Thread: Older Zaskar?

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004

Older Zaskar?

I've got what looks to be a 1999? or so Zaskar in the cool anodized purple/blue paint.

I had one of these in the past (about 8 years ago), but the BB threads got messed up and the brake boss stripped out, so I ended up trashing it. I never cared for the bike, as it was more trouble than what it was worth.

About 2 years ago I picked up another one for $150, and have been riding it occasionally (its a loaner bike to friends who want to ride) and its been working pretty well, care free, and no problem so far. The geometry is a bit funky (designed in the day when long travel was 100mm), but its a great climber.

Apparently, the old ones are all the rage now.

What gives? Do I have a collectors item on my hands?

mtbr member
    ''What gives? Do I have a collectors item on my hands?''

I would say that you do. GT was one of the top American bicycle companies in the nineties, the Zaskar was their top of the line XC race bike, and I think the ano purple was quite hot at the time. With the bankruptcy they almost fell off the face of the earth, but now GT is back in the news. The release of the Zaskar Reissue and the new carbon Zaskar have created a lot of buzz around GT and the old ones are popping up all over. Whether or not it's worth anything is another issue. Keep an eye on Ebay to see what it is worth. If you post the serial number here, someone will be able to tell you when it was made.

GT-Maniac
    Pics!?!

Wanderer
    I have to say that I don't miss my '99 Zaskar LE at all. That thing would beat the hell out of me. My Xizang is many many times better (for me).

mtbr member
    What you have is not a 99....but earlier. The color is not purple but "Ink Blue" anodized. The serial number is stamped into the left rear dropout and the first four digits are the month and year that it was made. How's the drive side chainstay?.... is clean and not badly gouged from chain suck? Is it dent and scratch free? After answering those questions one can begin to determine what it might be worth.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.