mtbr member

Old School Avalanche

Well, I started riding again after a hiatus of over a decade. A few friends of mine and I decided it was time to get back to the trail after putting on a few extra pounds after marriage and a few kids.

So I pulled out my old ride, a late 90ís Avalanche. The polished finish was less then polished so I pulled out a can of Mother's aluminum polish and ordered a new sticker kit. The Avalanche was cool when I got it, but that was long ago and now it is very outdated. Cycling has really changed during this time. I wanted to try a 9'speed setup so I found a nice set of XT shifters and derailleur locally. Other upgrades included a new cassette and chain to a Sram 9-speed, the front brakes to a set of Avid BB7 (had to upgrade the front wheel as well), added a Marzzochi Marathon Race along with a slew of other small parts.

I plan on getting a new bike this summer or fall. For now, these upgrades have really changed the characteristics of this bike and allows me enjoy the trail much more. Here are a few pics of the bike after with the new parts installed. Sorry for the poor quality, hard to take good pics without sunlight.

No good in rock gardens..
    Cycling may have changed but it's still about having fun - and looks like that Av still has a lot of fun miles left in it yet.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

mtbr member
    Great looking ride. The nice thing with the GT's is that frame design is still around so it's as if they never go out of style.

mtbr member
    nice bike but that's' not "old school". 97 vintage... it's not even a teenager yet

Now these are old enough o be legally married in some states!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

Nice day for a ride.....
    Nice Avalanche! I love the polished frames!
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    sweet ride, I upgreded my 98 GT Ricochet with a Marzocchi MX Comp (same looking fork but white), Mavic crossride, FSA steam ... but It look really similar to your avalanche, but mine is blue. I love it.