mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Older Bravado Question

I have an old Bravado frame from the 1990's. I bought the bike new and later stripped most of the parts off of it to build up another frame. I'm building this frame into a commuter bike. The frame is still in great shape. It has the groove tube for the cables. My problem is that the front der. is a top pull and there must have been a bracket or cable guide that was clamped onto the frame just underneath the cable guide for the U-Brake on the back. At some point over the years that cable guide has disappeared.

I have the front Der. cable jury rigged right now, but it just a temporary fix.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I may be able to get a cable guide of something that would work as a permanent fix.

mtbr member
    A piece of the thicker plastic cable cover run over the point where the seat tube meets the seat stay will work fine. That's how I have mine routed on my Psyclone. There was a special plastic cable carrier guide that fit this point on the bike but I haven't seen any of them for sale anywhere for quite a while. You can see a picture of them on frames in the 1993 GT catalog on the German catalog website at this link page 5.
    http://www.mtb-kataloge.de/Bikekatal.../GT/1993-2.pdf
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thanks, I'll try your suggestion. A local shop suggested a clamp on cable stop, but they couldn't find a source for one that would fit the diameter of the seat tube.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

mtbr member
    THESE!!!

The black bike pictured is my Psyclone w/the oversized/thick plastic cable noodle and the yellow one is my Team Avalanche with the appropriate front derailleur guide that GT had designed to work on these groove tube top pull frames. If you happen to live near a dealer that sold GT back in the 92-3 era you might be able to find one that still has one of these in a parts bin. I think the one on my Psyclone actually pulls better when shifting though as it has a straighter line. It's not as stiff and there is an brazed on eyelet on the seat tube that I ran it through. The one on the Team Avalanche wraps all the way around the seat tube and definitely pulls harder when shifting.

Hope this helps cljward!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.