Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Yeah, Aspens probably aren't a real effective snow tire. If you're able to buy new tires now after laying down $$$ for the bike, check out the Geax Gato 2.3. It's a killer mud tire, available in standard folding bead, but also in a Tube/No Tube (TNT) form that works great with standard (not tubeless) rims. You just need a wrap of Stan's tape and a tubeless valve, and they mount up with no heroics required.

The best part about running them tubeless is you can run really low pressure without risk of pinch flats. I've run my Gatos as low as 18 lbs (I'm 190 lbs) and they hold fine. At such low pressure, they have amazing grip, but they still don't feel too squishy or loose.

It's on sale right now at Cambria for $35.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Deleted.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Have heard good things about the Gatos before, especially regarding similar conditions to what I saw today. Haven't gone tubeless on ever of my bikes yet, but if I can make my current rims work tubeless without too many headaches, I may give it a shot. Still new to biking, so I've got a lot still to learn about wrenching & general maintenance. Thnx for the tip on the Gatos.

mtbr member

Silver with blue bits - so shiny - GT Sensor Pro 9r

Well made the decision to go with the Sensor. Walked into LBS and there it was saying buy me! Silver and Blue - looks so good.

So picked up a 2012 Sensor Pro 9r and best of all 25% of price - the VISA card was out pretty fast...

I did take it for test ride then took an Anthem X for a blat and went with the GT.

When people write that their bike climbs like a goat I just assumed they could climb well anyway - well this thing climbs like a mountain goat - did a annual race on saturday and was biking (and passing people) when they were walking up the tracks.

Love it on the flats and another strange feeling for me as well as I kept passing people - thats not the way it was on the 26er - maybe new bike psychosomatic effect - otherwise moving to the 9r been a great thing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Not much love on MTBR for Sensor 9r's, so here is mine-gt-sensor-pro.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Well that's a beautifull Sensor!
    Hope you enjoy it!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Congratulations Really nice bike and that is some awesome scenery in the back ground too.

Todd

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    That Sensor really is a handsome bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I picked up on of the Sensor 29R's Expert from Giant nerd too. Price was awesome.. I have a 35" inseam 5'11" and was told to buy and XL by both Giantnerd and GT bikes.

I got it and immediately called them to order a LG and swapped them out. The Lg or even a medium would fit the build since these are a larger frame bike. The LG fits well.

My first bike on recommended by a freind: Motobecane DS Fantom Pro pedals nice and its rear suspension is dialed in real nice as is the front for fast jumps and stuff but with the roots being plenty I was still getting beat up.. This prompted me to look at the 29R's and after dumping money on the Motorbecane I couldn't justify spending 2-3K on a 29r.

The GT just soaks up the bumps.. Wish someone would post up how to remove the spacerst to get 140mm out of the forks. Hint, hint..

I have to say, my riding has excelled on the GT compared to my Motobecane DSPro. I take everything faster.. It just pedals really easy. I was going up stuff with the twin crankset I couldn't pull on my 26" with triple front bike and I was in 1 or 2 gears smaller.

After half dozen rides with some serious pushing I did swap out the double for a triple.. 22, 33, 44 SRam X7 with X0 top pull front deraillure I've only been riding for a couple of months now so a Newb anyhow ever since switching to the triple my knees don't hurt anymore.

Some of the stuff I have been tackling seems sereal, since I in no way should be able to pull some of these stuff off..

Anyhow, I love the bike and it's my go to. I used the Aspens in just about everything and they do get a little loose on really hard pumps on snow, wet leaves, wet roots, but if I watch the power output I have been able to climb stuff my 26 with Kenda Nevagal 2.35 front and rear wouldn't even touch.

I did get a WTB 2.55 Wierwolf I want to try and haven't had time or inclination to yet. I also have Kenda Nevegal 2.35 29's for the GT of which on the 26 I can hardly stand the rolling resistance.

For the money I don't think you could find a better bike. I also talked one of my friends into buying 1. He got a Medium, First ride out he was very impressed and wasn't nearly as exhausted. He was riding a solid tail vintage Smith & Wesson Police MTB.

I used to smoke him like he was standing still.. The last ride out and first time on the GT instead of averging 5.5 MPH over 17miles, we did 7.5mph over 17miles.

Now there is 15" of snow on the ground.. .

mtbr member
    Anybody notice any clicking sounds from the front end of the bike? I have a ticking sound that still is there even after sending the fork to Marzocchi, and just replaced the headset with a Cane Creek 40 series.

Rogue Exterminator
    Just ordered the Sensor 9er Elite from Giant Nerd for $1035 shipped.
    Just could not beat the price.
    It is the black with orange writing.

Hopefully it will be in soon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jvm051 View Post
    Anybody notice any clicking sounds from the front end of the bike? I have a ticking sound that still is there even after sending the fork to Marzocchi, and just replaced the headset with a Cane Creek 40 series.
    When does the clicking noise take place? Did you ask Marzocchi about this when you sent it to them?

Rogue Exterminator
    Got her today and had her slapped together in no time.
    Still need to do the tune up but after that she is ready to ride.

So far the only thing added is the Arrogant Bastard to the seat but that will be removed before this arrogant bastard rides it.

BTW, the free shipping from Giant Nerd was really fast.
    Ordered it the night of the 17th they shipped it the 18th and it was at my door on the 23.
    Also, I did not pay extra Genius build and there was still hardly anything to put together.
    Slid the seat in the seat tube, bolted the bars to the headset (everything else was already mounted) put the front rotor on, installed the front wheel, and put the pedals on. All that is left is the tune up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    That looks awesome, Congratulations

Mine shipped today from them as well

Cant wait to read the first ride report

Todd

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by TAPnTX View Post
    That looks awesome, Congratulations

Mine shipped today from them as well

Cant wait to read the first ride report

Todd
    Can't wait to be able to give one. lol
    Probably be this weekend.

Anyways the bike seems solid and GT really added some touches to to it and I don't just mean the paint scheme. Tires however, look like they won't suit me very well. I ride Pisgah and Dupont and the Aspens just do not look aggressive for the terrain here. However, I knew that going in to the purchase.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I have to agree about the Aspens. They've left me "unimpressed" to say the least. Ordered a Nobby Nic to try on the front. Should get here in time to test it out this weekend. Trying to decide on a front tire has left me mentally exhausted. I'll figure out a replacement for the rear Aspen when the brain recovers.

Rogue Exterminator
    My Geax Saguaro are pretty good and they rate well.
    Not saying I would get them over some others but they do the trick.
    I flipped the rear for traction and have the front for speed.

The aspens are not listed for multi direction use though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Sensor 9r Elite Brakes

kjlued,

I was looking through the 2012 GT catalog and it says the Sensor 9r Elite has Avid Elixir 3, but all the specs I see online say it is the Elixir 1's. Since you have one is it 1's or 3's?

Thanks,
    Todd

Rogue Exterminator
    Elixir 1

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Elixir 1
    Ok thanks, everything I have read about them says they are good. I am not a big brake person so not a biggie for me.

BTW, the Deore Stuff on the bike should be pretty good, I guess it changed in 2010 and the newer stuff is really nice.

Todd

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mackt View Post
    Well made the decision to go with the Sensor. Walked into LBS and there it was saying buy me! Silver and Blue - looks so good.

So picked up a 2012 Sensor Pro 9r and best of all 25% of price - the VISA card was out pretty fast...

I did take it for test ride then took an Anthem X for a blat and went with the GT.

When people write that their bike climbs like a goat I just assumed they could climb well anyway - well this thing climbs like a mountain goat - did a annual race on saturday and was biking (and passing people) when they were walking up the tracks.

Love it on the flats and another strange feeling for me as well as I kept passing people - thats not the way it was on the 26er - maybe new bike psychosomatic effect - otherwise moving to the 9r been a great thing.
    Awesome bike, I got one last year for a couple of rides. Going down it feels amazing, I could stay with guys that normally drop me after three or four turns. Too bad I already have too many bikes. Great value for money.

Rogue Exterminator
    Ok, after riding it today for the first time, one word comes to mind.

Brilliant!

The bike is a little harder to climb with then my hard tail but that is to be expected.
    However, on the down hills, this thing more than makes up for it and handles like a cat on carpet. Also to my surprise, I was expecting to hate the tires but the Maxxis Aspens actually did a lot better that expected. I was pleasantly surprised with them.

I know there are higher end and better bikes out there, but bang for the buck, this thing is great. Even at the MSRP price of $2k, it is a great bike and well worth it. That being said, all of us who lucked out and got it for half that price at giantnerd.com should be arrested because we got a steal.

Another pic of the bike on the ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I agree 100% Fantastic bike

I also took my bike out to day for its maiden voyage and was also expecting to hate the Aspens, but they worked flawlessly. I just cant say enough good things about this bike. I know there are much batter bikes out there, But for the money this bike is really hard to beat. And Ginatnerd was awesome to deal with.

i had thought about changing the Derailleurs and the shifters to XT, but i see no reason at this time. The Deore stuff worked perfectly.

Todd

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Loving this thread! It continues to affirm my feeling that I got a good bike at a great price. Took my Sensor out this morning for the first time since switching the front tire from the stock Aspen to a new Nobby Nic. Although I never thought the Aspen was a "bad" tire, it just never gave me a ton of confidence in it when cornering. First impression with the Nic on front was great though. While it still felt like it rolled pretty well, the cornering grip was better and more predictable than the Aspen. No immediate plans to replace the Aspen on the rear. The Nic/Aspen combination seems at least serviceable for the time being.

With the Nic on the front, it seems like it's taken the Sensor up another notch for me. And with the money I saved on the bike, the $45 spent on the Nobby Nic still feels like money well spent!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Aspens work fine

mtbr member
    I test rode a GT Sensor 9er. I think this is going to be my next bike purchase. Had a great feel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast