mtbr member
    Jul 2008

New Gt Lts1 Frame I Need Help

i am thinking of buying a new old stock gt lts1 1996 frame with never used rock shox super deluxe rear shock found in a back of a bike shop for 300 . i already have shimano saint cranks and fox front forks and the rest is all xt parts from my old bike. i and not sure if it is worth . i heard good things about this frame i included a pic. i just ride dirt trails never getting huge air. i am 6' 4 and weight 220 , the frame is a 21. should i spend more and go newer. the bike shop had newer old stock but told me a will happy with this one and when released was one of the best bike and still have a big following. is that correct
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    are you sure that has a 1-1/8" headtube?
    From 1996, I would bet it has a 1" headtube, which limits your fork choice to some super cheapo RST forks.

If it has a 1" headtube, don't buy it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    yes it does. all my newer parts are going to fit this frame. saint cranks and fox forks

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    yes it does

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I ride a 96 LTS-1 as my main bike (but lately I'm becoming a 29er convert).
    Yes he is correct in that it was arguably the best full-susp. bike in its day. But, you have to remember that its day was 1996 - 13 yrs ago. If you can be satisfied within the capabilities of the frame, then it's a great deal.
    The bike came with a "long travel" Judy XC that was rated at 75mm of travel, but probably got more like 60, so you can't slap a modern 5-6" travel fork on it. I'm currently running a 100mm Bomber on mine and it's still within acceptable geometry for me.
    You wont be able to run more than a 2.1 tire in back.
    Also, look at the coil spring on the rear shock and see what weight it is. At 220# you'll need at least a 750# spring, if not an 800. Hopefully the larger frame came with a heavier spring.
    It does have a 1 1/8 head tube. You might want to have the head tube and BB shell faced before you build it up.

Sounds like you plan on buying it. Post some pics when it's built up and have fun.