mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Newbie needs help with what fork to upgrade to

Sorry guys/gals as I'm sure this topic has been beat to death but I've got some cash burn'n a hole in my pocket and want to know a few possible fork upgrades that you all would suggest.

My ride is an '07 GT avalanche 2.0 with a RST fork. I'm 5'10" and 170lbs. Most of my riding is mountain single track. Some possibilities from the other info. I've reaped from the forum and other places are the following forks. Rock Shox Tora, Marzocchi MX Pro, Marzocchi XC600 forks, RS Revelation. The reviews on these are pretty decent, but I don't know if they work well with the Avalanche frame, etc.

Let me know if there is a better option than one of these. Like the title says I'm relatively new to mtb so I don't have any prior experience.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Eric

808+909 = Party Good Time
    it would be worth reposting this in the general or beginner forums where there is a lot more activity since it's not a GT specific question anyhow... sorry i can't help more

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Chumbox, I appreciate the note. I'll repost there.

thanks,

E

No good in rock gardens..
    Any 100mm fork will work just fine. If you can find a Reba in your budget, I highly recommend them.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for the feedback. I'll start looking for one. Is this the kind of fork you have?

thanks,

E

Quote Originally Posted by gexas
    Thanks for the feedback. I'll start looking for one. Is this the kind of fork you have?

thanks,

E
    Yes, I have a Reba SL, as do two of my buddies. They are a plush and very tunable fork and mine's two years old now with zero issues of any sort.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Would you say that the Reba fork might be a little overkill or is it everything that the intermediate mountain biker should have in a front suspension fork? Also, I've found a few used ones that seem to be in pretty decent shape. Is a fork something that should be bought used sight unseen or is it like stereo equipment...which you should never buy sight unseen.

Thanks for all the info.

E

Would you say that the Reba fork might be a little overkill or is it everything that the intermediate mountain biker should have in a front suspension fork?
    They are a nice bit of kit, and nice gear is nice gear, regardless of your skill level. They are light, stiff and plush and very adjustable.

The Tora you mentioned would also be OK, but you'll pay a weight penalty, if that matters.

Also, I've found a few used ones that seem to be in pretty decent shape. Is a fork something that should be bought used sight unseen or is it like stereo equipment...which you should never buy sight unseen.

Thanks for all the info.

E
    It can be risky buying a fork second hand, like anything else that is complex, there is a lot that can go wrong and you don't know it's history. Sometimes you can find new "pull offs" on eBay, that have come off new bikes that have been parted out and the bits sold separately. That's how I got mine, and how one of my buddies got his too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I looked at the weights between the two and the reba looked like it was about 1/2 lighter. Since my bike isn't really a light weight anyway this isn't that big of an issue.

So, since weight really isn't a factor both shocks would be on equal footing for the most part? Would I be able to tell a difference between the reba and the tora????

Good points on a used fork.

E

It depends which model Tora - there are three, being the 318, the 302 and the 289, which is the base model. The 318 and 302 have a few different options (air or coil spring) and adjustable compression and rebound on the 318, and lockout. The 289 is the base model which is coil spring only with adjustable rebound and no lockout.

All Reba's are air sprung and can be locked out, and have external rebound and compression damping.

A lockout can be a nice feature if you are riding smooth tracks, wanting to sprint without any suspension bob, and so on. It's certainly not essential though.

A Tora would certainly be a capable trail riding fork.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Awesome and that gives me some options. Thank-you for the feedback.

E

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Any of the forks you mentioned would be an improvement over the RST. I have a little first hand experience with the Marzocchi xc600 and it would be an excellent choice- 100-140mm travel, adjustable lockout, rebound, etc.. The adjustable travel would be nice because you could run it at 100mm most of the time and bump it up when necessary.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I'll throw another option out there. The Rock Shox Dart 3. It is very nicely priced with or without lockout and is a great fork that would fit that frame nicely. I got one for my brother and he rides it hard. Does 3'-4' drops no problem so far. From the times I have ridden around on his bike it feels like a very nice shock and the price was unbeatable for a brand new set up, it also go good reviews on mtbr.
    Sometimes your the windshield, other times just the bug. That's life. (c:
    Mountain Biking Apparel

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Just wanted to circle back on this. I bought an '08 Reba SL fork and it is AWESOME. I got a super deal on it, never used before, on a nationally known auction site.

E

Cool - I bet it makes a HUGE difference over the RST. My Reba SL has been going strong for 2 years now and I haven't had to touch it once. Great trail forks those Rebas.