Slowly but surely...

Older GT i-Drive frame change question.

So, in pictures I've seen, it looks like after 2000, GT moved the lower shock mount from "in" the rear triangle to above it. In all, it looks like no more than maybe an inch difference, but it obviously changes the angle a little, and any change to the geometry can have an impact in how the rear performs/feels. Just wondering if anyone knows why they made the change and if the difference is significant enough that I should consider fabricating a part for my 2000 XCR to duplicate the change or not.
    Thanks for the help.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash.
    - Juli Furtado

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I think it varies by frame. My 2002 and 2004 I-drive 1.0s had it inside the rear triangle, but my i-drive team has it outside. The Team frame has a 3.5ish travel and the 1.0's that I've owned had 4 3/4 ish travel. The little change is probably from frame to frame instead of year to year. If you were to fabricate something for your '00 XCR you would probably loose travel and may need to replace your rear shock. I wouldn't mess with it bro. I'd check out the pics at "Post your Gt" and see the XC racers like the Team, Pro, Marathon and Race frames and you'll see what I mean if you compare them to the 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, etc.... of that same year. Hope this helps.

Slowly but surely...
    Jorgito,
    You're the man! Thanks for the advice. I had wondered how much it would change travel. So, that being said, if I stick with the current configuration, any thoughts on how a newer shock, like something with pro-pedal would act under the current geometry?
    Thanks again.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash.
    - Juli Furtado

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I borrowed a Manitou Swinger for a while on my last 1.0 and it worked very well. It took me a while to get setup right but it worked very well when I got the settings the way I wanted them. My latest I-drive Team has a PUSH'ed Fox Shock and it also works very well. It would have been a great upgrade with the swinger but I no longer have that frame so go for it if you're thinking of an upgrade.