mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Older I-drive sealed bearing pivot Maintenance pics

Here it goes guys; I have 9 pics in total for this thing. they are from my own I-drive Team disassembly on the eccentric which carries the sealed bearings. I also have a written pdf file from GT on how to do this. I don't think I can load it on here but send me an e-mail at jorgev1721@yahoo.com and I'll send it to you. If you combine both then you shouldn't have problems. I also have 36 pics for the old style I-drive with bearing cups and races. These came from an I-drive disassembly poster I have. I'll post another thread on that one.
    PAY ATTENTION TO THE FIRST 3 PICS ON THERE. THE BEARINGS HAVE AN INNER RACE THAT PORTRUDES (STICKS OUT) A LITTLE ON ONE SIDE. THERE IS A HUGE REASON FOR THIS. IT WILL BE RELEVANT WHEN YOU REINSTALL OR REPLACE THE BEARINGS. I CAN'T EMPHASIZE THIS ENOUGH. PAY ATTENTION OR YOU'LL RUIN THE BEARINGS.

DISCLAIMER: Use this at your own risk. I assume no responsibility for your actions. Use this only as a reference to help you.

One more thing: Do not mess with the main pivot if you don't have to. If it isn't lose or dragging alot don't mess with it. It's a pain in the butt if you don't have the right tools. If you mess them up, they can get expensive to replace. Trust me on this one. I had to do it twice on my 2003 I-drive 1.0. Well here it goes: Good luck!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (61.9 KB, 816 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (32.8 KB, 683 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (24.9 KB, 690 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (77.7 KB, 623 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (57.5 KB, 592 views)
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (57.7 KB, 612 views)
    • File Type: jpg 7.jpg (71.4 KB, 585 views)
    • File Type: jpg 8.jpg (48.8 KB, 586 views)
    • File Type: jpg 9.jpg (51.5 KB, 645 views)
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Can you give us a little background about that bike and it's life? Looks pretty rusty in there. What provoked the tear down in this instance?

I've always wondered how bad the inside of my '99 XCR was. The slot for the dog bone and the one next to the cable guide appear to let just about anything in. I've never submersed the BB in a water crossing or hosed off the frame for this reason. (damp rag wipe downs instead)

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    This bike is my race bike. I am not the first owner, 2nd I think. it is a 2001 I-drive Team frame and the tear down hapenned last year. I just wanted to replace the bearings on it. and do an overall inspection of it. The rusty bearings came out and were a little rough but not too bad. Here in Oklahoma things just rust cuz of the humidity but I did race mine in a couple of wet trails. On a muddy ride, that area will collect some stuff. The new bearings have been working well and I probably won't have to mess with them for another two years or so. It's probably had one to two breakdowns on its 8 year life. Great frame. Luv it.
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gt jorgito
    Great frame. Luv it.
    Hi, Im over the pond in the UK and am just about to attempt a complete strip down on my i-drive unit (not many bike shops here are willing to tackle it!!)
    Am I right in thinking that I will need a special "i-drive tool" to do the job? Thats all my local bike shops are telling me.
    I agree, its a great frame - had mine 7 years now and its performed superbly - time to strip that bearing down though before my first serious competition.

Can you tell me if you know of any websites that stock spare parts for the bearing....? Can only find one here in the UK and they dont seem to stock too many of the parts.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    bigal65, im exactly the same as you mate, had my idrive for 7 years and even though all my mates take the p#ss i love it!
    i have just started to strip it down hoping for better weather coming ( im in uk also ) im stuck at the main pivot pin, i have started to remove it but as im using sockets and copper drifts im not really moving it but also running the risk of damaging the frame.
    Ive looked everywhere to get a idrive tool kit, or even a 20mm bushing removal kit for the main pivot without any look.
    Have you tried BETD up near stoke? they are the only people i can find stocking spares for the old i drive

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

i drive nightmare

Hi there mate. As of yet i have still not stripped the u.it down. I've literally just got home from a ride now and noticed the BB is wobbling far too much now so I am in despsrate need of a overhaul. I've been putting it off because I still can't find any tools to buy online. Betd seem to stock the best range but no i-drive tool! My local bike shop told me to get in touch with the UK supplier which I think is going to be my next port of call. I'm training for the isle of man end to end race in September so I definately meed to get it done before then. If I have any luck i will let you know. The pictures in this thread seem pretty helpful mind so once I get the tools I need ill be away. Where abouts in the uk are you?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    You dont need any special tools If the bb is wobling it maybe that he lockring maybe slightly loose undo the three set screws and wind the lock ring in till it stops and feel for play again. A complete strip of the eccentric its not difficult.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    im in leek, by the peak district, how about you?
    im going to pop into betd this weekend as theyre in stoke by me, ill ask them about stripping the bearing, ive just managed to get the main pivot bushing out with a g clamp and plenty of swearing!
    let me know how you get on with main dealer, but im not expecting much, as the frame is getting on abit now!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

idrive

nice one - good luck at betd!

Im in Billingham (near Middlesbrough in the north east) awesome MTB on the North Yorkshire moors.

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united...26831572128493

I agree about the importer, im probably pi$$ing in the wind but I dont think Ill ever get rid of the frame I love it so much. Even if I do get funny looks off people when Im out riding!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    can anyone confirm if these are the proper bearings for a GT idrive Team edition? GT I Drive Bottom Bracket Parts Group 2 New SEALED Bearings No Reserve | eBay

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I had a 2001 Team frame and thats what they looked like.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Awesome, and are there two bearings in the eccentric or 4, I'm thinking two.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Here are some pics of when I took mine apart and what to watch out for. Be aware of the way the bearings go in there. The raised inner race goes facing the outside. If you put them backwards as soon as you tighten the I-drive, they will pop out and they might get ruined.Older I-drive sealed bearing pivot Maintenance pics-012008-017.jpgOlder I-drive sealed bearing pivot Maintenance pics-012008-018.jpgOlder I-drive sealed bearing pivot Maintenance pics-012008-019.jpgOlder I-drive sealed bearing pivot Maintenance pics-012008-021.jpgOlder I-drive sealed bearing pivot Maintenance pics-012008-022.jpgOlder I-drive sealed bearing pivot Maintenance pics-012008-023.jpgOlder I-drive sealed bearing pivot Maintenance pics-012008-025.jpgOlder I-drive sealed bearing pivot Maintenance pics-012008-026.jpgOlder I-drive sealed bearing pivot Maintenance pics-bearing-position.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Here's the some files I have. I hope they load.
    3.40.i-DRIVEassemblyquickref.pdf

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    this is really good stuff, exactly what I needed. Really appreciate your help.

mtbr member
    Jorgito, you are the man. Can you send me the PDF for the GT idrive Team eccentric bearing? Check out my profile to view my GT idrive team. I am currently painting and rebuilding my MTB. My email is thrill23@gmail.com.

Best regards,

William.

Quote Originally Posted by gt jorgito View Post
    Here it goes guys; I have 9 pics in total for this thing. they are from my own I-drive Team disassembly on the eccentric which carries the sealed bearings. I also have a written pdf file from GT on how to do this. I don't think I can load it on here but send me an e-mail at jorgev1721@yahoo.com and I'll send it to you. If you combine both then you shouldn't have problems. I also have 36 pics for the old style I-drive with bearing cups and races. These came from an I-drive disassembly poster I have. I'll post another thread on that one.
    PAY ATTENTION TO THE FIRST 3 PICS ON THERE. THE BEARINGS HAVE AN INNER RACE THAT PORTRUDES (STICKS OUT) A LITTLE ON ONE SIDE. THERE IS A HUGE REASON FOR THIS. IT WILL BE RELEVANT WHEN YOU REINSTALL OR REPLACE THE BEARINGS. I CAN'T EMPHASIZE THIS ENOUGH. PAY ATTENTION OR YOU'LL RUIN THE BEARINGS.

DISCLAIMER: Use this at your own risk. I assume no responsibility for your actions. Use this only as a reference to help you.

One more thing: Do not mess with the main pivot if you don't have to. If it isn't lose or dragging alot don't mess with it. It's a pain in the butt if you don't have the right tools. If you mess them up, they can get expensive to replace. Trust me on this one. I had to do it twice on my 2003 I-drive 1.0. Well here it goes: Good luck!

mtbr member
    Guys, I need help. I am trying to buy online the Shimano Deore M590 9 Speed Triple Chainset.
    Crankset black
    Material: Aluminium, small sprocket steel
    Colour: black/anthracite
    Fitting for derailleur: Shimano 9-speed
    Axle profile: Hollowtech II
    Bolt Circle (mm):104 / 64mm
    68/73mm BB Shell

Can anyone tell me what
    Length

170mm

175mm

and

Teeth

44.32.22t

48.36.26t

I don't know what goes with my GT idrive Team. I am currently at work and I do not have the option of looking at my old parts. Also, how many teeth should the cassette be on the tire? What size of bike chain should I get? Not sure how important it is, but my bike has the v-brakes.