mtbr member
    Apr 2008

New member with GT Ricochet

Hey everyone. I have had my GT Ricochet since 1997 and getting back into biking again after about 8 years off My Ricochet needs to have some things replaced on it and wondering if it is better to replace everything or spend the money on a new GT. I'm not too familiar with the new bikes but I just bought my girlfriend a GT Avalanche and it doesn't seem to be as "heavy duty" as my old Ricochet. The ricochet frame seems to have outlived the components that came on it. I searched and couldn't find a darn thing about the Ricochet. Is this because it's not as good as the other GTs? How would the frame compare to the newer frames of today? I know that when I had a slight crack in the frame I had a professionally fix it and he was surprised at the quality of the frame and how it was powder coated.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    It all depends on what you are going to upgrade dude. It can get expensive real quick. It all depends on how much you like the frame. Newer bikes are much better if you are willing to spend the money on it. I'd say, if you have around 6 or 7 hundred to spend then buy a bike, if not then spend 2 to 3 hundred to upgrade your old one. I'm getting an old steel GT frame to upgrade and turn into a singlespeed for the fun of it, but I do have a newer GT Team I-drive from 2001 with some great parts on it. The ride in the newer bike is definitelly better. Good luck.

Jorge V

mtbr member
    Is your Ricochet steel or aluminum framed? What color?
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    7005 Ball burnished. Probably less than 50 miles on it. Just sat out in the weather for a season and the components went to crap.