Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Old School

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Edward78 
#1 ·
My first Mtn. Bike was a 1993 GT Karakoram in "Black-Light" which I bought new while serving in the USMC. The old Karakoram traveled the world with me and I've always had a place for the old GT's. I still have the old girl, although not fully functioning at present. My current ride is a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR. I recently picked up a 1996 Avalanche LE and I'm needing a little info if possible..... What is the specs on the original Rock Shox Judy XC on the Avalanche? I'm shopping the classifieds / e-bay for a replacement / upgrade and really don't know the exact specs to be looking for. Stem length? Travel? what fork would be a direct "bolt-on" replacement? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
#3 ·
yeah picking up a 2nd hand fork like a sid or a marzochhi z2, or a functioning judy would be the way to go.
Niot much inb the way of new forks will fit. I put a manitou r7 80mm on my 96 xizang and works pretty well, but no canti hanger if you are going that way.

#4 ·
I am going to put Hyd brakes on mine so I hope to find something without canti hangers. But a good deal on a good fork is first priority.

I have always wanted a Ball burnished Avalanche LE back in 97 I almost bought one but did not have the cash to spend on it and ended up with a 98 Trek 820 SHX finally 16 years later I got the bike I always wanted. Now I just have to decide what to do with it. Cant decide 1x10 2x10 3x9 or just leave well functioning 3x8 on it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.