mtbr member
    May 2015

Ordered a Karakoram. What to expect?

Ok so me and the fiance are goign to start biking a lot. My current bike is a mongoose mountain bike I got at Wal-mart for like 120 bucks. The gearing never worked. Wouldn't switch have the time or would switch in the middle of pedaling becoming very unsafe. Even after trying to tune it correctly it just would never work right. About 3 years ago I bought a used GT hard tail at a yard sale. I used it for about a year but then never had time to ride anymore so I sold the bike. It was obscenely better than my mongoose. The GT was from the 90s but I don't know the model #. It was lighter/shifted better/stopped better/and rode better.Because of this and some experience my friends have had with GT I decided to buy another one.I ordered a 2015 Karakoram Elite. Which apparently no one on here has talked about. I got it new but was able to get it for what I believe is a good price.I am just curious what to expect out of it. And if I made a good choice? I ride on everything from roads/dirt trails/ to even some mountain climbs.Here are the specs for those interested. Hopefully you can tell me if the parts on it are any good. I went with the elite because it had 32mm fork .
    Frame:29" Hydroformed & Butted Speed Metal_ Aluminum (TT/DT) Frame, w/ Triple Triangle, Replaceable Derailleur Hanger, Disc Brake Mounts, and Zerostack 1 1/8" Head Tube
    Fork:SR Suntour XCR 32 RL DS w/ 100mm Travel, 29", Magnesium Lowers, 32mm Cr-mo Steel Uppers, w/ Post Mount Disc Brake, W/ Remote Lockout, W/Rebound Adjust
    Crank:Shimano Deore, FC-M610, 42/32/24TBottom Bracket:Shimano included in FC
    Front Derailleur:Shimano Deore, FD-M610
    Rear Derailleur:Shimano Deore XT Shadow Plus, RD-M786
    Shifters:Shimano Deore SL-M610
    Cog Set:Shimano CS-HG50-10, 11-36T, 10-Speed
    Rims:Shinning DB28D, Double Wall, 32H
    Tires:Continental Race King 29X2.20"
    Hubs:All Terra Alloy Disc, W/ Quick Release, Center Lock Spokes:14G Stainless
    Nipples:Brass
    Brake:Shimano BR-M396, Hydraulic Disc, W/ 160mm Rotor SM-RT30Brake Levers:Shimano Hydraulic Disc Brake Lever
    Handlebar:All Terra Riser, Butted, 710mm Width, 15mm Rise, 31.8mm Clamp
    Stem:All Terra 1 1/8" Threadless, 3D Forged, 4-Bolt W/ CNC Face Plate, 6� Rise, 31.8mm Clamp
    Grips:GT Statement
    Headset:FSA NO.10 1 1/8" Threadless, Zerostack
    Saddle:All Terra Colorado
    Seat Post:All Terra Alloy Micro-Adjust, 30.9mm
    Seat Clamp:All Terra Alloy QR

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I had a '13 Karakoram last year. It's a solid beginner bike or if you're into doing flat XC riding. I put decent wheels and a Fox air fork on it and it made a huge difference--it went from being just ok to being fairly decent enough to handle the chunky parts of the trails in my area. It was a 2nd bike so I ended up selling it since I didn't ride it that much and the geometry was too XC for me, but it was overall a solid bike. I think I would have kept it if it had a tapered headtube, made to handle 120-130mm travel, and not such a heavy frame.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I am happy with my 2012, karakoram 2

Sneaker man
    Don't know too much about the frame, but should be solid for good use (well apart from being a 29er..but that a whole different issue )
    Also looks like mostly a Shimano Deore groupset, so that will be great, Deore isn't flashy, but it works well.
    Don't know much about the Suntour forks, they seem to make stuff at super upper lever (that pro's get) and otherwise at the very bottom end, but i think they have been tryting to do a better mid range fork recently (hence the link to the BH-suntour pro team)... but no idea. Really that'll be about the first thing to replace when the upgrade-itis hits.
    Shoudl be a good alround rugged bike that will get you mny places whuile having loads of fun.
    2003 Yeti ARC
    2008 GT Zaskar Reissue
    1996 GT Xizang
    2012 Cannondale Synapse 3 Carbon
    2012 Cervelo R3
    2015 Look 675 Light