Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Sneaker man

Official Zaskar/Xizang thread

I was thinking, since 1) we have some people on here that know an awefull lot about them and 2) every second day theres a new thread about "what year/is it a?/what fits/what color/serial #" that maybe people could pool that info in one spot, so as soon as someone does ask (here or in vintage) then they can be straight away directed to a thread with it all in there... might save a lot of hassle

and put in some pics for looking at

mtbr member
    please ask the administrators to make this thread a sticky at the top of the page....

Come on Mik...you started this your picture's first
    Last edited by gm1230126; 03-08-2009 at 05:48 PM.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

Sneaker man
    well since I only have the humble re-issue as my only GT...for now... i'll post off some fave pics (that also induces the GT thread in VRC) then ask a total numbskull question...

OK, now for my dumb qq, my zaskar has an integrated headset (or will when i figure this out), now I must have been out of the loop for a good long while, as while I know what this is, I don't know much about them, how exactly do they work? there is more than one type?? (angle) or are there anydifferences? any recomendations? or at least what will fit (and don't say chris king as for some unknown reason I don't like them, along with thomson stuff)...

defender of bad taste
    Nov 2007
    Just bought a 2-rides-of-use-from-new polished Xizang for (relatively) little cash, it has the later (all GT terra) decals. can anyone tell me what length of fork (axle to crown) this frame was built for?

mtbr member
    Post up a pic. Didn't you get a fork with the frame? The rigid 3D forks that came on the 90-92 models were 395mm. In 1993 most of the Bologna Lite forks were 405mm. You'd be best off sticking to a long travel Judy SL or less otherwise you'll be "choppering" out the ride and you'll feel it affecting your handling.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    My GT Zaskar Carbon team

Muddy ride!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Can't forget the JF

From Mointain Bike Racing Volume 1, 1993:

And another one from the same magazine:

From Mointain Bike Nov 1993 issue:

I thought I had chucked this issue but it was sleeping at the bottom of the magazine box. To me, there is no GT without these guys.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hatake
    To me, there is no GT without these guys.
    Well they certainly were a big part of a well oiled machine...but there never would have been a team let alone GT without the vision of one man.....Richard Long

mtbr member
    here a 89er gt steel xizang.................i love it

you can tell that is a really good bike,when the name is written on the end of the top tube.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I love the look of that GT Carbon Team. You make me wanna cry and beg for one. I'll get one..........One of these days........One of these days.
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kikaha
    here a 89er gt steel xizang.................i love it

Who owns that one? and why did they take the original parts off? Original spec had a Browning transmission in the front

defender of bad taste
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gm1230126
    Post up a pic. Didn't you get a fork with the frame? The rigid 3D forks that came on the 90-92 models were 395mm. In 1993 most of the Bologna Lite forks were 405mm. You'd be best off sticking to a long travel Judy SL or less otherwise you'll be "choppering" out the ride and you'll feel it affecting your handling.

OK here's the frame - actually a 1998 (thanks gm1230126) I hadn't seen the frame for a year before picking it up - I guess my memory is failing!

Dropout detail:

And by bizarre coincidence, a fork I just happened to have had for some time:

I also have the Triple butted Bologna fork that came in my Corrado (currently running an Indy XC long travel) which I may have to use until I find some new springs for the Judy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gm1230126
    Who owns that one? and why did they take the original parts off? Original spec had a Browning transmission in the front

.... That'd be why they changed the original parts then!!!

Ever used one of those systems?

Hopefully they still have the system at home so when they retire this bike they can put it back original showroom spec.

But while it's being ridden......
    I'm Ron Burgundy?

mtbr member
    Vintage 3-D
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wanderer
    Heres a nice pic of me and my '99 Xizang in some night action.

http://www.crake.smugmug.com/gallery...708_mN24j-A-LB

GT-Maniac
    My Zaskars from left to right: Zaskar LE frame 1991, Zaskar 1992, Zaskar LE 1994, Zaskar (red) 1997, 2x Zaskar LE 1998, Zaskar 1998, Zaskar LE 2000, Zaskar Team 2004 and Zaskar Race frame 2001.

Not shown above:
    Zaskar LE 1999 cosmic sunrise:

Zaskar 1997:

Zaskar 1994 purple:

and my newest Zaskar LE 1994 frame:

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    You are such a show off Lobo! LOL. Nice rides man.
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.

mtbr member
    my all time fave.............................................. .

you can tell that is a really good bike,when the name is written on the end of the top tube.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Mint 98 Zaskar

I bought this from a guy in Venice Beach. He just wanted to sell it coz he has to buy something for his girl. I wont say how muchi got it but figure this. I copuld have bought a used 3.0 Avalanche on CL that day with the money I gave him. Lucky me!l. He bought it new in 1999, all XTR, Chris King hubs, Thomson, SDG Belair, KORE Ti Skewers/stem, etc. He did some upgrades, rode it for less than 200 miles and was put to storage in 2001. Here it is. You want to see how fresh this bike is? I have removed the crank for cleaning and I was shocked. Check the last pic.

Sneaker man
    OK so weall love gt's zaskars and xizangs (^nice one too by the way)...

but all teh promo stuff for the re-issue goes on about winning, etc etc... now I only got into MTBing in 1992 and by that time it was the xizang that was the team bike... so what exactly did the zaskar win? not like i'm dissing it, i just want to know what XC/DH anything of note that was won on a zaskar?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git

but all teh promo stuff for the re-issue goes on about winning, etc etc... now I only got into MTBing in 1992 and by that time it was the xizang that was the team bike... so what exactly did the zaskar win? not like i'm dissing it, i just want to know what XC/DH anything of note that was won on a zaskar?
    The Zaskar WON a lot of happy customers being the the less expensive bike compared to the XIXANG. If the Zaskar became the Titanum model, that would have been the Team GT bike of choice.

Sneaker man
    that really doesn't help me any

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git

mik_gt...very true. Nearly the entire GT team with exception of Jimi Killen and the gravity guys rode Xizangs. Obviously Rishi and Juli won many races on Xizangs. But...back in 1995 some teenage kid from Pennsylvania Menonite country rode a Zaskar to the NORBA National Expert title....his name....Floyd Landis. If memory serves me correct Jimmy Kight and a couple other GT racers may have also rode Zaskars to a number of Dual Slalom and DH wins in the early 90's before the RTS came out. In nearly all regions of the US there were guys and girls riding and finishing at or near the top in expert class races almost every weekend riding Zaskars. Hans Rey won a number of (big wheel) trials titles on Zaskars also.

Sneaker man
    yeah thats about what i figured, (didn't forget hans, just pushed trails to the side for a bit) that regional... lesser... for want of a better word, champoinships riders would use them, but at top level the xizang would be used. I guess from the time i was buying mags, the zaskar got a lot of advertising space, but just not a lot of racing space in teh mags... Istill wanted one bad though

mtbr member
    I was at more that a few Grundig and NORBA national races from 91-95 and there would be one or two other Xizang indy racers other than the GT team riders on them but there would always be another 40-50 people racing Zaskars because they couldn't afford Xizangs as was mentioned above.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast