Get Some!

Need rear off a sanction, gt was no help. (SOLVED)

So basically i spent about an hour today on the phone with different bike shops, and gt themselves, trying to figure out a solution to my cracked rear triangle on my 2009 sanction.
    First, when i broke it i called my mechanic who told me i have to go through a dealer to get the part, but that because it was a hassle he would give me a break on labor. Awesome gesture, but i can do it myself. so i called performance who would not even give me a quote if i didn't bring it in for them to inspect. we settled on a picture being emailed. they email their gt contact who was out of town for a few weeks and made me wait to answer my question.
    my question was "assuming this is not covered by my warranty, how much would replacing my rear triangle be if i just bought it our right?"
    2 or 3 weeks later i get a response "we are sorry, we don't cary that item for that year"
    so i ask them to check compatible years and they told me to check myself... are you kidding me? I buy a GT because they are a big name, i don't need to worry about them not being here to help me out next year like my iron horse, and they wont even tell me which year bikes i can swap the triangle on?!

Every time i have an issue with my bike that needs parts from gt I call them, they send me to performance, they call gt, gt tells them they don't have it, performance tells me to get bent. I have NEVER once gotten a question answered, or a problem solved. I cant find a rear triangle anywhere, google, ebay, craigslist, and GT's response was "maybe try bikepedia" for answers.

What is the point of buying from a big name instead of a boutique brand if the customer service is going to be this terrible!? As much as i have loved riding my Sanction i don't think i can ever recommend GT to anyone again.
    Last edited by Theycallmebrown; 08-28-2012 at 02:59 PM.

MTBR Member since 2001...
    Greetings,
    Sorry to hear about this. Who's fault it is doesn't matter.

This is what I see as a fellow rider and GT owner. Defect or not, you are looking to get your 3 yr old bike back in running condition, and are willing to do so at your own expense. GT is NOT willing to help, nor can they even supply the part. So what are you suppose to do??? Buy a new frame?

While my GT (an '08) has been trouble free for the most part, I would, like you did expect that I could buy a replacement part for a bike this age.

I don't think you made an unreasonable request. It's slightly worrisome the number of posts I've seen from others stating that warranty issues, claims or basic service related requests have been ignored or denied by GT/Pacific. This is not true for everyone, but it seems to be more common instead of erring on the side of the customer (based on what others here are posting). This is not the type of manufacturer I want to support by buying their products. Of course opinions and experiences vary.

My GT has been good to me, but your experience has given me pause. My Force is going up for sale in about 3 months.
    '11 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    '08 GT Force 3
    Giant
    Moto
    Trek
    Others

Get Some!
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowsports View Post
    Greetings,
    Sorry to hear about this. Who's fault it is doesn't matter.

This is what I see as a fellow rider and GT owner. Defect or not, you are looking to get your 3 yr old bike back in running condition, and are willing to do so at your own expense. GT is NOT willing to help, nor can they even supply the part. So what are you suppose to do??? Buy a new frame?

This is not the type of manufacturer I want to support by buying their products.
    This. Exactly this. I have no idea if it was faulty workmanship, or if I put it through more abuse than it was designed for. Either way, I am willing to pay for a new rear triangle.

When I decided on the GT sanction as my "do it all" bike, I did so because it was a beast! Weighing in (after my choice of tires/tubes/pedals/rims) at 39.4 pounds. The only excuse a bike made in the last 5 years to weigh this much is that it was built like a tank and will not break. Correct me if I am wrong, but a bike that weighs almost 40 pounds should not break during all mountain riding. I donít do big jumps, I donít do big drops, I donít ride BootlegÖ I ride trails with 3k of climbing and decent. Sometimes Iíll do a park, or a shuttle run, sometimes Iíll hit the local jumps but Iím not good enough to hit any of the big stuff, besides, my friends on their 30 pound whips are hitting the big stuff all day long without breaking.

Sure there are plenty of other heavy, burly bikes, but like my last beast of a bike, an iron horseÖ when I needed customer support I find out thy went out of business! So I buy a GT thinking, ďthey will be around a while, I can count on them to be around if something breaksĒ and, well, I was only half rightÖ They are around, but unwilling to help.

Iím having my first kid in 3 weeks, buying a whole new frame is not an option. If every time a triangle breaks I have to replace the whole frame why the hell would I compromise by buying a heavy bike? I might as well buy a Trek Remedy frame used for a grand if Iím just going to be replacing the whole thing anyways. Replacing the triangle is easy work, I can do that in about an hour and be ready to roll, replacing the whole frame? I donít have a press, and I hope my fork fits the new one, and my crank, and my through axle wheelsÖ

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Theycallmebrown View Post
    So basically i spent about an hour today on the phone with different bike shops, and gt themselves, trying to figure out a solution to my cracked rear triangle on my 2009 sanction.
    First, when i broke it i called my mechanic who told me i have to go through a dealer to get the part, but that because it was a hassle he would give me a break on labor. Awesome gesture, but i can do it myself. so i called performance who would not even give me a quote if i didn't bring it in for them to inspect. we settled on a picture being emailed. they email their gt contact who was out of town for a few weeks and made me wait to answer my question.
    my question was "assuming this is not covered by my warranty, how much would replacing my rear triangle be if i just bought it our right?"
    2 or 3 weeks later i get a response "we are sorry, we don't cary that item for that year"
    so i ask them to check compatible years and they told me to check myself... are you kidding me? I buy a GT because they are a big name, i don't need to worry about them not being here to help me out next year like my iron horse, and they wont even tell me which year bikes i can swap the triangle on?!

Every time i have an issue with my bike that needs parts from gt I call them, they send me to performance, they call gt, gt tells them they don't have it, performance tells me to get bent. I have NEVER once gotten a question answered, or a problem solved. I cant find a rear triangle anywhere, google, ebay, craigslist, and GT's response was "maybe try bikepedia" for answers.

What is the point of buying from a big name instead of a boutique brand if the customer service is going to be this terrible!? As much as i have loved riding my Sanction i don't think i can ever recommend GT to anyone again.
    Check your PMs
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

Get Some!
    LBS called me back. said GT *may be willing to replace my bike for the warranty cost. I donít have any more details than that, but they said they would look into it and call me back when they have something solid from GT.
    Still doesnít help much, considering Iím broke as a joke currently. But itís a nice gesture to those who maybe arenít expecting a baby in a week or two.

I'm currently asking around in Arizona if anyone knows someone who does aluminum welding, I might try that option if I can find someone cheap.

Chamois Dropper
    Do any GT reps post here? It would be nice to just get a definitive response, like "we have no triangles left, but this is what a warranty frame costs" or something. I've called GT 3 times in as many weeks just looking for a part number on a small part and can't get anyone in tech to return my voicemails. I love my GT but the customer service is discouraging.
    2008 GT Force
    Go Veg

Get Some!
    So my LBS called me back. They have been amazing and have been fighting for me, I will for sure be referring friends to them and shopping with them more from now on.
    After 3 calls, and a few emails from performance bike to GT they could do nothing to help. My LBS called and not only was able to find a triangle, but was able to get GT to replace it FULL warranty (free). They even are willing to do the labor for free. I havenít decided if I want them to do the swap, or if I want to do it myself so I can use my own grease, tape the dropouts/etcÖ to prevent creaking. Iíll probably just swap them the triangle and do it myself, but the fact that they offered is amazing.

This is both a win for the LBS and GT. GT, after initially not showing anything in their inventory, was able to dig one up and were willing to give it to me, without proof of original purchase, HUGE customer service points. My LBS was willing to actually spend time with them on the phone, checking compatible year frames, and asking them to check again, HUGE customer service points.
    And itís a win for me, I get to keep riding my bike, and feed this addiction that has overtaken my life!

All in all, It is a bit frustrating that GT wonít have anything to do with customers themselves, I wish they would at least talk to you, give you advice, be real people you know? But in the end it turns out they are just putting their trust in their distributors, so make sure you buy from someone you trust too, not a big shop.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Performance isn't doing anyone any favors, at least the one on the west side of town (AZ). The %$#@& that works there told me to call GT and order my parts directly. I bet this guy wonders why hes 40 and making 9 bucks an hour.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    My LBS has always been there for me. Too bad he doesn't carry GT anymore, but I will still support them with other stuff. Their mechanic is pretty awesome. I won't take my stuff to anyone else. I do most of my stuff but I will always look to him when I'm in way over my head.
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.