mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Need some Help XCR-5000

I have the old school XCR-5000 that I'm trying to set up as a XC trainer.

This thing is beat... I needs a new fork, new rear shock, new crankset, and some TLC on the XTR components that I replaced a few years ago.

I need some help choosing the components.

Trying to stay cheap, remember this is just a trainer. Heavy gear is ok, it will help me train. I have no idea what crankset I need, I mean, no idea which one will fit. Anyone have any ideas?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I love the old XCR's!

Any of the newer GXP type cranks will fit because they use spacers instead of a specific spindle length. From memory i think you'l need one spacer on the non drive side, but i'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong on that.

I can recommend the Truvativ Firex. It's very cheap, but still a great crank. The 09 Firex is actually the Stylo crank from a few years back, so it's very good.

There are always lower level Rock Shox on clearance at the bigger stores so you can pick up a real bargain. Recon's and Tora's should be easy to find at good price and are very good for the cash. The Dart's are good but a little on the hefty side for not that much less cash.

I always have trouble finding a good deal on rear shocks. But try the big shops they may have something in your size like a Fox Float R or a Rock Shox Bar. Even the Manitou Swingers were a good little shock if you can find one.

Hope that helps a little bit. You'l have to throw some pics up for us!

Anyone else know what size shock Swimaway will need for his XCR?
    I'm Ron Burgundy?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    It should be a 6.5 x 1.5. I had a Cane creek Ad-12 on my first I-drive XCR 4000. That shock was pretty good and held my weight of 215 lb. They used to run a special at cane creek where you can trade your old shock in and get a discount on the AD-12. Don't know if that still applies. Hey, if you can find a cheap one on ebay that'll work. I agree with eatyapeas..get a new crank like the truvativs, raceface and maybe shimano slx. I have a spacer on both sides of my truvativ. It may only need one though. I don't know that yet. I also ran a sealed headset from cane creek too. Post pics when you get done
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thank you both for the info. I think this is going to be a long, but rewarding task.

eatyapeas - Do you know the length of the crank arms? is it 170 or 175??

Also, does anyone have a recommendation on a rear cassette?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I'm 6'1 with fairly long legs so i roll a 175. 170's just feel like my feet are spinning tiny
    little circles, but if you're a fair bit shorter than i am a 170 might feel good.

A good indicator is your frame size. If you run a S or XS, 170 will probly be the go. If your on a Med or anything bigger you'll most likely prefer a 175. All cranks should be available in both sizes.

With the cassette if your after something reliable but cheap to get you going a Shimano Deore or SRAM PG50 cassette are good ones. The Shimano will probly be easier to find and maybe a few dollars cheaper. Both are compatable with each others chains so you have no issues there.

Project bikes always so much fun. Every bit you get makes the bike so much better and makes you twice as pumped to get the next bit!!!

Enjoy it mate, you'll have a ball!
    I'm Ron Burgundy?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by swimaway
    eatyapeas - Do you know the length of the crank arms? is it 170 or 175??
    I have a '99 xcr4000 medium frame and the stock cranks are 175.

Slowly but surely...
    For the rear shock, you may want to check out ebay. I just picked up a new old stock 5th element air for mine for $65. I had to fabricate the mount, though, but it rides better than my old SID
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash.
    - Juli Furtado