mtbr member

New headset with new fork?

1998 GT Timberline with original Tioga 1 1/8 headset

I'm going to replace the stock GT cro-mo fork with a a rigid disc fork and was wondering if I can use any crown race for the new fork. Is there a universal race that I can just use or will I need to use one that's specific to the Tioga headset or should I replace the headset as well, which I prefer not to since that's extra money.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    If your ogirinal fork and headset are 1 1/8 you can (and should) use the same crown race.
    Be very carefull when removing it not to damage the race, fork or your hand. Better yet, your local bike shop will be able to remove it for you and fit it to your new fork for just a few bucks. If that's where you bought the fork they may not even charge you.
    I'm Ron Burgundy?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I personally never had an issue taking the race out of the old fork with a small impact driver, tapping carefully from all directions 3~4 times going around. Race is headset specific so more than likely you need the same race. Is it the one with loose bearings? If so, new cartridge sealed headset won't sit on it.