Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 LastLast
    mtbr member
    You get an oh **** from me, LOL. Thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by mcseforsale View Post
    Guys....stop buying first-gen iDrive bearing kits from ebay until I figure out what's going on. I purchased a set a couple of weeks ago and after installing them, I noticed some peculiarities in their manufacture. First, after installing them, notice that the lock ring was NO LONGER FLUSH WITH THE I-DRIVE ECCENTRIC. This is a big deal and begins the sleuthing that I went through. If your new bearings make you install your lock bolts like this, or if they fit incorrectly, despite the fact that they outwardly look the same as the factory bearings with the TH Industries logo and Pat number I'll be putting up a thread that you'll want to read.:

Your lock-bolt should look like this:

I'll create a new thread when I have more information from the seller.

AJ

mtbr member
    Has anyone heard about predators attacking people on the trails? National Geographic, Animal Planet and Discovery Channel stated big wild cats are starting to migrate to civilization attacking people on trails.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by thrill23 View Post
    Has anyone heard about predators attacking people on the trails? National Geographic, Animal Planet and Discovery Channel stated big wild cats are starting to migrate to civilization attacking people on trails.
    Huh!
    Is this only happening to riders on vintage i-drives.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    Dude, I'm in Illinois. The only place anyone would come from that would say this area is hilly is Kansas.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Folks,

Any one know the values for/of leverage of our I-drive frames suspension?

Pocket Pool Savant
    Only thing that I've ever been chased by was a wild Tom turkey. Damn thing was HUGE and wanted me dead. I think I got between him and his hens...man, that thing chased me for about 1/2 mile.

AJ
    "Stop smirking. It's irritating" - Judge Judy

Only thing that I've ever been chased by was a wild Tom turkey. Damn thing was HUGE and wanted me dead. I think I got between him and his hens...man, that thing chased me for about 1/2 mile.

AJ
    And you ride a vintage i-drive case solved.
    Dude, I'm in Illinois. The only place anyone would come from that would say this area is hilly is Kansas.

Pocket Pool Savant
    For some reason 4.5:1 seems to ring a bell.

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by jalves View Post
    Folks,

Any one know the values for/of leverage of our I-drive frames suspension?

Pocket Pool Savant
    OK, so back to the refund. I got the refund today. I'm not saying that this was intentional, but I'll let the facts speak. For all of you who purchased the iDrive early TH Industries stamped cups, be VERY wary.

AJ

Pocket Pool Savant
    As for wild animals, IIRC, about 10 years ago, a member on this site was involved in a mt. lion attack either in Cali or North of that. There was a big hullabaloo about what to carry, what to do, etc.

AJ

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    For some reason 4.5:1 seems to ring a bell.

AJ
    AJ, 4.5:1 in centimetres?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    AJ,

Can we know more about de conversation you had with the bearings vendor, namely the reasons he advance for the "incomplete" bearings?

For you folks in the US, is it difficult to source the missing parts in the bearings?

Pocket Pool Savant
    Here's the email chain starting from first to last...

Sent Date: Jul-19-14 19:35:28 PDT
    Dear VENDOR,

I recently purchased the TH Industries Early GT I Drive Eccentric Cup Seal and Bearing kit and I have some significant issues with it. First, the bearing retainers are 2 different diameters. I realized why this was when I started inspecting the cups with my micrometer and calipers after the installation looked very wrong. Most notably, the original cups have a hardened race pressed into them..probably cryogenically. Yours do not. After a quick trip around the block, the cups already show wear because the bearings are basically running against non-hardened surfaces. As well, I noticed that some of the machining was off ever so slightly. Being a machinist myself, these were things I realized right away. Either these were not completed at the factory, or they are the cups from a different set. Please advise me as to how we can rectify this.

If you require photos, I can provide them.

Thanks,
    AJ

Sent Date: Jul-20-14 11:28:14 PDT

Dear mcseforsale,

Hi , GT used 2 different styles, one of them was from TH industries and one style was stamped GT. Did your old ones have GT on them or TH Industries Thanks.

- VENDOR

Sent Date: Jul-20-14 12:10:16 PDT

Dear VENDOR,

Being an '01 GT iDrive 4.0, my bike uses the TH Industries USA Pat stamped cups. The problem is that the cups you're selling don't have the heat-treated steel race pressed into the cups, which were in the TH Industries stamped cups. I've replaced cups on this bike 4 times since new and I've kept all of the used ones and all have heat-treated steel races pressed into them.

Incidentally, I also have a set of GT printed cups and those have heat-treated steel races pressed into them as well, although they fit the GT iDrive 1.0 and 2.0 frames from the same year. I have contacted several other riders who have these cups and theirs are missing the heat-treated races as well. If you require pictures, I can provide them.

Thanks,
    AJ

Dear mcseforsale,

Hi, please return to:

Dude Duderson
    517 Dude Road
    DudeVille, MN

for a refund thanks.

- VENDOR

AJ,

Can we know more about de conversation you had with the bearings vendor, namely the reasons he advance for the "incomplete" bearings?

For you folks in the US, is it difficult to source the missing parts in the bearings?

Pocket Pool Savant
    Jalves,
    Actually, it is more difficult to find the bearings here since the iDrive was carried on in Europe longer than here. The last time I was able to source the correct bearings (that actually were the REAL ones) was about 6 years ago.

The GT printed bearings are fairly easy to come by, but they don't fit the 2001 that I have. The closest shop I can find that has any parts is in England:

GT i Drive Spares : Mountain bikes and componets by BETD Goldtec

AJ

AJ,

Pocket Pool Savant
    No, that's the leverage ratio, meaning that for every inch of shock travel, the actual wheel moves 4.5 times that. The iDrive is roughly a 4.5" travel without sag, so that would make sense. So with that in mind:

The shock should be 6.5" eye to eye with a 1.5" stroke.

Or 165mm x 38mm

AJ, 4.5:1 in centimetres?

Pocket Pool Savant
    Here's a great thread that I was watching years ago. I ended upgrading to a Fox Vanilla R since the iDrive is designed with a platform built in, so having a lockout or platform wouldn't be any gain.

Rear shock upgrade (on GT iDrive)

AJ

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I read that thread some (long) time ago.

If I have the time, I will measure the wheel displacement allowed by the idrive system of my bike, but I seem to remember that it was 4'' (or 10cm).

Thus I think 4.5'':1'' can be to optimistic...

Pocket Pool Savant
    I seem to recall that the claimed travel was 4.5" or ~115mm. But we all know about claimed stuff.

4" would make sense allowing for sag since sag should be set at about 10-15% travel, which would be about 15-20mm. Travel is mistakenly claimed without the sag built in when they do their press. The iDrive, like any other suspension systems...bike or otherwise, require negative travel (sag) in order to work properly.

But when measuring shocks, I think they have to rely on the entire travel.

On our bikes, the sag is set one of 2 ways. My bike came with a sag measuring tool that fits in the shock bolts when sitting on the bike. The text reads 155mm so, you're sagging about 10mm for proper preload.

There's also an "eyeball gauge" stamped in the forging of the 3.0+ frames. Essentially, the vertical rib in the forging should line up with the iDrive ball. See the arrows. It's not scienturgic, but it's good for on the trail settings within a few mm or so.

This is something I noticed when I was working on it just recently. Even though I've had the bike since 2001. Go figure.

AJ

I read that thread some (long) time ago.

If I have the time, I will measure the wheel displacement allowed by the idrive system of my bike, but I seem to remember that it was 4'' (or 10cm).

Thus I think 4.5'':1'' can be to optimistic...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

i-Drive 4.0

This is my second i-Drive. First was a 5.0 so a slight improvement here :-) It has been kept in excellent condition and has some original Rock Shox Judy suspension, which have been professionally painted, along with plenty of other upgrades. I love it. What do you make of the Sweetskinz tyres? Rate or Hate? I'm going with Blue Panaracer anyway as these are just a novelty!

Original i-Drive riders still out there?-20140813_112145.jpgOriginal i-Drive riders still out there?-20140813_112217.jpgOriginal i-Drive riders still out there?-20140813_112259.jpg

Pocket Pool Savant
    Love that frame . I always like the sweetskinz as a novelty. You need a longer seat post. You should have a little post visible below the bottom of the seat mast.

Otherwise, very sweet ride. And, I should know

AJ

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Awesome :-) Think I'd better get a new post as this is the right height for me, the person I bought it off must have been a little shorter as I raised it a touch. It's only a stock GT post too so upgrade is a must

1 week ago

Just a reminder of how long it's been since someone posted her.

mtbr member

Year: 2001 Gt idrive TEAM modernized!

AJ, I finally finished the $400.00 paint job on my GT Team idrive MTB. Description: Red Front and Rear, Black fades into body with charcoal grey. The old colors were yellow tips with blue body. I stayed true to GT idrive team model. I could not find the decals, so I bought a custom GT decal from London, painted the idrive Team, and bought a Easton decal like the original. In my opinion the bike looks like a bad ass I-drive team version. What do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Original i-Drive riders still out there?-20140519_121509.jpg  

Original i-Drive riders still out there?-img_1152.jpg  

Original i-Drive riders still out there?-sand-gt-mtb.jpg  

Original i-Drive riders still out there?-img_9579.jpg  

Original i-Drive riders still out there?-imagejpeg_0.jpg  

Original i-Drive riders still out there?-gt-bike.jpg  

Original i-Drive riders still out there?-gt-bike-1.jpg  

Huckin' trails

Original i-Drive riders still out there?

That's a sweet ass paint job buddy ^^

Great work
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member

2001 GT idrive Team

Thanks David,

I wanted to modernize my bike, but stay classic to the team idrive original paint appearance. That way if anyone made an offer they would feel like they got the upgrade version of GT idrive team. I currently have it at bike shop getting Shimano XT and XTR part installed. I can't wait to hit the trails. I will update when bike is complete.

Best regards,

William.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Original i-Drive riders still out there?-20140825_120517.jpg  

Original i-Drive riders still out there?-20140825_120553.jpg  

mtbr member

oooooooh ****, almost complete..... Bike tech just sent me some pics.

Update.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Original i-Drive riders still out there?-la-foto-3-2.jpg  

Original i-Drive riders still out there?-la-foto-1-2.jpg  

Original i-Drive riders still out there?-la-foto-1-1.jpg  

Original i-Drive riders still out there?-la-foto-5-1.jpg  

Last edited by thrill23; 08-25-2014 at 04:34 PM. Reason: I want to delete, but I do not see the option

mtbr member
    Hahahahahahahaha, lol.

[Q

UOTE=DIRTJUNKIE;11346797]Huh!
    Is this only happening to riders on vintage i-drives.[/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    Not sure why the pictures came out upside down, but I will update tomorrow with a better camera. Bike tech does not have the greatest phone camera. It's like having a new bike again.

Update.....

Pocket Pool Savant
    Seriously! What the hell's going on around here?

AJ

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Great job sir, that is one cool paint job. Loving the colour scheme :-)

AJ, I finally finished the $400.00 paint job on my GT Team idrive MTB. Description: Red Front and Rear, Black fades into body with charcoal grey. The old colors were yellow tips with blue body. I stayed true to GT idrive team model. I could not find the decals, so I bought a custom GT decal from London, painted the idrive Team, and bought a Easton decal like the original. In my opinion the bike looks like a bad ass I-drive team version. What do you think?
    I commend you on your work. Although what was bad ass with those bikes was the original Team GT race color scheme of blue and yellow. Plus by custom painting it you just dropped the vintage mystique and value down a notch or two. As I said your workmanship looks great I'm just disappointed you chose a frame that was one of the few original GT I-drive models that were hand built Easton taper wall tubing and special from the factory. Also the ping pong paddle sticker marked them as such against the blue and yellow race colors. With those special frames originality is where it's at. My 2 cents.

Huckin' trails

I just went out fit a mud ride, first trail ride on my i-drive since may and when I finally reached the peak of the mountain, I got a pinch flat on the rear. Super bummer as I had a spare tube and lever, but I had to leave my CO2 inflator at home because 12g cartridge aren't long enough to seat properly and leak. So I had to walk down and hike the bike for the 300m vert. that I just climbed in heavy humidity. Stopped at a lbs on my way home to change tube and inflate, but still sucks. Maybe I'll go back out tonight if my legs feel like it.
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Pocket Pool Savant
    Sucks on the mud ride. Them's fun!

I finally found the source of my never-ending creaking that I've been searching for for YEARS!

It was the bottom bolt of my dog-bone loosening and creaking when pedaling, coasting, in/out of the saddle.

The reason I never figured it out was because whenever it would start, I'd rebuild the entire iDrive mech and it would go away....because re-installing the dogbone was part of that. So, I always figured it was the iDrive cups moving around, or the mechanism itself.

Hoe Lee Chit. What an idiot I am.

I'll be replacing the bushings on the dogbone with these soon and start using blue loctite on them:

https://order.lantech.com/parts_list...?ident=000417A

Ahh....silence.

AJ

Huckin' trails

The dog-bone bolts also went loose on my brother's i-drive a while ago before I had built mine up, which is what I found after searching for the source of a clunk that always occurred when you step on the pedals. However, since the bolt was under a lot of side load, even when lifting the bike off the ground, it required quite a good amount of torque to screw it back all the way, thus fooling me at first when checking for the typical "loose" bolt. When I built mine up, I took extra care to apply loctite and torque them properly.

Also, there's now the Loctite n249 Quicktape available, it's like teflon tape, but in a tacky extra thin blue film that can be pre-applied days prior to assembly and doesn't make a mess. One roll of 260" is about $15 (amazon) and it's useful when you have to get the bolt through deep before engaging the threads. Also less mess for things like rotors bolts or stem bolts, where you don't have to interrupt the assembly to prep the next bolt. The new 243 formula is great too since it's oil tolerant and better grip on stainless and aluminum (great for calipers and chainring bolts).

Also I went for a ride today, was fun, but not as muddy as yesterday would have been. Still I ripped the trails good and had lot of fun

Pocket Pool Savant
    Sounds good. As long as it can stand up to my incessant OCD cleaning rituals.

AJ

mtbr member
    Good evening Dirtjunkie,
    To me, the GT idrive TEAM bike is my favorite. I did not want to buy another bike because I love that GT model. I just wanted my bike to feel and look new. That bike is not for sale, so value or worth is not important to me. Regarding the vintage mystique, it still has it with a touch of new and anyone that knows about GT can see it is a GT idrive model. I just felt like I had to revive my bike and rebuilt it better than before with new parts. The blue and yellow got old because I have had the bike since 2001. Im sure you like original paint and vintage look, but my bike was scratched and beat up from trails. I appreciate the comment.

Best regards,
    Willis.

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    I commend you on your work. Although what was bad ass with those bikes was the original Team GT race color scheme of blue and yellow. Plus by custom painting it you just dropped the vintage mystique and value down a notch or two. As I said your workmanship looks great I'm just disappointed you chose a frame that was one of the few original GT I-drive models that were hand built Easton taper wall tubing and special from the factory. Also the ping pong paddle sticker marked them as such against the blue and yellow race colors. With those special frames originality is where it's at. My 2 cents.

mtbr member
    Good evening Gonzo Mason,
    Thanks Bro, I love my bike and thought it would be cool to do a complete rebuild. New parts and paint job but stay original to the model. That is why you see GT idrive TEAM painted. I tried looking for original decals, but had no luck. I love the new look, my friends love it as well. They wanted to trade new Rocky Mountain and Scott MTB, but denied trades like in fantasy football. LOL.
    Best regards,
    Willis.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo Mason View Post
    Great job sir, that is one cool paint job. Loving the colour scheme :-)

Good evening Dirtjunkie,
    To me, the GT idrive TEAM bike is my favorite. I did not want to buy another bike because I love that GT model. I just wanted my bike to feel and look new. That bike is not for sale, so value or worth is not important to me. Regarding the vintage mystique, it still has it with a touch of new and anyone that knows about GT can see it is a GT idrive model. I just felt like I had to revive my bike and rebuilt it better than before with new parts. The blue and yellow got old because I have had the bike since 2001. Im sure you like original paint and vintage look, but my bike was scratched and beat up from trails. I appreciate the comment.

Best regards,
    Willis.
    I'm just disappointed you chose a frame that was one of the few original GT I-drive models that were hand built Easton 6061 taper wall tubing and special from the factory. Also the ping pong paddle sticker marked them as such against the Team GT blue and yellow race colors. Those race colors is what distinguished them and designated them as special. No other GT bikes received that special paint job. The only ones that did were the hand built Easton 6061 taper wall tubing bikes out of the Santa Ana plant. They were special and in this day and era so far away from them being out of production any remaining ones out and about should be savor end and treasured and left bone stock as museum pieces.

Besides the Team Zaskars that came in that color scheme. There were only 3 model i-drive models that came that way.

Year 2000' Y2K I-drive
    Year 2000' XCR-LE I-drive
    Year 2001' Team I-drive

All were hand built out of the Santa Ana plant and designated as such with that paint scheme.

And you bought it in 2001' probably new I would think you would know how special of a model it is. And what that paint scheme means in the GT world.

Pocket Pool Savant
    Who cares? GT certainly doesn't. Unless you're willing to chop open the frame and check the drawing and tapers, you wouldn't be able to tell anyway.

The bike looks very nice. If I could get my pivot apart, I'd do the same thing over the winter.

AJ

Who cares? GT certainly doesn't. Unless you're willing to chop open the frame and check the drawing and tapers, you wouldn't be able to tell anyway.

The bike looks very nice. If I could get my pivot apart, I'd do the same thing over the winter.

AJ
    Would you also take a 1967' Corvette 427 and install a Volkswagen motor and some giant wheel flares.

mtbr member
    Good morning Dirt junkie,

I understand your point of view however, I do not share the same vision. I documented my painting process and have pictures to see what my bike looked like. So if I ever wanted to go back to old paint job I will by replicating the original paint job. I replaced every part with Shimano XT, XTR, all top of the line by Shimano.

Using your example of the 1967' Corvette 427 compared to the work I did on my bike. I would of up dated the vehicle with a nice paint job and replace with the best up to date suspension. So when I take a turn the handling is not like 1967, but more like 2014. I'm the type to enjoy what I have instead of watch it in a garage or in your terms museum. Nevertheless, we have a difference of opinion and I appreciate your opinion.

Best regards,

William.

Would you also take a 1967' Corvette 427 and install a Volkswagen motor and some giant wheel flares.

Pocket Pool Savant
    No, because that's a stupid analogy. Plus that was the last model year of that chassis and they were killing it because time was moving on....like all things.

When you know a *little* about a car and try to impart that into the bike world, I kinda have to chuckle. It happens all the time in the vintage BMX scene too when someone refinishes a "survivor" and catches a bunch of crap from the "real" collectors.

I should know.

AJ

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    AJ,

Did you try to remove the hardened part from the old Idrive element bushings (the part that lack in our new bushings)?

I had the (crazy) idea of turning the bushings 180 upside down in order to change the grooved hardened part to the upside of the bushings thus living the less battered in the lower part, improving the rotation of the idrive when I stand in the cranks.

What you think, a bad plan?

mtbr member
    Wow that bike looks clean. Bad ass.

QUOTE=mcseforsale;11437199]No, because that's a stupid analogy. Plus that was tqhe last model year of that chassis and they were killing it because time was moving on....like all things.

When you know a *little* about a car and try to impart that into the bike world, I kinda have to chuckle. It happens all the time in the vintage BMX scene too when someone refinishes a "survivor" and catches a bunch of crap from the "real" collectors.

I should know.

AJ[/QUOTE]

Pocket Pool Savant
    Thanks. It was fun to ride BITD.

AJ

Huckin' trails

Is that guy with the skate board in the background wearing an orange lid or is it really an authentic orange Afro hair cut ?

Pocket Pool Savant
    That dude was full on Rector gear. Orange Rector helmet, burnt orange Rector shorts...Rector pads, Rector stickers all over his board. And he was always laughing or smiling. I think he was into the Hosoi culture, if you know what I mean....

AJ

No, because that's a stupid analogy. Plus that was the last model year of that chassis and they were killing it because time was moving on....like all things.

I should know.

AJ
    Wow you really took my car analogy to heart. Give me a break I think you know what I meant. I like how you emphasized "little" as in knowing little about a car. Like you really know me. All I was trying to get across was how special those frames are and its a shame to customize it. And from thrill23's response back to me at least he was understanding of where I was coming from as I am of his choice. But for you to come at me like this well that's a bit over the top for not even knowing me.

Huckin' trails

^^ I shed a tear every time I nick the clear coat off my GT when I ride too.

Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    ^^ I shed a tear every time I nick the clear coat off my GT when I ride too.

David you can finally retire all your old playing cards and clothes pins.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/qqpcBpSsj1A?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pocket Pool Savant
    Meh. Redacted. My GAFF is hovering about a -4 to drivel.
    AJ

Wow you really took my car analogy to heart. Give me a break I think you know what I meant. I like how you emphasized "little" as in knowing little about a car. Like you really know me. All I was trying to get across was how special those frames are and its a shame to customize it. And from thrill23's response back to me at least he was understanding of where I was coming from as I am of his choice. But for you to come at me like this well that's a bit over the top for not even knowing me.