Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I am loving my GT sensor 9r, and my Free Giro XAR Helmet from Giantnerd

Todd

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by skellener View Post
    I test rode a GT Sensor 9er. I think this is going to be my next bike purchase. Had a great feel.
    You should have jumped on the giantnerd.com price of $1035 shipping included.
    Plus the $65 which I got a $130 msrp helmet for free with after the bike was delivered.

If you are a tall feller, they still have XL's
    If you need a Lg, call them. Somebody here did that after they were removed from the site and still got one.

I will go out on a limb and say you will not find a finer bike for $1k

BTW, my first ride I loved the Aspens but had no problem pushing them to their breaking point this weekend. They are a fast tire, just not overly grippy. I find them fun though as I don't mind a little slide in the rear.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Thanks. I did see that. I even emailed them. Yup, they only have XL left. Looking for a medium myself. No worries. I'll find one. Would prefer a LBS if I can here in the San Fernando Valley - Los Angeles, CA.

Rogue Exterminator
    Buying locally is great and even though you will most likely spend more, you get some things with that price that no online retailer can offer. Such as having the bike put together for you and tuned when you pick it up. Also they will most likely help you at least somewhat set it up to fit and set your suspension for your weight.

Then most offer a free tune up for after break in and some shops even offer life time tune ups.

If you get the Sensor I can honestly say you will love it.

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    No kidding. After extensive demos of the Mach429, Turner Sultan, and Stumpjumper FSR Comp, I really could not find a compelling reason to spend more than the $1600 I paid for mine. The 142mm rear ends are nice, but I just couldn't tell the difference. This bike can hang with the big boys.

If you really want to have some fun, put on a set of Flow Exs and fat tires on this bike. The Flows are much lighter and much wider than the 2012 Elite stockers. You could do plenty more upgrades, but wheels and tires are where the big improvements are.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You should have jumped on the giantnerd.com price of $1035 shipping included.
    Plus the $65 which I got a $130 msrp helmet for free with after the bike was delivered.

If you are a tall feller, they still have XL's
    If you need a Lg, call them. Somebody here did that after they were removed from the site and still got one.

BTW, my first ride I loved the Aspens but had no problem pushing them to their breaking point this weekend. They are a fast tire, just not overly grippy. I find them fun though as I don't mind a little slide in the rear.

Hehe, I got one of the White Giro Xar's for $57 shipped, so I still have some credit about $10. It shipped fast and I got it on Saturday, Love it fits perfect.

I have put about 100 miles on the Sensor 9r, and I love the bike, it is exactly what I wanted.

Todd

mtbr member
    Is there a big difference between the "Elite" and the "Comp"?

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by TAPnTX View Post
    Hehe, I got one of the White Giro Xar's for $57 shipped, so I still have some credit about $10. It shipped fast and I got it on Saturday, Love it fits perfect.

I have put about 100 miles on the Sensor 9r, and I love the bike, it is exactly what I wanted.

Todd
    I got the same one.

We can never ride together.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by skellener View Post
    Is there a big difference between the "Elite" and the "Comp"?
    Little bit nicer components on the Elite but the Comp still is a great bike.

If you don't have to buy locally then Performance cycle has a good deal on the Comp with all the sizes. You may be able to use that to see how close your LBS may get to that price.

2013 GT Sensor 9R Comp Mountain Bike - Huge Savings on 29ers

How tall are you and what is your inseam?

mtbr member
    Thanks again. A chain yes, not a mom & pop, but yes, Performance Bike for me here is actually a LBS.

Rogue Exterminator
    I would go for it then.
    With their 100% performance guarantee, if you do not like it, you should be able to return it.
    However, I will bet you love it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    One word of caution I wanted to add about the Idrive system is the "dogbone" linkage in the system.
    Be sure to keep it well maintained...as well as the rest of the system.
    If you can,try to secure a spare dogbone or two along with any other idrive parts you feel might give trouble.Keep the system greased and cleaned at ALL times.
    Z
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I got the same one.

We can never ride together.

LOL

Todd

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Older thread now but I have to resurrect it some.. I love my GT sensor 29r and at this point have over 1000miles on it and have ridden it for over a year..

This past November the Marzocchi fork and the Fox shock were pretty shot and in need of rebuild both gave up within weeks of eachother.. I decided I would upgrade both the front fork and the shock..

I replaced the fork with a Manitou Dorado pro 29r and for the shock went with the Cane Creek DBairCS.. Both are long travel with 175mm front and added some travel to the shock at 7.875 vs 7.5.. Both work amazingly well. The rear now has 145mm of travel and there is no interference anywhere.. I've been running it this way since November so this is 4 months and I have to say.. The bike is even more plush now and more capable than ever.. Awe inspiring..

Also Rockshox reverb 120mm dropper.

as for tires. The aspens are good for light trail riding but I prefer Conti TRail kings.. roll pretty good and super traction.. Roll easier than Nevagals..

Anyhow, love the GT29r looking to get a second one in a Medium to make into a full suspension fatbike..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Not much love on MTBR for Sensor 9r's, so here is mine-20131004_115629.jpg  

Rogue Exterminator
    You are running that much travel on the Sensor 9r?

Anyways, about a year with about 3k miles on mine. All original parts until the other day when I replaced the bottom bracket, chain and all the gears.
    All suspension components are still good but probably won't be long for time to rebuild/replace.

Cane Creek is a good choice for an upgrade. They are a local company for me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    tickled that there are so many happy Sensor 9r owners out there.

I am one too.

Not much love on MTBR for Sensor 9r's, so here is mine-bike.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    You are running that much travel on the Sensor 9r?

Anyways, about a year with about 3k miles on mine. All original parts until the other day when I replaced the bottom bracket, chain and all the gears.
    All suspension components are still good but probably won't be long for time to rebuild/replace.

Cane Creek is a good choice for an upgrade. They are a local company for me.
    Yup.. that much travel.. amazing on the rooty, rocky trails here.. Coupled with the 29" tires it's just an amazing machine..

Nice you got 3K on your ride and only needed that little work..

I would love to do longer rides and more often but it always seems something get's in the way.. I end up riding by myself mostly.. You?

Nice having them (CC) around the corner.. I'd be over there getting as much info as possible setting these shock's up..

I've also changed out the elixir3's for Elixir 9's F&R as well as X7 trip crank and XTR shifters.. XO front ring changer.. My bike weighs 39lbs now.. Not a light weight but not bad since it's mostly suspension...

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by jennifer012904 View Post
    Yup.. that much travel.. amazing on the rooty, rocky trails here.. Coupled with the 29" tires it's just an amazing machine..
    That is insane.

There are lots of rocks and roots around here too but I think I will stick the factory specs on mine. lol

I would love to do longer rides and more often but it always seems something get's in the way.. I end up riding by myself mostly.. You?
    Mostly with friends but occasionally by myself. Sometimes I will even go on ride with friends then when they are done head out by myself.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    That is insane.

There are lots of rocks and roots around here too but I think I will stick the factory specs on mine. lol

Mostly with friends but occasionally by myself. Sometimes I will even go on ride with friends then when they are done head out by myself.

I used to feel the same way till I switched.. I had a backup plan when I bought the Dorado.. I'd try it and if I didn't like it I'd move it over to FS fatbike..

It's also saved me a few times on some drops with steep lips at the bottom.. With lesser suspension travel the fork would have bottomed out and locked up.. Leading to face plant.. Been there done that.. With the Dorado it simply sucked up all the energy and allowed for the energy to be displaced.. It was amazing..

Nice on the riding.. Where do you hale from.. I'm in
    Central MA..

Rogue Exterminator
    Yeah, I understand the advantages of more suspension but the geometry of the bike is just not designed for it. Just don't want to sacrifice the handling or warranty. If it makes you smile though then that is awesome.

I live near Asheville NC a few miles from Pisgah National Forest and DuPont State Forest.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    ... for the shock went with the Cane Creek DBairCS.. Both are long travel with 175mm front and added some travel to the shock at 7.875 vs 7.5.. Both work amazingly well. The rear now has 145mm of travel and there is no interference anywhere.. I've been running it this way since November so this is 4 months and I have to say.. The bike is even more plush now and more capable than ever.. Awe inspiring..
    holy cow, isnt that like a $625 shock??? my wallet is cringing.

so my question: any 7.875 length shock will just push the rear frame triangle down a little further, right? so the end of the shock will be about .375" closer to the seat tube, when not loaded?

.375" of extra shock travel then becomes about an extra 25mm of extra rear wheel travel?

This sounds like a pretty dang good idea if it works like that...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Yes, you hit it right on the head.. and it was 620.00.

Funny thing is I just walked by the 9r when I was down stairs just a minute ago and was looking at the beauty and was thinking how amazing it is that just that little difference makes up so much and then also was thinking of a way to get even more rear suspension out of it. I'd have to move the top shock mount.. Maybe in the future..

With the CCDACS. The part that is stationary is the head part vs the canister.. So the space between the 2 is very small... Maybe like 1.2" this means the shock will ride all the way up till this point vs a longer part that bottoms out the shock..

The 1/2" or so gap with the stock shock between the shock eye and the rear seat stay/tube is only about 1/8" now.

Also when I had measured before I bought the shock I was concerned with the lower Idrive pivot and any interference with the bottom suspension arm and the pivot but there hasn't been any contact there either. With this being said I'm not sure if it would work on others frames since I measured mine and everything lined up perfectly..

On that note with the rear shock fully collapsed I still have 2" of clearance between the bottom of the pedal and the ground with the pedal/arm in it's full downwards position and shock bottomed out and about 2" of clearance with the front derailleur cable stay/swing arm spacer and the seat tube, shock fully compressed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    One other thing.. If you bike came stock with Marzocchi tst120.. There is a spacer inside you can remove to get 140mm travel..

Marzocchi 44 Travel Change?
    Last edited by jennifer012904; 03-24-2014 at 03:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    that would be too convenient...

my bike came with the tk air recon gold (120mm)

i'm going to look hard at getting a 7.875x2 rear shock. i regularly push the little o-ring all the way off the end of the "piston," and its already aired up for over my weight.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by L8APXR View Post
    that would be too convenient...

my bike came with the tk air recon gold (120mm)

i'm going to look hard at getting a 7.875x2 rear shock. i regularly push the little o-ring all the way off the end of the "piston," and its already aired up for over my weight.
    Okay now for the disclaimer.. I did contact GT about the change before I did mine and they said under no circumstances should I change the shock or fork length..

I did so on my own accord understanding that by changing them I alone would be accepting any liability for any type of failure induced but such a change because I myself changed them..

This would have to be the case for anybody doing this swap because it worked for me doesn't mean it will work for you. so if something should happen in relation to the suspension change of components you will have to be willing to accept the liability since you changed it yourself and neither myself nor GT bikes recommends the changing of any suspension component..

My bike is a size LG.. Be sure and check all your suspension points for contact.. If the swing arm makes contact with the drive hub I'm sure it would fail in short order..

Not sure about anybody else's bike because of the measuring I did, so personally can't recommend the change. It certainly worked for me though.. So you would have to accept any problems associated with a longer suspension setup..

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast