Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Not a single post on the RTS??

Sure it has a poor susp design but got GT into the full susp world. Just thinking if the all-alum models might be worth picking up as momentos or retros. Any tips, parts replacement problems, pics of sweet rides?

Sneaker man
    hmmm yought there was plenty of post on RTS's, and they wern't a bad design they were actually pretty good and people still use them nowdays... and they won a world title 1st time anyone ever used one in a race

mtbr member
    Search it....there's tons of posts here and if you wonder over to retrobike they are very common. There's even an RTS riders club/group post at retrobike. If you wade through the gallery in the first post you'll see some nice pictures of them.

Keep in mind hammer. Per your profile you started mountain biking five years after the RTS first came out. It was designed with a specific purpose and that may not be what is needed or want today but at the time there wasn't much better to choose from. As with all new things change and improvements come faster. Which may make it seem to you like the RTS was a "poor susp design".

Here's a great post from last year that talks about the RTS and GT's suspension designs in some detail.....it's well worth the read.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...39774#poststop
    Last edited by gm1230126; 04-08-2009 at 11:15 PM.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

Sneaker man
    hey gm, are you un-banned now? ...good

mtbr member

Gt Rts 2

Here is a pic of my GT RTS 2.

Owned since new (1995).

Have changed the bike setup to a full XT Group set and Judy SL forks as the bike came standard with LX and Mag 21's.

Complete bikes, frames and other parts show up occasionly for sale.

I have a spare frame and shock to keep this one going.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by brettels
    Here is a pic of my GT RTS 2.

Owned since new (1995).

Have changed the bike setup to a full XT Group set and Judy SL forks as the bike came standard with LX and Mag 21's.

Complete bikes, frames and other parts show up occasionly for sale.

I have a spare frame and shock to keep this one going.....
    Sweet set up. Mine is also a '95, 16" frame. Now doing a rebuild but trying to not hurry. Found a Bomber fork with my preferred chrome lowers, which I think matches the ball burnished frame. Still love this Busby designed, semi-active, lock out linkage type. It's not a plush susp but running very little sag makes this a great climber, hardtail like. Will post pics later.

mtbr member

Gt Rts

Have changed the bike around since the last post....

What could go wrong ...
    I rode and raced my team RTS from 1996-2008 and if I could find a top section for my swingarm I would still be riding it today. That bike was just so much fun to ride.
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Dirt mag had a feature on the RTS as part of their "bikes that changed the face of DH" series in issue 82. Quite a good read, they noted that an RTS would "still be good fun even today" The bike pictured in the article belongs to a retrobike forum member. Thay also said "believe it or not this really was as good as it got back then" .

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoke2
    I rode and raced my team RTS from 1996-2008 and if I could find a top section for my swingarm I would still be riding it today. That bike was just so much fun to ride.
    You raced the RTS for 12 years? XC? Any tips on set up? Topped out or with sag? What was the race weight? I'm putting on a 100 mm fork but will that jack up the geometry too much to affect handling?

mtbr member

Gt Rts

I have been riding and racing mine since 1995......

Still keeps up with the more modern designs.

Rear ends turn up occasionaly on ebay and the like for the RTS....

As far as forks go, I wouldnt put anything above 80mm on the front as it will screw up the geomentry.

The most I have had is 80mm with a set of Judy SL's with a long travel kit.

Also check the rear Noleen shock to make sure its still got gas as I have two shocks running on just the spring which isnt ideal....

What could go wrong ...
    "You raced the RTS for 12 years? XC? Any tips on set up? Topped out or with sag? What was the race weight? I'm putting on a 100 mm fork but will that jack up the geometry too much to affect handling?"

yes I did ... and yes it was all XC ...my setup -1996 team RTS which was ink blue but I had it stripped and anodized red- wieghed in at 26 lbs ... I ran an 80mm Zoke Z2 fork with Ti springs and for the Noleen rear shock I changed the steel 450 lb spring for a Ti 500 lb spring and all the hardware for the shock mount and rocker arm were Ti ... I ran it with no sag and pretty stiff (lots of preload on the rear shock) It has an all XT drivetrain with a short cage RD and around 2001 I converted it over disc brakes (bb7) and Zoke Z5 air fork
    Last edited by Zoke2; 05-01-2009 at 08:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Keep it at 80mm at the max as this will stuff that geometry.

Ran mine stiff as well with no sag.....

Race weight, not to sure as Im not ione to worry about weight.....as long as it feels right.

Generally ran mine with the Judy SL 9Long Travel Kit 80mm) and full XT Groupset (M737 and M739).

Do you have any photos?

What could go wrong ...
    the first pic is before the disc conversion and the second pic is after the disc conversion

mtbr member

Gt Rts

Nice looking bike.....

I like the disc setup as well. Was it easy to convert the rear to disc?

Im currently building another....will post some photos up at some stage...

I'll keep an eye out for a rear end for you....they pop up now and again.

What could go wrong ...
    I made a custom mount out of aluminum for the rear caliper ... because the bike has large flat dropouts I just made a mount and bolted it on but I have also used a A2Z adapter on it as well

and if you can find a swingarm let me know ... i've been looking for a year

mtbr member

Gt Rts

Started on the 2nd RTS build.

Images below:

Frame

Build so far

With my other RTS

What could go wrong ...
    looking good Brettels ... I had 2 at one time ... my first was a 93 RTS-2 that cracked the frame and GT replaced it with a Zaskar frame and the second one is the 96 team RTS in the pics I posted. seems like there are still a lot of them in the UK and AUS.

mtbr member

Gt Rts 2

Ok...here is the latest version, trying out different parts etc to come to the final makeup for both.

Added some Manitou Blacks and my favourite saddle - Vetta SL.

Will probaly end up with one RTS with Rockshox Mag 21's and cantilever brakes (period correct) and the other RTS with the Judy's.....

mtbr member

Gt Rts 2

Ok......settled on one RTS.....

See image...

Go SOLAR...
    My roommate had a RTS-1. All I remember about that bike was that it weighed a ton. The rest of us rode stumpy HT's and he could plow through anything. Ah....the memories, no wife, kids, just beer and riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    "As Built", by me in 95. Frame number 06930161 was purchased late in 94 and it took six months to piece together, pay for, the rest of it. I saved some bucks by not going full XTR and then spent it elsewhere on the bike. I did do the XTR rear cog set and thought it was worth it. It has the TI replacement bolt set from GT for the frame. Big weight savings there. The only steel is the stearer tube. 26.2 lbs as shown. The rocker bearings are crunchy, not lose, but they need to be replaced. I blew up the Judy damper in about three weeks when it was new and replaced with a Risse damper and White Bros. springs. Way better setup. Yep, that's custom paint on the Judy. You can see red under some scratches.

I just broke a finger off of one of the pawls in the Ringle rear hub. Bummer. Should have gone King.... I got a King in the front though. I've had it out a couple of times with only 5 of the 6 fingers in the rear hub. So far so good but I know it won’t last long.

A new King built wheel for $500 or $1900 on a 2009 Force 2.0? I test drove the Force and love it. Kind of heavy from what I'm used to and I would really miss my 20 tooth up front. I digress…
    Museum piece?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Not a single post on the RTS??-100_2255a.jpg  

Not a single post on the RTS??-100_2258a.jpg  

mtbr member

Original One Owner

Had my RTS-3 since early 1995. Used it for cross country racing and everyday riding all over Australia. Started our purple but it's gone through a few colour changes since then! It was my only bike until 2008... when I bought a Force 3... WOW! I thought the RTS was good but the Force 3 is awesome!!! Now the RTS is about to undergo a rebuild - transferring all the bits on my Force that I've upgraded over to the RTS. Just finished removing the old brake mounts from the rear triangle, ready for a respray and disc brakes (see pic). Next will be putting on the Marzocchi forks (with the travel wound right down). 15 years old and still going strong!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Not a single post on the RTS??-scan0035.jpg  

Not a single post on the RTS??-img_0224.jpg  

GT Force 3 ('08) | GT i-Drive 4 2.0 ('06) | GT RTS 3 ('94)

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    heres a pic of my RTS-3
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Not a single post on the RTS??-rts-3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Ride on!
    Iím waiting on my Noleen to come back from the shopÖ Canít wait. Itís the first time serviced since 95. I road hard for two years then I didnít ride too much after getting married and then a house. Heck, I still have the original tires on the bike.
    Whatís your RTS story?
    Currently unemployed, lost 25 lbs and ready to ride again!
    Bicycles, Bar-B-que and Beer. The best times Iíve ever had. Donít lose them!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast