ago, a member on this site was involved in a mt. lion attack either in Cali or North of that. There was a big hullabaloo about what to carry, what to do, etc.

AJ

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    For some reason 4.5:1 seems to ring a bell.

AJ
    AJ, 4.5:1 in centimetres?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    AJ,

Can we know more about de conversation you had with the bearings vendor, namely the reasons he advance for the "incomplete" bearings?

For you folks in the US, is it difficult to source the missing parts in the bearings?

Pocket Pool Savant
    Here's the email chain starting from first to last...

Sent Date: Jul-19-14 19:35:28 PDT
    Dear VENDOR,

I recently purchased the TH Industries Early GT I Drive Eccentric Cup Seal and Bearing kit and I have some significant issues with it. First, the bearing retainers are 2 different diameters. I realized why this was when I started inspecting the cups with my micrometer and calipers after the installation looked very wrong. Most notably, the original cups have a hardened race pressed into them..probably cryogenically. Yours do not. After a quick trip around the block, the cups already show wear because the bearings are basically running against non-hardened surfaces. As well, I noticed that some of the machining was off ever so slightly. Being a machinist myself, these were things I realized right away. Either these were not completed at the factory, or they are the cups from a different set. Please advise me as to how we can rectify this.

If you require photos, I can provide them.

Thanks,
    AJ

Sent Date: Jul-20-14 11:28:14 PDT

Dear mcseforsale,

Hi , GT used 2 different styles, one of them was from TH industries and one style was stamped GT. Did your old ones have GT on them or TH Industries Thanks.

- VENDOR

Sent Date: Jul-20-14 12:10:16 PDT

Dear VENDOR,

Being an '01 GT iDrive 4.0, my bike uses the TH Industries USA Pat stamped cups. The problem is that the cups you're selling don't have the heat-treated steel race pressed into the cups, which were in the TH Industries stamped cups. I've replaced cups on this bike 4 times since new and I've kept all of the used ones and all have heat-treated steel races pressed into them.

Incidentally, I also have a set of GT printed cups and those have heat-treated steel races pressed into them as well, although they fit the GT iDrive 1.0 and 2.0 frames from the same year. I have contacted several other riders who have these cups and theirs are missing the heat-treated races as well. If you require pictures, I can provide them.

Thanks,
    AJ

Dear mcseforsale,

Hi, please return to:

Dude Duderson
    517 Dude Road
    DudeVille, MN

for a refund thanks.

- VENDOR

AJ,

Can we know more about de conversation you had with the bearings vendor, namely the reasons he advance for the "incomplete" bearings?

For you folks in the US, is it difficult to source the missing parts in the bearings?

Pocket Pool Savant
    Jalves,
    Actually, it is more difficult to find the bearings here since the iDrive was carried on in Europe longer than here. The last time I was able to source the correct bearings (that actually were the REAL ones) was about 6 years ago.

The GT printed bearings are fairly easy to come by, but they don't fit the 2001 that I have. The closest shop I can find that has any parts is in England:

GT i Drive Spares : Mountain bikes and componets by BETD Goldtec

AJ

AJ,

Pocket Pool Savant
    No, that's the leverage ratio, meaning that for every inch of shock travel, the actual wheel moves 4.5 times that. The iDrive is roughly a 4.5" travel without sag, so that would make sense. So with that in mind:

The shock should be 6.5" eye to eye with a 1.5" stroke.

Or 165mm x 38mm

AJ, 4.5:1 in centimetres?

Pocket Pool Savant
    Here's a great thread that I was watching years ago. I ended upgrading to a Fox Vanilla R since the iDrive is designed with a platform built in, so having a lockout or platform wouldn't be any gain.

Rear shock upgrade (on GT iDrive)

AJ

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I read that thread some (long) time ago.

If I have the time, I will measure the wheel displacement allowed by the idrive system of my bike, but I seem to remember that it was 4'' (or 10cm).

Thus I think 4.5'':1'' can be to optimistic...

Pocket Pool Savant
    I seem to recall that the claimed travel was 4.5" or ~115mm. But we all know about claimed stuff.

4" would make sense allowing for sag since sag should be set at about 10-15% travel, which would be about 15-20mm. Travel is mistakenly claimed without the sag built in when they do their press. The iDrive, like any other suspension systems...bike or otherwise, require negative travel (sag) in order to work properly.

But when measuring shocks, I think they have to rely on the entire travel.

On our bikes, the sag is set one of 2 ways. My bike came with a sag measuring tool that fits in the shock bolts when sitting on the bike. The text reads 155mm so, you're sagging about 10mm for proper preload.

There's also an "eyeball gauge" stamped in the forging of the 3.0+ frames. Essentially, the vertical rib in the forging should line up with the iDrive ball. See the arrows. It's not scienturgic, but it's good for on the trail settings within a few mm or so.

This is something I noticed when I was working on it just recently. Even though I've had the bike since 2001. Go figure.

AJ

I read that thread some (long) time ago.

If I have the time, I will measure the wheel displacement allowed by the idrive system of my bike, but I seem to remember that it was 4'' (or 10cm).

Thus I think 4.5'':1'' can be to optimistic...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

i-Drive 4.0

This is my second i-Drive. First was a 5.0 so a slight improvement here :-) It has been kept in excellent condition and has some original Rock Shox Judy suspension, which have been professionally painted, along with plenty of other upgrades. I love it. What do you make of the Sweetskinz tyres? Rate or Hate? I'm going with Blue Panaracer anyway as these are just a novelty!

Original i-Drive riders still out there?-20140813_112145.jpgOriginal i-Drive riders still out there?-20140813_112217.jpgOriginal i-Drive riders still out there?-20140813_112259.jpg

Pocket Pool Savant
    Love that frame . I always like the sweetskinz as a novelty. You need a longer seat post. You should have a little post visible below the bottom of the seat mast.

Otherwise, very sweet ride. And, I should know

AJ

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Awesome :-) Think I'd better get a new post as this is the right height for me, the person I bought it off must have been a little shorter as I raised it a touch. It's only a stock GT post too so upgrade is a must

Front Range, Colorado
    1 week ago

Just a reminder of how long it's been since someone posted her.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member

Year: 2001 Gt idrive TEAM modernized!

AJ, I finally finished the $400.00 paint job on my GT Team idrive MTB. Description: Red Front and Rear, Black fades into body with charcoal grey. The old colors were yellow tips with blue body. I stayed true to GT idrive team model. I could not find the decals, so I bought a custom GT decal from London, painted the idrive Team, and bought a Easton decal like the original. In my opinion the bike looks like a bad ass I-drive team version. What do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Original i-Drive riders still out there?-20140519_121509.jpg  

Original i-Drive riders still out there?-img_1152.jpg  

Original i-Drive riders still out there?-sand-gt-mtb.jpg  

Original i-Drive riders still out there?-img_9579.jpg  

Original i-Drive riders still out there?-imagejpeg_0.jpg  

Original i-Drive riders still out there?-gt-bike.jpg  

Original i-Drive riders still out there?-gt-bike-1.jpg  

Huckin' trails

Original i-Drive riders still out there?

That's a sweet ass paint job buddy ^^

Great work
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member

2001 GT idrive Team

Thanks David,

I wanted to modernize my bike, but stay classic to the team idrive original paint appearance. That way if anyone made an offer they would feel like they got the upgrade version of GT idrive team. I currently have it at bike shop getting Shimano XT and XTR part installed. I can't wait to hit the trails. I will update when bike is complete.

Best regards,

William.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Original i-Drive riders still out there?-20140825_120517.jpg  

Original i-Drive riders still out there?-20140825_120553.jpg  

mtbr member

oooooooh ****, almost complete..... Bike tech just sent me some pics.

Update.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Original i-Drive riders still out there?-la-foto-3-2.jpg  

Original i-Drive riders still out there?-la-foto-1-2.jpg  

Original i-Drive riders still out there?-la-foto-1-1.jpg  

Original i-Drive riders still out there?-la-foto-5-1.jpg  

Last edited by thrill23; 08-25-2014 at 04:34 PM. Reason: I want to delete, but I do not see the option

Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 27 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 LastLast